smaller tyres

Leomac7

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, soon getting my Haibike trekking 4 bike delivered just wondering if and what smaller narrower tyres I can put on it?
TIA,

Leo

Hi, soon getting my Haibike trekking 4 bike delivered just wondering if and what smaller narrower tyres I can put on it?
TIA,

Leo
Why narrow tires?. Only benefit is slight decrease in rolling resist if run at bone jarring high pressures.
Fatter tires give more comfort and grip especially in corners and when heavy braking.
With electric assist rolling resistance isn't an issue.

Look up for example the WTB tire and rim fit chart. Charts like these show what will fit and is safe for a given rim width. If the bike has Johnny Watts you might want Super MotoX for a smoother, faster ride.

well it has 2.2" tires so going to 2" or a bit less may not make much difference. its how the tire is made and what its made out of that would make a difference. I would ride it and see. the thing is going with a faster tire will mean a less puncture resistant tire. really I doubt you would get much unless you go with tubeless if the rims can take tubeless. comfort is more How soft the sidewalls are and your PSI then the tire width when your close to the same size. bigger tires are not always softer. there is always a tradeoff on tires. faster smoother verses more puncture resistant. tubeless lets you go lower on pressure.

I agree with the others: While it might make sense to replace the stock tyres with another make/model, there is no single reason to go with narrower ones. Doing so also would fool the e-bike computer, reporting wrong speed and the distance ridden, and applying the motor cut-off at the actual speed lower than 15.5 mph.

The factor Pedaluma brought is very important: the wheel rims chosen by the e-bike manufacturer have some internal width that works optimally only with the designed tyre width. Otherwise, the tyre will assume a wrong profile, which is bad for the tyre and is bad for the wheel, too.

The points brought by Trevor are valid as well.

I recommend riding the new e-bike for a couple of months, determine the performance of the stock Continental tyres, and replacing them with another make/model only in case another riding characteristics (rolling resistance, off-road grip) or higher puncture resistance would be desired. The tyre size shall remain as designed for the e-bike. (Bear in mind e-bikes are not lightweight, and the structural support the wheel hub, spokes, rim, and the tyre give together is vital).

It is true and economic to ride the originals and try them. You may then not only get mileage out of them but also develop fresh insights about what you really want. Most systems allow for a tire adjustment in the display of up or down 5%. A few allow for greater adjustments. A balloon tire can still have stiff walls and a small contact patch on the tarmac. 650b gravel tires have soft walls, a stiff center tarmac bead, and soft nubs on the outside. These make for great commuter tires.

It is true and economic to ride the originals and try them. You may then not only get mileage out of them but also develop fresh insights about what you really want. Most systems allow for a tire adjustment in the display of up or down 5%. A few allow for greater adjustments. A balloon tire can still have stiff walls and a small contact patch on the tarmac. 650b gravel tires have soft walls, a stiff center tarmac bead, and soft nubs on the outside. These make for great commuter tires.
I did that on the trek but after 4000 miles they still sucked. though they didn't to get a lot of flats. new tires gave me 3mph faster and at least 8 miles extra range. but the fist set of tires was way too delicate. so new tires.

What new tyres, tires, did you pick and find out?
this guy. a little stiffer then the last ones as its thicker casing is about as thin. I could get it on with hands only. not such a balloon tire I can run it at 45 psi in front and 40 in back. but should not puncture as easily. seems about the same on speed.
6AE2E6CD-941C-4BB6-BDCB-9F094D857ADA_1_105_c.jpeg

Interestingly, I replaced my knobby 37mm WTBs that came with my Cannondale e-gravel bike, with wider 47mm Specialized 2-bliss tires and on the first ride I noticed that the bike rolled much faster on the 2-bliss tires, which have a solid strip of rubber down the middle.

I went from Maxxis Rekons to Continental Rubans, and immediately noticed improved road/pavement riding with way better rolling resistance and less noise.
Rekons were 2.4 and the Rubans are 2.3.
The tread pattern did it all, not really the size.
Rubans are good in the dirt too.
There are many fast rolling tyres. You went from offroad to the SUV type Dave so no wonder your Rubans are fast rolling and quieter. However, the tyre size shall not be drastically modified. For instance, rims of internal width i25, i27 or i30 only tolerate a narrow range of tyre width, or the tyre assumes a wrong profile.

I can remember my early days in the Forum when I bought an e-MTB with 27.5x2.6" aggressive tyres. I then asked a naïve question if I could go with a dramatically narrower size of 2.3" for the tyre model I liked. It was our invaluable member @PDoz who discouraged me from doing so by explaining the tyre profile thing. Recently, I had to order components for building a new wheel for my 29x2" e-bike, and I've learnt a lot. Manufacturers such as DT Swiss or WTB are very specific about the internal rim width and tyre width compatibility. My new wheel would be ideal with an i27 rim, unfortunately DT Swiss only offered either i25 or i30 rims for the type I needed (the original rim was i27). The DT Swiss chart ensured my 2" tyre would fit, although not 100% ideally!

@fooferdoggie, I just put 622 x 34 Byways on a bike this week and am loving it. They are the tan walls that match the Brooks. I am running them at 3 bar. Wednesday evening I led a group gravel ride on them. The group included all ages and we saw massive blooms of wild flowers while surrounded by water on three sides.

I went from Maxxis Rekons to Continental Rubans, and immediately noticed improved road/pavement riding with way better rolling resistance and less noise.
I just ordered a set of Rubans (26x2.30) for my commuter ebike. I figured they'd be a good choice, since I ride on pavement and gravel pathways.

I'm a big fan of hybrid treads like the ones on your Rubans. Below is the 27.5 x 2.3" Specialized Crossroads Armadillo I'm running now.

20230306_083001.jpg

Sure, there's some added rolling resistance on pavement, but small price to pay for the versatility and totally unnoticeable at PAS 1/9.

Addendum: This tire made that tread mark in the dirt. The side knobs are fully engaged on soft surfaces.

Last edited:
1682094896750.png

A Specialized Electrak 2.0 (29x2.0"). An extremely fast and surprisingly grippy tyre (thanks to the Gripton component owned by Specialized).

1682095222944.png

Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss (38-622). In my opinion, the ultimate gravel tyre. See the strip of smooth rubber in the centre of the tread. (Also a Gripton tyre).

View attachment 152096
A Specialized Electrak 2.0 (29x2.0"). An extremely fast and surprisingly grippy tyre (thanks to the Gripton component owned by Specialized).

View attachment 152097
Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss (38-622). In my opinion, the ultimate gravel tyre. See the strip of smooth rubber in the centre of the tread. (Also a Gripton tyre).
Sand finds its way into and onto everything in a SoCal beach town. How would those tires do in, say, 3" of sand on a hard base? Common occurrence around here — even on the roads at times...

20230222_193221.jpg

No positive experience on riding in deep sand here Jeremy. Regarding shallow sand, we have enough of it in the post-glacial Mazovia. My tyres were doing alright there. Not that I had to ride for miles in the sand 🤣

Regarding shallow sand, we have enough of it in the post-glacial Mazovia.
Makes sense. Poland is basically on the Rhine delta, isn't it? **

Just read that most beaches all over the world are post-glacial relics to some extent — in part due to the resulting 400 ft rise in sea level ~6,000 years ago. I'll thank the next glacier I see — if there are any left by then.

20230404_210940.jpg

Highly recommended for any beach lover. So much more to notice when you know what to look for.

** Correction: The Rhine delta is immense, but only the flat northern parts of Poland would be on it.

Last edited:
Back