Canyon Precede:ON 5 -- Anyone own one?

turbineseaplane

Region
USA
Hoping to hear any first hand accounts of what the Canyon Precede:ON 5 is like

Although it's a touch heavier than I'd like (and I can't justify or afford the carbon fiber version at $3600), the Aluminum version seems like a screaming deal at $1999

Anyone have any thoughts?

Are you aware that the low price of that e-bike comes from:
  • A really older and weak Bosch motor
  • A smallish battery
  • Entry level components?
Caveat emptor.

Seems like a decent deal either way. So what if its an older gen motor.

Per the website "Size M bikes have 500 Wh PowerTube batteries. Size L-XL bikes have 625 Wh PowerTube batteries" so I wouldnt say thats small. I'd go for it if you like the look.

Hoping to hear any first hand accounts of what the Canyon Precede:ON 5 is like

Although it's a touch heavier than I'd like (and I can't justify or afford the carbon fiber version at $3600), the Aluminum version seems like a screaming deal at $1999

Anyone have any thoughts?
UK site had 50nm Activeline plus which is good allround motor had good quality 11spd deore shifter with 11-51t cassette which is unusual. Typically this motor comes with 9spd 11-36t with higher spec 10 & 11spds fitted to more powerful 65nm and 85nm motors. With 11-51t cassette there is no hill this bike won't climb with ease. Will be slower than 65nm or 85nm but if you are on budget and have extra time needed to climb bigger hills then its good choice.

US site had it with more poweful 65nm 28mph motor, at $2000 its a steal. Even 50nm 20mph is good deal at this price with 11spd.

Couldn't find battery size but likely to be 500wh which is good for commuting and exploring in weekend. NB frame geometry is more for fast commuting so may not be comfortable for long day rides especially touring as to much weight on hands.
Nothing a test ride won't determine one way or another.

Seems like a decent deal either way. So what if its an older gen motor.
The Gen 3 started several years ago. Now we are in the Smart System era. Sustainability?
Promax brakes? Seriously?
Purion display and 2 A charger?

Hahaha.

Per the website "Size M bikes have 500 Wh PowerTube batteries. Size L-XL bikes have 625 Wh PowerTube batteries" so I wouldnt say thats small. I'd go for it if you like the look.
You pay more for the Precede:ON with the bigger battery. Still, it is rather funny the size M gets the small battery. I wonder why Canyon does not make size S. Perhaps the company would have to use the 400 Wh battery to fit it in the e-bike :D We are now in the 700+ Wh era!
-----------
The best of all: Europe now has Precede:ON 6 with the Smart System, better components, still low price. I wonder why the U.S. is offered with the older technology Precede. Perhaps Canyon has to sell out their stock somewhere... .

Last edited:
The Gen 3 started several years ago. Now we are in the Smart System era. Sustainability?
Promax brakes? Seriously?
Purion display and 2 A charger?

Hahaha.

You pay more for the Precede:ON with the bigger battery. Still, it is rather funny the size M gets the small battery. I wonder why Canyon does not make size S. Perhaps the company would have to use the 400 Wh battery to fit it in the e-bike :D We are now in the 700+ Wh era!
-----------
The best of all: Europe now has Precede:ON 6 with the Smart System, better components, still low price. I wonder why the U.S. is offered with the older technology Precede. Perhaps Canyon has to sell out their stock somewhere... .
Are you sure you are looking at the US site?

I'm seeing $1999 same price for all sizes, MT200 brakes, and 4 A charger.

I mean I guess you could compare it to a Vado 3.0 that costs $500 more with a weaker motor, smaller battery, and 9 speed Alivio instead of 11 speed Deore. But hey, the Vado does have the mastermind thingy and $500 does get you local support and a better warranty - just not necessarily a better specced bike.

Lets compare bikes
Specialized Vado 3.0 . For $3500.
Basic 9spd gears, gutless 50nm motor and 530wh battery with bulky 4A charger.

Canyon $2000. Quality Deore 11spd gears, punching 65nm motor that can do 28mph. 400Wh? Battery with compact 2A charger.
For regular charging 2A is better on battery life. Only reason for faster charger is to do lunchtime topups if touring. The $1500 saving will more than pay for 6A charger or extra battery.
Of cause you won't have all latest computer interface. But you will extra $1500 buys to spend on bike computer if that is your thing.

Better after market support with Canyon as any Bosch certified LBS can work on your bike and their are lot more of them than Specialized.

My only question is?: Why does Canyon sell the Gen 3 / Purion thing in the U.S. but it is Precede:ON 6 with Smart System in Europe?
No need to answer (I guessed that myself). It is the 28 mph thing. It looks Bosch does not have the Smart System motor for Class 3 yet?

There two matters are better for Vado 3:
  • Sustainable MasterMind system with the new motor, battery, display, controller
  • Local support and warranty handling (Canyon sells online; it is not only the Bosch E-Bike dealer involved; Bosch says it is the OEM responsible for the e-bike warranty).
For regular charging 2A is better on battery life.
It takes ages to charge the battery with the 2 A charger.

No need to answer (I guessed that myself). It is the 28 mph thing. It looks Bosch does not have the Smart System motor for Class 3 yet?
No, they now offer the Active, Cargo, and Performance Line motors with the smart system. Should start seeing them in bikes this fall. I think the Performance Line Speed might already be out there on a few models. I believe all the gen3 and gen4 motors (plus whatever gen the new SX is) now support the smart system.

Mastermind will be very lucky if it proves to be as sustainable as Bosch's system two has been. 8 years, still being supported, if you can feed a wire you can upgrade any to the Kiox or Nyon displays. Yes its clearly nearing EOL, but parts will be available for many years to come given they are still being offered as current products.

if you can feed a wire you can upgrade any to the Kiox or Nyon
It is everything I wanted to hear :)
That is how Bosch and OEM work. They provide inferior components so the user feels compelled to spend more $$. Want the Kiox or Nyon? Pay for the parts and labour. Want the 6A charger? Pay.

I would really recommend the OP to wait until the Smart System Canyon e-bikes become available in the United States. Besides, based on what I read in the forums, it is Gazelle e-bikes that make their owners happy. Especially the new Smart System ones. Why Canyon?

It might be of interest to you what brand has become the market hit in Poland: Cube. How is the availability of Cube in the U.S. like?

I have one!!! I did a lot of research prior to choosing this bike. I have 3 other bikes and wanted to get an ebike for commuting here. I am so happy with this bike. It rides great without the assist and with the assist it is just incredible. I can get all my errands done and not end up a sweaty mess. Everything works great, easy to put together, excellent customer service.

Back