Sport model by Espin discontinued

BET

This may be old news but Espin no linger sells the Sport model. They continue to sell the similar but step thu Flow model. I bought a 2020 Sport and I really like it. We bought a Nero too. It is ok but a lot heavier than the Sport.

Just a WAG, but my bet is they know better than to have their line up missing SOMETHING like a Sport. Betting they have another (new and improved?) bike up their sleeve. Love my Sport too....

Maybe numbers on the Flow were higher than the Sport (step thrus are popular).

Or they are prepping for a 2022/23 Sport.

As much as I've been searching for a lighter bike (we did end up getting an Aventon Soltera), my Sport has been pretty solid even after an accident (flipped up in the air and bent the front wheel).

I keep thinking I'm going to retire it but it's the one I always pick when I go ride.

People with reduced mobility find a step-through easier to use. The downside is frame flex, which can be considerable on rough surfaces going 15 mph and faster. I would not want less rigidity than my sport provides.

I guess they never replaced the Sport.

Mine seems like it's aging (the rear hub motor whines sometimes) but considering all it's been through... it was very much worth the purchase.

I guess they never replaced the Sport.

Mine seems like it's aging (the rear hub motor whines sometimes) but considering all it's been through... it was very much worth the purchase.
Yes. I still really like my Sport. Espin seems to be limiting models to step through and ads are pitched to older riders. Prices went up too.

Yes. I still really like my Sport. Espin seems to be limiting models to step through and ads are pitched to older riders. Prices went up too.
You can get a 2021 Flow right now for $1499...

Reactions: BET
You can get a 2021 Flow right now for $1499...

I have 2 Sports-both still in perfect shape. I just went on the Espin website and noticed the Sport is no more. Wonder why? Dont see a real replacement as the Nero or Aero are not even close. Tempted to get a Flow with the $500 discount. I have both Sports dialed in with Redshift stems, Suntour seatposts and Topeak racks and they both ride like a dream. Sounds like my re-sell price just took a hit considering they are discontinued...

I have 2 Sports-both still in perfect shape. I just went on the Espin website and noticed the Sport is no more. Wonder why? Dont see a real replacement as the Nero or Aero are not even close. Tempted to get a Flow with the $500 discount. I have both Sports dialed in with Redshift stems, Suntour seatposts and Topeak racks and they both ride like a dream. Sounds like my re-sell price just took a hit considering they are discontinued...
They've been discounted for at least a year, maybe two, I believe... Your re-sell price may be ok for a bit, as these were very popular bikes and people are still looking for them. But, you'd have to sell pretty soon.
Except for the aero, They've gone full on step through 😉.

I am very happy with my Flow - you could probably switch out most, or all your Sport upgrades?

Geez, I would have thought the opposite? If somebody wanted a triangle frame Espin (Sport), knowing full well they are a twin to the FLOW, and they are like hen's teeth to find, yours might be worth a bit more than you are thinking?

Still love mine as well. Very difficult to beat in this price and weight range..... (impossible?).

Mods: Thudbuster LT, Cloud 9, KT controller, Pull back Handlebars and adjustable neck to allow upright seating, 2.4" Schwabe Super Moto-X tires (yes they fit with fenders, no mods required).

Geez, I would have thought the opposite? If somebody wanted a triangle frame Espin (Sport), knowing full well they are a twin to the FLOW, and they are like hen's teeth to find, yours might be worth a bit more than you are thinking?

Still love mine as well. Very difficult to beat in this price and weight range..... (impossible?).

Mods: Thudbuster LT, Cloud 9, KT controller, Pull back Handlebars and adjustable neck to allow upright seating, 2.4" Schwabe Super Moto-X tires (yes they fit with fenders, no mods required).
Of course now I gotta get 2 sets of the Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires. Thanks Al!!

Sport had his fenders stuck back on today and a nice wipe down and chain lube. 75 degrees Fahrenheit today and tons of bikers on the streets. Had to take a break to watch World Cup!

Attachments

• Sport fenders.jpg
    Sport fenders.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 182
I went looking at other brands to see if they have anything equivalent to the Sport.

R1U has the 500 but it's only available in step-thru right now... the Cafe Cruiser looks good as does the 700 and LTD.

Aventon has the Level but at a much higher price. They have the Pace series but neither the 350 or 500 have a suspension front fork.

Hard to find ones with hydraulic brakes at a good price point.

I gotta tell ya, I love my Sport. I have had a couple of them for over 2 years and they are both still rock solid. They rides nice and smooth and I bet I could get 50 miles or more out of the battery. Adding the suspension seatpost and stem make this baby my fave. I haven't got to ride the new Level 2 yet as my kids have it, but the Sports at I think $1200 each were great buys. Couldn't be happier. On my way home today, I was in PAS 5 and 8th gear doing around 25 mph and it couldn't have been a smoother ride. Look ma, no hands!

Attachments

• Sport and Corvair.jpg
    Sport and Corvair.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 128
My Sport and the wife's Flows are all hanging right in there. Though I also own a couple much more powerful mid drives, they're both heavier, alowing the Sport to hang right in their as one of my favorites. With the right mods, it's a pretty tough bike to beat- still!

My Sport and the wife's Flows are all hanging right in there. Though I also own a couple much more powerful mid drives, they're both heavier, alowing the Sport to hang right in their as one of my favorites. With the right mods, it's a pretty tough bike to beat- still!
Like a pair of comfortable shoes! I seem to always grab Sport when it's time for a ride. I need to put more miles on the Gravel, I think I am under a 100 miles!

ESPIN makes a really nice bike for their price point, with things like hydraulic disc brakes and front suspension fork, lights, USB port, and good quality materials. I love my Flow, and, 2 years after purchase (admittedly ridden only the half of the year we're in the Triad) it's still a fun ride! Except for needing the brakes bled once, and having one loose spoke, it's been problem-free. Couldn't ask for more than that 😁!

Yes... still haven't found anything that compels me to replace it.

Mine's getting old (I've probably rode thousands of miles because I bike every weekend at least 20-40miles) so I do need a new one... may finally try out the Lectric XP 3.0 since the new update has hydraulic brakes and I could use a folding one so I don't have to use a rack.

Yes... still haven't found anything that compels me to replace it.

Mine's getting old (I've probably rode thousands of miles because I bike every weekend at least 20-40miles) so I do need a new one... may finally try out the Lectric XP 3.0 since the new update has hydraulic brakes and I could use a folding one so I don't have to use a rack.
Just a heads up on the folding thing. It sounds good and maybe looks good on paper, but it's a PITA-unless you like tweaking your back muscles lifting the twisted mess up into the back of your vehicle. 65 pounds is still 65 lbs...

I recently got an EV without a hitch and have been taking the front wheel on/off the Sport and heaving it into the back cargo, so folding an XP may probably be the same effort.

Even when I had the rack, putting the Sport on it was some effort (which is why I was looking for a lighter bike like the Gravelster). The lighter bikes, folding or not, just don't have the features I like (gears and hydraulic brakes).

I guess the R1U Turris is comparable to the Sport?

Back