American Airlines - Only "non-motorized"

Cycle

Region
USA
Hi,

I'm planning to fly on American Airlines and was checking the weight limit for bike bags. I just noticed it says only "non-motorized". I have removed the battery (Specialized Creo) but, the motor is still on the bike, AND they say I can carry two 160 Wh batteries in my carry on. So, is this considered Non-motorized? Has anyone travelled recently on American with an "empty" ebike? Also trying to clarify with AA now what they mean.
Thanks!!!!

Follow Up:
We finally got hold of an AMerican Airlines rep and they said it was OK to fly with the batteries removed. Flight is on Friday, so we'll see if we have any issues checking in.

A lot of places equate “motorized” with gas engines. If you have a conversation with them, they usually allow ebikes with reasonable restrictions.

Cautious, optimistic faith :cool: I've shipped many times, in hard sided, cardboard and soft sided containers, as friends have and only had one issue. A tire was ruined because it rubbed against something and exposed the threads. 🤞🤞🤞

Cautious, optimistic faith :cool: I've shipped many times, in hard sided, cardboard and soft sided containers, as friends have and only had one issue. A tire was ruined because it rubbed against something and exposed the threads. 🤞🤞🤞
Just wanted to report back that we had no issues with shipping the Creo's on American Airlines. Checking in for the outbound flight (SFO) they didn't even ask anything about the bikes. When we checked in for the return flight, Hartford, CT, the agent did ask if there were any batteries in the bag. We said no and she just took the cases. We each had two extender batteries in carry on and they went right through TSA screening without a question at both airports.

Leaving Hartford we had to take the bikes (and bags) over to x-ray, but the bikes were too big to go through so the agents opened the case. One agent was very careful and considerate, the other actually took out my helmet and a loose frame bag and THREW it on the ground!!

The cargo handlers seemed to do a good job because there was no scuffing, abrasions, marks or any damage to the bikes or outside of the cases. We also had a connection in Philly both directions. So, they had to be unloaded and re-loaded getting from Philly to Hartford. I used the Evoc Pro semi-rigid bike cases.

I was just about to post this same question when the auto-search prompted me about this post as I was typing. So... some follow-up questions:

I am flying this weekend with my Specialized Creo on American, and just called their customer service to ask if I needed anything special to carry on my two 160 Wh range extender batteries. She asked what the batteries are for. When I told her they are for an ebike, she responded that ebikes, even with batteries removed, are prohibited on American. (American's website states "You can travel with 1 non-motorized touring, mountain, tandem, or racing bicycle.")

Last summer, I flew on Air Canada with my Creo, internal battery removed, and carried on two range extenders. No issues. I explained to the American customer service rep that I've flown with this bike before. "Not on American, you haven't" was her response. She said they drive that rule into their heads -- no ebikes allowed.

So that got me thinking of my options:

I can do as I (and the original poster) have done previously, and fly with the bike with battery removed. It could make it through without issues. It doesn't even really look like an e-bike. But there is a risk there.

Second option, I could take the motor separately in my carry-on and reinstall it at my destination. I don't know if that would cause issues taking it through security, but I don't think motors are prohibited in carry-on luggage. But that would be kind of a PITA to do on my vacation. But if questioned at the baggage drop, I could just explain the motor has been removed and therefore the bike is non-motorized.

Any advice or other experiences flying with American?

I was just about to post this same question when the auto-search prompted me about this post as I was typing. So... some follow-up questions:

I am flying this weekend with my Specialized Creo on American, and just called their customer service to ask if I needed anything special to carry on my two 160 Wh range extender batteries. She asked what the batteries are for. When I told her they are for an ebike, she responded that ebikes, even with batteries removed, are prohibited on American. (American's website states "You can travel with 1 non-motorized touring, mountain, tandem, or racing bicycle.")

Last summer, I flew on Air Canada with my Creo, internal battery removed, and carried on two range extenders. No issues. I explained to the American customer service rep that I've flown with this bike before. "Not on American, you haven't" was her response. She said they drive that rule into their heads -- no ebikes allowed.

So that got me thinking of my options:

I can do as I (and the original poster) have done previously, and fly with the bike with battery removed. It could make it through without issues. It doesn't even really look like an e-bike. But there is a risk there.

