New Zen Samurai:)

Markus77

Region
Canada
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience purchasing a Zen E-bike in case anyone here is looking to potentially do the same. This is my first E-bike, so you can take what follows with a grain of salt;) First off, I decided to go for an E-bike after a work colleague was commuting with one. I really enjoy riding my mountain bike in the trails and have a road bike as well, but never really considered commuting due to needing to carry stuff, run errands on the way home from work, and the number one reason: not wanting to arrive at work sweaty and uncomfortable. After researching a bit, I think the E-bike can address all of these to some degree.

I went down the wormhole of research, and of course the bikes I really liked were priced too high:( I knew I wanted a quality bike with quality components, but wasn’t able to spend what the dealerships were asking. Was almost going to give up and wait another year when I came across the Zen Samurai. It checked off plenty of boxes: mid-drive, internal gear hub, belt drive, quality components, and a warranty with Bosch that I could get serviced locally if need be. I sent off an email to Zen with a few questions I had, and within a few minutes Ravi the co-founder of the company phoned me back to talk about the bike and answer all my questions! He was patient with my texts over the following few days and I felt like this was a great company and I really like what they are trying to do - plus they are making this happen out of Canada which I think is amazing.

I placed my order and they began building my bike, and sent me some pics of the process which of course added to my excitement. My only nit pick came with shipping where the tracking number I was provided with from UPS didn’t really provide much information and of course I was trying to be able to organize being home when it would be delivered. Eventually this got sorted out, but it was probably more complicated than it needed to be. The bike was packed neatly and safely, and was easy to assemble. You can tell it is a quality product and everything felt precise and well put together. This was one of the aspects I was a little worried about - ordering a bike through the mail and not being able to go into a shop and try it out, and if anything is wrong what then? Anyway, just wanted to put it out there that my experience with this was great. Actually, much easier than the purchase I made for my wife last year at out local bike shop where I had to take the bike back 3 times to get the front brakes working properly.

I haven’t gotten a chance to ride the bike that much - I think I‘ve put just over 50km on it so far. But it feels great. Super smooth and comfortable, and the mid drive has plenty of power so that there will be no need for me to work up a sweat on the way to work;) I added a front rack so I can carry some items from the store etc. on the way home, I got a pannier and trunk bag so plenty of room for everything I need to cart back and forth to work. Really pleased with the bike and Zen as a company. If you’re considering their bikes I would highly recommend them. I think I they offer amazing value compared to what else is out there and they seem like really good people. Happy to answer any questions you may have and I’ll post a couple pics;) For reference I’m 6’1” 170lbs and went with the size large - fits great:)

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpeg
    IMG_3072.jpeg
    856.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    890.4 KB · Views: 178
Hi Markus,

What brand of front rack did you add? I'm getting a Samurai soon and this is the type of rack that I'm looking for. Cheers

Thanks for the info. That's what it looked like but I couldn't find any specs on that particular rack. Thanks again.

Looks great. Thanks for posting. I've ordered a Zen Samurai and was wondering if the Riese and Muller front rack would fit on the head tube mounts 👍

If you get the front rack, I'd recommend the Topeak modula bottle cages. Initially I wasn't sure how they would work out, but they have been great. You can attach them using the front rack bolts by drilling a couple holes in the topeak holder frame. Simple. I use one for my coffee or water bottle, and the other a jbl flip speaker that fits in nice and securely. No issues with handlebar or leg clearance. So you have your coffee and news/music heading into work just like being in the car;)

Back