Raleigh Redux iE Battery Charger

Projectman

I bought a used bike that the owner said had a dead battery. I connected the battery to the charger and immediately got a green light. The battery measures 10.8V (not good) and the power button on the battery doesn't turn the battery on. I measured the output from the included charger and it measured zero volts. Can anybody else measure the output of their charger for me? Does the charger need to be connected to the battery to generate an output voltage to the battery?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
IMG_2153.jpeg

My charger reads zero volts

There is some sort of protocol between the charger and battery to enable charging.

From the grin website
Screenshot resenburg.png

Voltmeter readings from both the charging port on my battery and the battery connector to the bike yielded no meaningful voltage readings (most were 0.0V, some around 6.0V). Due to the highly changing values I dont believe any of them.

Once on the bike, the battery would not turn on until until I plugged in the charger (common when sitting a long time) at which point the display showed 5 out of 10 bars on the battery display and the bike worked just fine

I measured the voltage on the battery using the two bigger connectors. If you get a negative voltage just reverse the leads.
By your verbage of the "bigger connectors", Im guessing you are trying to measure at the charge port (rosenberger connector) as opposed to the connectors on the bottom of the battery which connect with the tabs on the actual bike.

That being said, you cannot measure voltage with a simple multimeter at the charge end(I have confirmed several times now) without something to apply 5v to the data lines as shown for the connector above.

Apparently there is some sort of protocol on the battery output connectors as well to keep you from simply measuring voltage there (probably to prevent arching when plugging in the battery). No voltage even if the battery is turned on right after disconnecting from charger

By your verbage of the "bigger connectors", Im guessing you are trying to measure at the charge port (rosenberger connector) as opposed to the connectors on the bottom of the battery which connect with the tabs on the actual bike.

That being said, you cannot measure voltage with a simple multimeter at the charge end(I have confirmed several times now) without something to apply 5v to the data lines as shown for the connector above.

Apparently there is some sort of protocol on the battery output connectors as well to keep you from simply measuring voltage there (probably to prevent arching when plugging in the battery). No voltage even if the battery is turned on right after disconnecting from charger
Thanks for the information!

Back