500w+ motor / integrated battery / belt drive?

reptilian_brain

Region
USA
I am looking to getting my own e-bike VS riding the citibikes in NYC. I learned that the new Cibitike e-bikes have a 500w motor, so wouldn't want something less powerful. The old Cibitike ebikes were underwhelming and I often took regular non-e versions as it didn't make THAT much of a difference. The new ones, however, destroy the hills and are big step up in experience. I already have a non-e bike so if I was to get my own e-bike I'd want it to be something notably different, not just assist here and there. I still would want my ebike to resemble a regular bicycle and not a scooter / moped (so Super73 and similar are no-go). I'd also want the battery to be integrated into the frame (but, ideally, be removable so I can charge it independently from the bike or even keep a spare one).

Parameters:
- 500w+ motor (must? or maybe some super-efficient motor can be less than that but still do it? not sure)
- belt drive (must)
- integrated (++removable if possible, nice to have) battery
- no derailleurs (must)
- $4k budget ideally
- mid-step or high-step frame (not a high diamond, like VanMoof but not a step-through).
- 700c wheels (nice to have)
- Obtainable in US (can ship here, but what about import duties?)
- not DIY

I was looking at Vvolt Proxima, but it seems they have a 250w motor (idk what 500w peak drive means in their specs, but I'd assume 250w is what I'd usually get). There is also Gazelle C380+ which looks quite perfect but I'd prefer to keep the budget within $4k. Another option is Priority Current which looks quite perfect if not for the top-tube design.

There are also Canyon bikes which look great but seem to be above 4K as well and not available in US.

Thank you Dewey!

I think I have two new strong contenders - Zen Samurai and Evelo Atlas. None of them is available though. Any idea why would I go with Samurai over Atlas considering the $400 difference?

Thank you Dewey!

I think I have two new strong contenders - Zen Samurai and Evelo Atlas. None of them is available though. Any idea why would I go with Samurai over Atlas considering the $400 difference?

Thanks for noticing our work. Zen samurai is currently in production and we will be delivering them starting in June.
Our production schedule is prioritizing those who have already pre-ordered the bike. Some of the key factors are: these bikes are assembled right here in Canada, comes with the latest Bosch Gen4 Speed or CX motors rated at 85Nm torque and Gates Carbon belt drive and other top-notch components.
You may see the latest EBR review here:

Thank you Dewey!

I'm currently waiting for solid news regarding the Atlas. Delivery dates keep getting pushed back, and at this point (things being the way they are) I don't know if they're even going to be available this year. The fact they want payment in full to reserve one, has me saying no way without a MUCH better idea of REAL delivery dates vs. one pushed back a month at a time....

Anyway, the reason I wrote is to share that the Atlas uses a Bafang M600 for power. That makes it a pretty unique bike. There are darn few, if any, with a similar configuration. The Sammy is a Bosch.... -Al

why would I go with Samurai over Atlas considering the $400 difference?
Ultimately its a personal decision, among the features that appeal to me about the Zen Samurai are that you can have it configured as either a Class 1 or Class 3. Here in the Washington DC area where I live it makes sense to get a Class 1 due to the DC ebike law prohibiting Class 3 ebikes from riding on street bike lanes. The Samurai has a comfortable suspension seat post, it weighs a few pounds lighter than the Atlas, and the 4th gen Bosch CX motor at 85Nm has all the hill climbing power I would need and local bike shops could service the Bosch system.

Thanks for noticing our work. Zen samurai is currently in production and we will be delivering them starting in June.
hi Ravi, thanks for your answer. Samurai looks quite enticing. Is the black battery atop the frame the optional / secondary, and there is another one integrated into the tube, or is the black battery the main one?

If that indeed is the secondary battery, what distance do you anticipate with just the primary battery?

I am asking because I am looking for a bike without an exposed / visible battery

The OP should keep in mind that "wattage" is largely a marketing fiction, and has little relationship to real life riding. torque ("Nm") is more meaningful, but even with torque, the drive train configuration has as much or more impact on climbing etc. than anything else.
In the OP's price range, there are a lot of excellent choices, hard to go wrong even, so find what fits, what you feel most comfortable with, and if you're not a DIY type, from a LBS you're comfortable with.

Right there on the corner of Hudson & Vestry St. Priority Current with the Enviolo gearing.
Priority Current
Nice bike, really nice, especially at that price, but I would want a motor that's got a more proven track record, a throttle, and 27.5" wheels/tires.

Last edited:
hi Ravi, thanks for your answer. Samurai looks quite enticing. Is the black battery atop the frame the optional / secondary, and there is another one integrated into the tube, or is the black battery the main one?

If that indeed is the secondary battery, what distance do you anticipate with just the primary battery?

I am asking because I am looking for a bike without an exposed / visible battery

The downtube has a fully integrated battery and the one on top is indeed the secondary battery.
With 2 batteries, you have 1000 Whr of energy, which is enough for a vast majority of people.
For your question, with one integrated battery, a fit person could eek out ~45 miles and someone who uses generous assistance would be able to get 30 miles.
These are realistic numbers because we have seen outrageous claims on the market. The Bosch Range Estimator tool offers very precise range numbers.

As you can see below, you can set all the precise parameters like the motor + battery combination, road conditions, riding style, average speed, cadence etc.
So, 41 miles using a 500Whr powertube and at 16mpgh average speed.

1653483739256.png

Our production schedule is prioritizing those who have already pre-ordered the bike. Some of the key factors are: these bikes are assembled right here in Canada, comes with the latest Bosch Gen4 Speed or CX motors rated at 85Nm torque and Gates Carbon belt drive and other top-notch components.
You may see the latest EBR review here:

The Zen Samurai seems very very nice except for the short top tube length. The top tube length ("reach") spec appears to be shorter than other bikes. I am wondering if I would very upright and not be able to stretch out at all.

The Zen Samurai seems very very nice except for the short top tube length. The top tube length ("reach") spec appears to be shorter than other bikes. I am wondering if I would very upright and not be able to stretch out at all.

The top tube offers enough 'reach' without compromising on the fit/geometry.
There may be some confusion because every company reports "reach" slightly differently.
Our geometry/size comparison chart is more accurate.

Back