Nope. Mean Well. I do have a Satiator and its fine but the ransom they want for the charger makes no sense if you have the wherewithal to essentially make your own. the Satiator is basically a Mean Well with a UI bolted into the case.

Since I started using them in 2018 I have never had a single failure. Versus four total now of Chinesium chargers, counting the $100 lab power supply charger that died on me after a couple months of use.

Just a SWAG, What about a small wind turbine?,
they come in several sizes, and since we are moving thru the air under leg power, there would be a constant source of air movement while moving
Cool concept, but physics isn't your friend with this idea. Go for streamlining so you use less battery instead.

Nope. Mean Well. I do have a Satiator and its fine but the ransom they want for the charger makes no sense if you have the wherewithal to essentially make your own. the Satiator is basically a Mean Well with a UI bolted into the case.

Since I started using them in 2018 I have never had a single failure. Versus four total now of Chinesium chargers, counting the $100 lab power supply charger that died on me after a couple months of use.
I’m confused I guess. Waterproof?

Cool concept, but physics isn't your friend with this idea. Go for streamlining so you use less battery instead.
Roamers
I don't think streamlining is going to add power to a battery, since the title of this post is : Recharge While You Ride and Camp!

Upon checking some of the spec's of wind turbines, there is 3 basic types, vertical 2-4 bladed models, airplane type with 3 to 12 blades and in sizes from 18" dia to 51" diameters and the round mushroom types of 3 to 5 blades.
Wattage runs from 200 up thru 10000watts.

Here is a small quick sample of the types of wind turbines:

The most solar panels around 200 watts that can be attached/used on a bike/trailer combo. The voltage of these wind turbines range from 12, 24, 36, and 48V

On an average, I would SWAG the average speed for pedaling would be around 10+mph, plus when stopping/camping it would be possible to have a useable wind, during day lite hours +, whereas the sun for powering solar panels is limited.
Plus a combo of solar and wind turbine power can be used at the same time,
for recharging batteries.

IMHO, I believe that wind turbines have a possibility to provide replaceable power to charge the bike batteries back up, like solar panels.
FWIW, I just checked and I have 5-6 mph wind blowing from the North, right now.
Back to more researching,
Don

The question is,
What would be the most efficient method, of the basic minimum requirements,
needed to recharge a battery, of 36v to 52v batteries, in a given period of time of 5-8hrs of daily use, using solar and or wind turbine supplying the replacement power to the battery, using just the bike and or trailer?

Maybe, a combo of both?

I know it takes approximately 3hrs + 15/30 min to charge my 48v bike battery,
Max charge of 54v > 44v, using 110v current, with a 54.6v >5a output, OEM charger.
Tia,
Don

How many "field" recharges are you looking for? A 100 ahr lithium battery and inverter is the least complex. The more you drag around to charge your battery, the more battery you will use.

Roamers
I was thinking about a trip like this, as an example,

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-e-bike-tour-documentary-united-states.48652/,

Craig had to plan his stops at the available towns for power resupply,
and had to stick to the more traveled routes etc.

But riding across NV, East to West,
there is a whole lot of "Non support areas" out here, an average of 50+ miles minimum distance, between anyplace you have access to any electrical support, water supplies etc. Staying off the usual regular Hiways, using the less traveled roadways, for the enjoyment and safety as much as possible.

There is NEVER a shortage of blowing wind around here, day or night,
and I am just thinking of the best options for resupply for battery power,
when using Solar or Wind resources available, or maybe a combo of both,
while keeping every thing KISS, as much as possible.

Having to Not rely on power supply (towns) adds to the expanded possibility's of traveling where you want to explore, with your own power station.
From the info I have read so far, the best option for solar is having a minimum
of 200w of supplied power, or having the minimum of 400w for air supplied power.

Solar power is around 6hrs here, while using a air power, you are providing power as long as you are pedaling 5+ mph between stops/rest overs, plus when the wind is blowing and you are stopped, there is an extra boost for charging power, where as solar you are done when the sun sets etc.

Pencil whipping it at this time and checking all available options, for the best possible success, while daydreaming.....LOL
Tia,
Don

Re: Wind. Take a look at the efficiency of wind generation. You will use more energy (you and bike battery) than you will produce if you deploy a wind generator while riding. Consider also the recommended height of a wind generator when deployed in a campsite. Also consider the typical reduction of wind velocity at night when you won't be riding, so can recharge.

Re: Solar. Need to figure out what your electric useage will be, how big of a battery do you need to cover a few days (it's not sunny every day), can you deploy sufficient solar while riding to fill battery in a day. Keep in mind, that if you shade your panel even a little while riding, you get basically no output. 200 watts is approximately (2) 40 X 20 panels. To be less disappointed with your system, assume you will get half the output and 5 hours a day of usefull sunlight.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with, but my gut (engineer) bets on solar with 100 ahr LiFePO4 as the better solution.

Hi Art, I am happy to help with small off grid systems designs and recommended equipment I use. Give me a heads up when you start your thread please.

