48v 13ah vs 48v 17.5ah - same pack, same mount, different current?

mudflinger

Region
United Kingdom
I'm a bit confused about two batteries and hoping somebody with more experience than myself could make sense of this...

Basically, I currently have this 48V 13Ah battery running on my bike:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154421583551

The range is a tiny bit less than what I would like, so I am looking at buying this 48V 17.5Ah battery, which is the same brand as mine and appears to have the same Hailong case / dimensions and 4-pin connector:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154127955561

I reached out to the seller asking if I could use this battery with the same mount for my 13Ah battery, and they responded saying:

"It is not recommend,it is different current, will not be good for battery.

We recommend to buy 2 pcs 13ah battery."

Unfortunately carrying an extra pack around isn't an option for me a lot of the time, so I'd like to have a 17.5Ah as my "main" battery.

Could somebody help me understand what the seller means? I don't understand why the different current is a problem. Would it be related to the mount/connection for the battery having different specs?

I'm wondering if I swap the mount to the one that comes with the 17.5Ah battery, then occasionally use the 13Ah battery in place of the 17.5, is there a potential for me to damage anything apart from the 13Ah battery?

I am totally ok with it if the 13Ah battery is the only thing that could get damaged. Not so much the 17.5Ah (it's a lot more expensive)

Thanks all

I'm a bit confused about two batteries and hoping somebody with more experience than myself could make sense of this...

Basically, I currently have this 48V 13Ah battery running on my bike:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154421583551

The range is a tiny bit less than what I would like, so I am looking at buying this 48V 17.5Ah battery, which is the same brand as mine and appears to have the same Hailong case / dimensions and 4-pin connector:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154127955561

I reached out to the seller asking if I could use this battery with the same mount for my 13Ah battery, and they responded saying:

"It is not recommend,it is different current, will not be good for battery.

We recommend to buy 2 pcs 13ah battery."

Unfortunately carrying an extra pack around isn't an option for me a lot of the time, so I'd like to have a 17.5Ah as my "main" battery.

Could somebody help me understand what the seller means? I don't understand why the different current is a problem. Would it be related to the mount/connection for the battery having different specs?

I'm wondering if I swap the mount to the one that comes with the 17.5Ah battery, then occasionally use the 13Ah battery in place of the 17.5, is there a potential for me to damage anything apart from the 13Ah battery?

I am totally ok with it if the 13Ah battery is the only thing that could get damaged. Not so much the 17.5Ah (it's a lot more expensive)

Thanks all

I believe that the seller misunderstood your intended use.
He is referring to using two batteries at the same time wired in parallel... Then you should not use two of different capacity. If you use them as you describe... You'll be fine.
Just make sure it is the same size case as I believe different sizes look very similar. Otherwise you'll have to swap the base as well.

They are both built with the same number of cells of the same size, 18mm x 65mm cells.
The bigger battery is a combination of higher density 3,500 mAh cells ( 5P x 3500mAh= 17.5A). The smaller is a combination of cheaper 2,600 mAh cells ( 5P x 2600mAh= 13A). It is highly possible that they use the same case.

They are both built with the same number of cells of the same size, 18mm x 65mm cells.
The bigger battery is a combination of higher density 3,500 mAh cells ( 5P x 3500mAh= 17.5A). The smaller is a combination of cheaper 2,600 mAh cells ( 5P x 2600mAh= 13A). It is highly possible that they use the same case.

If his intention is to use one base with both batteries... That is a question best answered by the seller.
When one ASSumes, you know what can happen... especially with the supply shortages these days.

@Gionnirocket Ahh that totally makes sense! Thank you!! I think the seller and I are basically just confusing eachother at this point due to the language barrier

@fauconnier Fingers crossed! That was my thinking as well but I'm confused after speaking to the seller.

I think I'm just gonna order it as the seller and I are having a hard time communicating. Worst case I'm thinking I'll just swap out the base and try to sell the old battery dirt cheap.

@Gionnirocket Ahh that totally makes sense! Thank you!! I think the seller and I are basically just confusing eachother at this point due to the language barrier

@fauconnier Fingers crossed! That was my thinking as well but I'm confused after speaking to the seller.

I think I'm just gonna order it as the seller and I are having a hard time communicating. Worst case I'm thinking I'll just swap out the base and try to sell the old battery dirt cheap.

When speaking with Chinese sellers it is best to use short simple sentences, each on its own line. Long sentences often garble in translation.

Does 13ah battery and 17.5ah battery use the same mounting base?
Can I install 17.5ah battery in 13ah mounting base?
Include a photo with the mounting base labeled

Back