Pulled the trigger on the Kona El Kahuna yesterday!

Jimmy666

I could not pass up on the sale price of $1,550 for that bike. I was keeping an eye on the SUV model which is also on sale for $300 more but after test riding the El Kahuna and seeing that it has rack and fender mounts( I have fenders that will fit once I swap out the tires) I figured that that model was good enough for me since adding a rear rack costs about $50.
This will be my first bike shop ebike as of right now I ride a converted Kona Dew with a Tsdz2 with no throttle so I could get used to not having the throttle. I was thinking about the Ride1up Prodigy V2 but saving $850 at the cost of a few miles per hour top speed and having the peace of mind of having a bike shop behind the bike feels good. The shop owner told me he has never had any problems with the Shimano motors or batteries since he started selling them years ago.
What are you Kona riders thoughts on your bikes with the shimano motors? Is the range as great as I read about even with the 504wh batteries?

Congrats on the Kona!
I have been commuting on a Kona Dew E DL (battery is also Shimano 504Wh) for about a month and a half with the occasional long ride. I obviously haven't had it very long or put a huge number of miles on it, but can't complain! I would say I toggle between the assist modes about as frequently as I shift, since I'm usually riding in fairly dense urban setting with rolling hills, so it's hard to get a perfect read but: If I'm on Eco mode most of the time, I get roughly 1%/mile, about double that if I'm riding on the highest setting. With the temps dropping, I've definitely noticed a drop in efficiency (some mornings have been hovering around 20deg F), but when the sun comes back out, efficiency goes back to normal.
I've only run the battery close to empty once, on a long ride with my partner (and hadn't charged in days); about two miles from home, just as I was about to reach the crest of a very steep hill, I felt the assist, which had been on High, suddenly drop down to Eco (I guess it goes into a kind of self-preservation mode when the battery gets particularly low). I shut off the motor completely and rode home without issue (that was my last big climb haha I got lucky!), then recharged to full before the next morning's commute.

Congrats on the Kona!
I have been commuting on a Kona Dew E DL (battery is also Shimano 504Wh) for about a month and a half with the occasional long ride. I obviously haven't had it very long or put a huge number of miles on it, but can't complain! I would say I toggle between the assist modes about as frequently as I shift, since I'm usually riding in fairly dense urban setting with rolling hills, so it's hard to get a perfect read but: If I'm on Eco mode most of the time, I get roughly 1%/mile, about double that if I'm riding on the highest setting. With the temps dropping, I've definitely noticed a drop in efficiency (some mornings have been hovering around 20deg F), but when the sun comes back out, efficiency goes back to normal.
I've only run the battery close to empty once, on a long ride with my partner (and hadn't charged in days); about two miles from home, just as I was about to reach the crest of a very steep hill, I felt the assist, which had been on High, suddenly drop down to Eco (I guess it goes into a kind of self-preservation mode when the battery gets particularly low). I shut off the motor completely and rode home without issue (that was my last big climb haha I got lucky!), then recharged to full before the next morning's commute.
The motor and battery seem to be efficient from everything I have read so far. I should have the bike next week.

Do post some pics when you get the bike. Love to see it. Big savings to be had on anything bicycle related right now. Over stock since covid and a decrease in numbers cycling since end of covid also having an effect. Tough times for the industry, though e bikes seem to be still selling strongly. Good luck with it, Always liked Kona as a brand since I had a Kona mtb back in the 90s!

That is excellent deal if it had been coil fork and 9spd but given its comes with better airfork and 10spd its a steal. They are also cheap in NZ, about 1/2 price of my bike which has similar specs.

Do post some pics when you get the bike. Love to see it. Big savings to be had on anything bicycle related right now. Over stock since covid and a decrease in numbers cycling since end of covid also having an effect. Tough times for the industry, though e bikes seem to be still selling strongly. Good luck with it, Always liked Kona as a brand since I had a Kona mtb back in the 90s!
Will do once I get it! I plan on just a few mods after riding it for a week or so.

They were 50% of for about 2weeks during the holidays and I ordered then. I should have the bike this Sunday.
Congrats on a great price, I am admittedly jealous and not wondering if I should pay the current "deal price" 0f $2,100 but even at that price the bike is a decent deal, you just got a killer deal.

Congrats on a great price, I am admittedly jealous and not wondering if I should pay the current "deal price" 0f $2,100 but even at that price the bike is a decent deal, you just got a killer deal.
You basically just missed the bicycle / bicycle components deal season. Starting right around mid-November everyone wants to first unload inventory for Christmas, and then before the end of the year when calendar year financials have to be tallied up. On top of that the bicycle industry is in dire straits. Onyx just went into receivership, in fact.

You basically just missed the bicycle / bicycle components deal season. Starting right around mid-November everyone wants to first unload inventory for Christmas, and then before the end of the year when calendar year financials have to be tallied up. On top of that the bicycle industry is in dire straits. Onyx just went into receivership, in fact.
well I did get a marin sausalito e2 for the wife in Dec at a good price, yeah heard about bike sales overall, in my research of e bikes the El Kahuna still stands out as one of the better deals even at $2,100 but I could wait some and see what happens with price, so many junky e bikes available and I've been watching the bikes on Upway but concluded they aren't the deals they would seem to be at 1st blush. But good to know your price as it's probably what dealers pay and a local shop sells Kona.

I was just lucky enough to be wanting and watching I suppose but even at $2100 that is a great deal!

I was just lucky enough to be wanting and watching I suppose but even at $2100 that is a great deal!
Hey 1 more question - what size did you order and what is your height ? I'm 5' 10" (used to be about 6' but my spine is badly worn) and stopped at a local Kona dealer (he didn;t have an EL Kahuna available) and he eyeballed me and without hesitation recommended a large, however most ebike sites with sizing suggest either a medium or large will work, I'm more inclined to order a medium and with my back and now shoulder issues I'm favoring a more upright riding position and I think a medium frame is better in that aspect. Thanks

asked this of Jimmy666 , but definately interested what others who ride the EL Kahuna have to say regards sizing decision"
"Hey 1 more question - what size did you order and what is your height ? I'm 5' 10" (used to be about 6' but my spine is badly worn) and stopped at a local Kona dealer (he didn;t have an EL Kahuna available) and he eyeballed me and without hesitation recommended a large, however most ebike sites with sizing suggest either a medium or large will work, I'm more inclined to order a medium and with my back and now shoulder issues I'm favoring a more upright riding position and I think a medium frame is better in that aspect. Thanks"

well Kona just knocked off 10% from that price, so for me it's a matter of deciding what size is best and then to borrow a phrase I will "pull the trigger" ;)

Hey 1 more question - what size did you order and what is your height ? I'm 5' 10" (used to be about 6' but my spine is badly worn) and stopped at a local Kona dealer (he didn;t have an EL Kahuna available) and he eyeballed me and without hesitation recommended a large, however most ebike sites with sizing suggest either a medium or large will work, I'm more inclined to order a medium and with my back and now shoulder issues I'm favoring a more upright riding position and I think a medium frame is better in that aspect. Thanks
I got the large. I am the same height and ride a Kona dew size large and it fits me perfect.

Back