Cube 500 Tourer re-setting jumped chain and chain guard tip + displaying selected power mode..

Oxo

Region
Australia
I've had my Tourer 500 for several months now and clocked up 1600 kms on it. A very comfortable bike which encourages me to use it. I did wish it had a couple of more gears above the current 9 though and more than the limited 250watt power output as it is pretty heavy! (I've only just found the sequence to press on the display to get it to display the elected power mode: from OFF/press and hold to show trip distance/press and hold again to show the distance range available/press once quickly to show OFF again.

As this bike is a pedelec type the chain is prone to jumping off the front sprocket (pedal cog/ring). My local bike supplier has shortened the chain by one link to tighten it but that did not fully cure the cog jumping.

When I change gears now I stop pedalling, as recommended in the manual. However, often if the bike is in too high a gear when needing some effort to move off or going uphill etc the chain can pop off, so I ensure I'm in a very low gear (smaller rear cog) before being stationary or travelling very slowly before a hill climb or fast getaway.

It is very awkward to reset the chain over the front cog with the chain guard in place, even by creating slack by bringing the rear derailleur chain mechanism forward (and held by an elastic strap perhaps) and a longish screw driver to poke the chain in place. So I have removed the mounting brackets for the front of the chain guard and suspended it at the front with a sturdy cable tie. I have 3 layers of thickish insulating tape to protect the frame from the potential rubbing of a looser chain guard and am thinking of taping a section of foam beneath the top edge of the chain guard to stand the guard a little further away from the frame. The guard is still firmly attached at the rear and doesn't move or rattle. Now when the chain jumps off the front cog I can simply twist the chain guard up a little and slip the chain over the cog with my fingers - easier still if the derailleur is pulled forward to give more chain slack. What a relief!

Attachments

• Cube 500 Tourer re-setting jumped chain and chain guard tip 50%.jpg
    Cube 500 Tourer re-setting jumped chain and chain guard tip 50%.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
On my birthday last summer I've spent more than 1 hour trying to free my chain that had been stuck between the protector mount and the chainring.
All this with 37 degrees and in direct sun. I finally managed to do it and then did 97km ride :))

Your post reminded me that I have to remove the whole protector. Serves no purpose to me as I always cycle with cycling clothing and tights, so I dont need any trousers protection.

On my birthday last summer I've spent more than 1 hour trying to free my chain that had been stuck between the protector mount and the chainring.
All this with 37 degrees and in direct sun. I finally managed to do it and then did 97km ride :))

Your post reminded me that I have to remove the whole protector. Serves no purpose to me as I always cycle with cycling clothing and tights, so I dont need any trousers protection.
Hiya. My chain jumped off again yesterday on a rugged track but all I needed to do was pivot the chain guard up a little, as mentioned in my post, to attain access to the whole cog to loop the chain back on. Easy. And I still don't have grease on my cyling trousers!!

I replaced the chain guard with this. It’s a direct fit and protects your clothing from the chain ring and front part of the chain without obstructing access to the chain when required. As a plus it makes it much less likely that the chain will jump anyway.

I replaced the chain guard with this. It’s a direct fit and protects your clothing from the chain ring and front part of the chain without obstructing access to the chain when required. As a plus it makes it much less likely that the chain will jump anyway.

This looks great DocMartin. I recently had my Cube 500 overhauled. The local dealer upgraded the front chain ring, under warranty, to prevent the chain coming off. (On my own cost I also had my brake pads, chain and rear wheel cartridge renewed - recommended after 2500 kms). So far, after 300 kms, the chain hasn't jumped off again.

Back