Terrible IZIP Customer Support

Kams

Region
USA
I would not own another izip product if it was given to me. My husband had trouble with his IZIP Zuma from the get go. His battery would randomly not work. So we ended up paying a fair amount to have the contacts re-soldered. Then the charger went bad. Mind you the battery has less than 50 hours on it and the bike is 4 years old. I spent this past winter trying to get a new charger. Currie who is now Alta Cycling and makes all the chargers for IZIP sent me two chargers that didn’t work. I called again and Mikie J told me they didn’t have any more chargers and they don’t support that Zuma anymore. I said, “what do you mean you don’t support it?” He likened it to a cheap cell phone where after four years you can’t get a new battery and have to upgrade. In my mind, if I buy a $2500 bike made in the USA, I think I could expect that the parts would be supported longer than four years. This is a terrible company.

I'm not sure that the AliExpress charger referenced will work that iZip's battery.
I have a 7 year old iZip Sumo, and while its connector also looks like a standard XLR, it's not.
The iZip (TranzX) has a narrow pin in the middle that the XLR doesn't:
1646157133094.png

Sorry you had that experience.

I don't know IZIP is made in USA though?

Anyways, is this the charger you had?
2018-izip-e3-zuma-3-amp-battery-charger-with-metal-tip-1200x800-c-default.jpg

That looks like a generic Chinese charger with XLR connector.

You can buy this on AliExpress.

That is the charger, but the one from Ali Express will not work. I have four pins on my connector and all the XLR connectors I see online have three. You wouldn’t want to sell that battery charger would you?

Attachments

• 2E34591D-9745-4437-BE87-CAEEFF2B4B55.jpeg
    2E34591D-9745-4437-BE87-CAEEFF2B4B55.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 235
where are you located KAMS?

if you are Socal local I can look at the charger and figure out why it isn't working. I can even assist in rewiring it if need, so that a regular XLR charger works on it. I have some experience with this (30 years in the automotive industry and the past 15 in the electric car space.)

basically the charger needs a positive and a negative and only uses 2 of the 3 or 4 pins. problem is that many of these chinese made chargers use different pins, some use 1/3 others 2/4 even others 1/4 etc.

need to look at the battery port and the charger port with a multimeter and figure out which of the 4 ports are being used and which are positive and negative.

I have multiple batteries for my 3 of my e-bikes and all of them use different chargers and pinouts. I re-wired all of them so that they used the same pinouts so we could use any charger on any bike. Even batteries from the same company one battery came pins 1/3 and the other pins 1/2. no consistency and no standards.

feel free to PM me if you want some help. I believe we can get the bike back up and running for you provided the battery hasn't gone 100% flat.

I'd reach out to TranzX directly to see if they can provide support:
E-BIKE SYSTEM: [email protected]
I'd include the model year and that photo of the connector - the Zuma evolved

Their N. American distributor is:
Dialed Distribution LLC
(916) 249-9665
[email protected]

Note that "Dialed" is a distributor, and may not have much ebike tech information.

if you are Socal local I can look at the charger and figure out why it isn't working. I can even assist in rewiring it if need, so that a regular XLR charger works on it. I have some experience with this (30 years in the automotive industry and the past 15 in the electric car space.)

basically the charger needs a positive and a negative and only uses 2 of the 3 or 4 pins. problem is that many of these chinese made chargers use different pins, some use 1/3 others 2/4 even others 1/4 etc.

need to look at the battery port and the charger port with a multimeter and figure out which of the 4 ports are being used and which are positive and negative.

I have multiple batteries for my 3 of my e-bikes and all of them use different chargers and pinouts. I re-wired all of them so that they used the same pinouts so we could use any charger on any bike. Even batteries from the same company one battery came pins 1/3 and the other pins 1/2. no consistency and no standards.

feel free to PM me if you want some help. I believe we can get the bike back up and running for you provided the battery hasn't gone 100% flat.

I’m in NorCal. Is there any way to do this remotely? We have a voltmeter. My husband can go buy a multimeter…I could send you the chargers??? It definitely sounds like you know your batteries : )

I’m in NorCal. Is there any way to do this remotely? We have a voltmeter. My husband can go buy a multimeter…I could send you the chargers??? It definitely sounds like you know your batteries : )
I'm sure we can facetime or some such,, send me a PM and I will send my contact info to you.

Back