Carbon fork swap, Civante - Wabash - Urban Rush

Greentween

Region
USA
I swapped out my Civante fork to a carbon fork. Info on what you need. Stock fork is 11/8 taper to 11/4 size which is not common size head tube. I wanted a fork with replaceable crown race. I found one on ebay that is 11/8 straight. Sure there are also pricy ones from Whiskey or Ritchey ect.
1) Fork
2) Crane Creek 110 series alloy 47 30 conversion crown race
3) Brake bleed kit
4) Brake olive

Inexpensive solution to the stock fork with its integrated crown race. If your bike has the creaking, snapping noise from the headset bearings, this is what you need.

Attachments

• Carbon fork2.jpg
    Carbon fork2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 127
  • Carbon Fork2.png
    Carbon Fork2.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Crown race crane creek.png
    Crown race crane creek.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 126
Nice solution, I hope the inexpensive carbon fork proves durable and safe for you. I once bought an inexpensive full carbon fork on Amazon (Toseek) but returned it because the disc brake caliper mounting points didn't allow for proper alignment, I'm not the only one who had that problem per Amazon reviews. After you have some riding time I'd be interested in reading your impressions.

Did you have to replace the headset or just the fork and crown race? Thanks.! Note that I am still trying to resolve the fork issue with Yamaha but badly want to a solution so not having to ride without the constant headtube noise. It is terrible. I am in contact with a Yamaha's e-bike product manager, Drew Englemann. His email is [email protected]

I purchased the same fork and crown race. My LBS recommended the Cane Creek Ancora Expansion Plug ($30 at Amazon). I will report back once installed.

Fork replacement complete. Creaking noise completely gone. Some satisfaction is resolving the problem, but still angry with Yamaha for burying a known production issue. If they were selling thousands of these bikes (instead of hundreds), a recall would have been certain.

Attachments

• 20230921_180237.jpg
    20230921_180237.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 95
I swapped out my Civante fork to a carbon fork. Info on what you need. Stock fork is 11/8 taper to 11/4 size which is not common size head tube. I wanted a fork with replaceable crown race. I found one on ebay that is 11/8 straight. Sure there are also pricy ones from Whiskey or Ritchey ect.
1) Fork
2) Crane Creek 110 series alloy 47 30 conversion crown race
3) Brake bleed kit
4) Brake olive

Inexpensive solution to the stock fork with its integrated crown race. If your bike has the creaking, snapping noise from the headset bearings, this is what you need.

This is great news. Did you have to do any mods for the disk brakes? And what about the front wheel? Were you able to use the same wheel and hub?

Much thanks,

Larry

That all stays same. It is really an easy swap. The steerer tube needs to be cut down so not everyone will be able to do the swap themselves but a LBS can do it.

If going to do yourself, there are videos on Youtube for cutting steerer tube. Also you will need a brake bleed kit if don't already have one. On my bike the brake hose had enough slack for when I cut off the fitting olive to be able to thread it thru the new fork.

Thanks Greeny! I already bought the crown race adapter and the same fork. I found it for $75. I have cut steerer tubes before but I will leave mine long as I really needed a straight bar handlebar due to neck issues but I bought an adjustable stem and a drop handlebar that has a 5cm rise.

I use to build bikes in a bike shop but have no experience with hydraulic brakes so I will have the work done at my LBS.

Changing the fork was a game changer for me, I deeply regretted the purchase and the endless back and forth with Yamaha. Greeny got me back where I needed to be . . on the road and trails.

My Civante is at the bike shop now getting the fork swapped out. I can't wait. It should also drop the weight of the bike by at least 1 or 2 pounds which is a bonus.
I will report back once I have it out for a ride in a few weeks as it snowed yesterday and we expect snow all week after having unusually warm weather in the 50's and 60's here in the Twin Cities.

Back