These are my current off grid systems I use for my cabin and recharging stations for anyone interested:

I am looking at water needs first, want to take both the deepwell pump and water heater off grid with at least a weekends supply of hot and cold running water for 2 to 4 people using the array during the day for pumping and heating water and recharging batteries for night time. the batteries run the fridge, freezer, at night. the water may require 220v, will certainly need a lot of power to start the pump even with a softstart or 220v power, and to heat a tank of water for showers.

I am looking at water needs first, want to take both the deepwell pump and water heater off grid with at least a weekends supply of hot and cold running water for 2 to 4 people using the array during the day for pumping and heating water and recharging batteries for night time. the batteries run the fridge, freezer, at night. the water may require 220v, will certainly need a lot of power to start the pump even with a softstart or 220v power, and to heat a tank of water for showers.
How deep is your well and water table?

They make 12 and 24 volt in line pumps if it isn't too deep.

the pump is probably 150 foot down but water table (even in this drought ) is only 50 to 75 foot down. I am looking at a 110 volt rather than the current 220v, don`t expect to run much 12 volt stuff. Probably a pair of 12 volt batteries wired for 24 volts will cover night time use of lights, phone charger, fridge, and freezer, but it seems like water pumping and heating takes a high voltage and high wattage inverter anyway, so may as well use one for all the daytime loads.

There is a huge jump from 12 to even 24 volts in the amount of loads expected for an off grid cabin vs a grid tied house of course, but lower voltage stuff is much safer if I recall correctly.

I am using a single 50amp subpanel (like an RV system) for the loads I want to run off the grid including some high surge 220 volt stuff like the well pump, but am pricing a lower draw pressure only pump with a large water storage tank that can be filled by solar during the day. Should be cheaper to store the water than the batteries needed to refill a tank. Maybe.

Hi Jason, I have designed a few bike campers that have been built by other people so here are those for ideas: Some use caster wheels instead of bike wheels for more weight.

View attachment 130621View attachment 130622View attachment 130623View attachment 130624View attachment 130625View attachment 130626View attachment 130627View attachment 130629
I'd probably go with design tried by some of the cruiser site of using modified canoe. Large wheels from cruisers front wheels and can have optional brakes. But it's so streamlined, almost zero resistance.
unlike blunt front end, that can be huge resistance, and a major issue if against the wind. Interior standard seating is bunk level, and a lot of gear stored below bunk area. Remove towing bar, it's still a canoe down the river. A stand up tent handy
for changing clothes or optional sleeping and day storage. Hooks on tent for hanging solar panels high off the ground. My tent was heavy with the carbon fiber poles in external slots then flex from corner to corner.
Its a strong tent, but bagged up heavy as heck, maybe 60lbs. The poles about 3ft long have metal coupler to add next rod section, repeated till about 12ft long. That type. If it gets loose in wind storm,, it's one huge ball filled with military cots with pointed feet and everything else punching holes through tent every revolution. I never used so many patch kits in my life all at once. And there's two layers to patch.
Cheers

Roamers
I don't think streamlining is going to add power to a battery, since the title of this post is : Recharge While You Ride and Camp!

Upon checking some of the spec's of wind turbines, there is 3 basic types, vertical 2-4 bladed models, airplane type with 3 to 12 blades and in sizes from 18" dia to 51" diameters and the round mushroom types of 3 to 5 blades.
Wattage runs from 200 up thru 10000watts.

Here is a small quick sample of the types of wind turbines:

The most solar panels around 200 watts that can be attached/used on a bike/trailer combo. The voltage of these wind turbines range from 12, 24, 36, and 48V

On an average, I would SWAG the average speed for pedaling would be around 10+mph, plus when stopping/camping it would be possible to have a useable wind, during day lite hours +, whereas the sun for powering solar panels is limited.
Plus a combo of solar and wind turbine power can be used at the same time,
for recharging batteries.

IMHO, I believe that wind turbines have a possibility to provide replaceable power to charge the bike batteries back up, like solar panels.
FWIW, I just checked and I have 5-6 mph wind blowing from the North, right now.
Back to more researching,
Don
Wind turbines powered by your forward motion through the air will create considerable drag.

Wind turbines powered by your forward motion through the air will create considerable drag.
It sounds like a bad idea... but what if they were like the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) on a airplane and only deployed when you're not applying power, adding to your braking?

Though at that point, just get a bike with regenerative braking.

It sounds like a bad idea... but what if they were like the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) on a airplane and only deployed when you're not applying power, adding to your braking?

Though at that point, just get a bike with regenerative braking.
I designed an EV car with a hood that had small VAWT wind turbines attached to generators (under the hood) and wind scoops that block the wind so it only hit one side.

Used for slowing and braking to regenerate power for the battery.

Based on this same design:

Eagle wind turbine.PNG

I have a wind turbine at my off grid cabin we don't get enough wind for it to produce much. Solar is much better but the buzzards seem to enjoy the turbine.

Buzzard wind turbine.jpg

Last edited:
Back