Second option, I could take the motor separately in my carry-on and reinstall it at my destination. I don't know if that would cause issues taking it through security, but I don't think motors are prohibited in carry-on luggage. But that would be kind of a PITA to do on my vacation. But if questioned at the baggage drop, I could just explain the motor has been removed and therefore the bike is non-motorized.

Any advice or other experiences flying with American?
I am surprised at the AA rep's answer! No ebikes, even with battery removed. Things do change and they may have made a global change to the policy. That would be unfortunate.

My wife called the service reps before we flew and the first agent said she "thought" it would be OK but wanted to check with her supervisor. We waited several LONG minutes :) expecting her to come back with a negative response, but she said that batteries removed is OK. I don't think we got any email, or other confirmation. Just the verbal response over the phone (I'll check when my wife gets home later).

As I mentioned, no one checked the bike at the luggage check in, it didn't go through xRay and the agent for the return flight asked if there were "Batteries" in the bike bag. She did NOT aks if it was an ebike. My answer would have been it is NOT an ebike :)

The only issue we had was that the bike is heavy and I wanted to stuff more bike gear in the bag, but we reached the weight limit so had to carry some things in our luggage.

Good Luck!!!!

160 wh is nothing. If you got ebike batteries through TSA and airline screening thats a minor miracle. The prohibition of ebike batteries comes down from the FAA and the limit is 100 wh, with a possible extension in writing to 160 wh at the discretion of the airline.

... Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external battery packs.

As an example of what is allowable, a Grin LiGo battery was designed to fit within the FAA (and international... its not just the USA) regulation. To hit only 98 wh, they had to produce a 36v battery ... that is only 2.7ah. Ebike batteries are probably higher voltage and they are most certainly larger than 2.7ah.

In short: Legally, you can't get there from here. As in you can't ship a li-ion battery legally on an airplane. You have to use an alternate method. I found this to be so much trouble when I wanted to build ebikes and ship them to my daughter and son-in-law who live in the EU, I found it was not even remotely practical and bought them bikes domestically instead.

160 wh is nothing. If you got ebike batteries through TSA and airline screening thats a minor miracle. The prohibition of ebike batteries comes down from the FAA and the limit is 100 wh, with a possible extension in writing to 160 wh at the discretion of the airline.

As an example of what is allowable, a Grin LiGo battery was designed to fit within the FAA (and international... its not just the USA) regulation. To hit only 98 wh, they had to produce a 36v battery ... that is only 2.7ah. Ebike batteries are probably higher voltage and they are most certainly larger than 2.7ah.

In short: Legally, you can't get there from here. As in you can't ship a li-ion battery legally on an airplane. You have to use an alternate method. I found this to be so much trouble when I wanted to build ebikes and ship them to my daughter and son-in-law who live in the EU, I found it was not even remotely practical and bought them bikes domestically instead.
American Airlines specifically states on its website batteries up to 160 Wh are allowed in carry-on luggage:

What can you fly with?​

Batteries

Example​

• 9-volt
  • AA/AAA/C/D
  • Alkaline
  • Carbon zinc
  • Silver oxide
  • Zinc air
  • Lithium or lithium-ion
  • Nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride

Allowed for travel?​

Yes

Notes​

Please remove batteries from devices in your checked bags and put them in your carry-on in separate plastic bags.

Lithium-ion battery acceptance by Watt-hour (Wh):​

• Less than 100 Wh – 4 spares in carry-on bag
  • 100 - 160 Wh – 2 spares in carry-on bag
  • 160 - 300 Wh – Contact Special Assistance

Live update: Just dropped off the bike at the baggage check-in counter at American. Zero questions (other than the agent asking if am a triathlete). I had removed the motor and is now in my carry-on, which was flagged at TSA security, opened and inspected. So in summary, I could have left the motor installed and had no issues. Will do that on the return end.

Live update: Just dropped off the bike at the baggage check-in counter at American. Zero questions (other than the agent asking if am a triathlete). I had removed the motor and is now in my carry-on, which was flagged at TSA security, opened and inspected. So in summary, I could have left the motor installed and had no issues. Will do that on the return end.
That must be comforting for the other passengers on that flight!

Glad you made it through :) Hope the ride goes well.
Curious, was this domestic or international flight?

Back