Does anyone have the Discover?

Pep

Region
USA
City
Providence, RI
Hi! I'm looking into the Discover (specifically the Discover LE), but I can find hardly anything about it, and no real user reviews. Does anyone have it? I'm curious about how powerful the motor is in actual use--good enough for a boost up moderate city hills? And would like to know about the overall quality, and how easy or difficult it is to work on if anything goes wrong. I wrote to Hilltopper support about the latter, and got back:
"Most of the parts are pretty simple for the user to swap out themselves and we are more than happy to help walk you through those replacements should they ever come up." and "The motor isn't designed to be easily accessed. Thankfully it is the part of the system that should last the longest. We have some customers still using their original motor wheels from over 10 years ago with new battery set ups, so I wouldn't worry too much about the motor itself. The battery shape is specific to this bike, but we will be offering additional spare batteries soon!"

I love the look of this bike, and it fits squarely in the middle of the types of bikes I'm looking at, but I don't want to make a purchase this big without more info. Thanks for reading and for any insights!

Just took delivery of a Discover LE this afternnon, & so far cannot recommend it. I'm dead in the water getting it put together because the front wheel won't fit onto the bike. Brake calipers shipped VERY tight -- they rub loudly on the back wheel & were almost too tight to fit the disc into on the front. It looks very much as though either the dropout on the left side of the front fork is irregular, or the front fork is bent, not sure which yet. The pedals are cheap plastic & have no bearings -- you'll need to lubricate them & may need to replace them at some point.

It doesn't come with printed assembly instructions; they expect you to print out the PDF. The instructions are extremely high-level -- front wheel instructions mention nothing at all about the orientation of the tab washer, which is kind of critical & is something their wheel kit instructions go into great detail on.

I can't give you a ride review yet because I haven't managed to get it working.

Just took delivery of a Discover LE this afternnon, & so far cannot recommend it. I'm dead in the water getting it put together because the front wheel won't fit onto the bike. Brake calipers shipped VERY tight -- they rub loudly on the back wheel & were almost too tight to fit the disc into on the front. It looks very much as though either the dropout on the left side of the front fork is irregular, or the front fork is bent, not sure which yet. The pedals are cheap plastic & have no bearings -- you'll need to lubricate them & may need to replace them at some point.

It doesn't come with printed assembly instructions; they expect you to print out the PDF. The instructions are extremely high-level -- front wheel instructions mention nothing at all about the orientation of the tab washer, which is kind of critical & is something their wheel kit instructions go into great detail on.

Yikes, I hope they're able to fix the issues and get you up and running! Thanks for the info.

Yikes, I hope they're able to fix the issues and get you up and running! Thanks for the info.
Given the price ($1800) it may still be a good deal. It is >25 lb lighter compared to my Voltbike Bravo, & the belt drive does look like it's properly tensioned. I'll come back when I've got it running to say what it rides like.

I've now gotten it on the road so I can report a bit more about how the bike actually works.

Good parts:

I haven't ridden gravel bikes before - I expected it to be like my old Fisher hybrid, & it was, to an extent, but after inflating the tires to 40 psi (recommended range is 30-50 psi) I can say I think I now "get" the gravel bike concept. The tires really do make a difference. So, most of the good things about the old hybrid (quick steering, fast, harder-cornering) with a bit less vibration. I also haven't ridden an internal shift bike in 40 yrs, & that part was also mostly nice. The Discover LE has no quick-release anywhere, so you'd want to keep wrenches with you for a while at least until you're sure everything's set up; that said, I honestly found adjusting the seat height with an allen wrench was easier than quick-release. Belt drive is another thing I've previously never used, & that seemed really nice -- it just felt like the connection between pedaling & going was very direct, for lack of better language. The bundled porteur rack was super easy to install & feels solid, though I haven't yet carried anything on it. It does look like there are standard mount points for a rear fender or rack, if you ride on wet surfaces. Seat is very basic but after almost an hour in the saddle I honestly didn't feel too bad. The bike is light enough that I didn't find it at all difficult to ride hard without power assist (which is good, because assist didn't work, see below).

Bad parts:

Altogether, getting it on the road was around 4 hours of work, the bulk of that trying different things to get the front wheel to fit on the bike.

The setup instructions are abysmal. First, they require you to print them yourself - they don't even send a hard copy, they just email you a link to the PDF. They'll be fine for people who get a perfect build; if (like mine) one's build is a bit off, they could quickly become worse than useless. E.g. the instructions for putting on the front wheel were basically (to borrow a phrase from someone on their FB group) 'put on front wheel.' By comparison the printable instructions for their wheel kits go into detail about the order & orientation of flat washers & the keyed washer that functions to lock the axle in place. That difference in detail matters because if you go to those instructions looking for more, you're liable to end up seriously confused.

Then there's the fact that the front dropouts were irregularly sized & too small for the axle. This is often an unavoidable problem when putting a Hilltopper wheel on a conventional bike, but this is their own wheel on their own bike - it should just fit, right? Nope. In order to get the front wheel to fit I had to file at least a millimeter off the inside of one of the front dropouts. This was easier than it might've been because the fork is aluminum (which is worth mentioning because the company recommends steel forks for their upgrade kits). Both the dropouts were too small, but one was a lot smaller than the other -- so, I guess that means build quality isn't great. (Aside on that note, the battery doesn't seat perfectly flush in its recess, even when fully locked in place.) Front brakes were cranked so tight I could barely force the disc between them when trying to mount the wheel; I had to loosen them. I'll need to adjust both brake sets because the rear rubs & now the front is too loose (the latter's on me, I was eager to get it on the road).

The crank is very stiff - it doesn't spin freely. On the last 5 bikes I rode regularly, going back about 30 years, I could easily kick the pedal back around to a better starting position - on this bike, I need to push the crank around with my foot. I dont' know whether that's due to the belt tension or the crank not being installed correctly.

Shifting (especially downshifting, & particularly 4th to 3rd) is sluggish. There's often a slight lag (1-2 seconds) between actuating the shifter & the shift actually happening. Given the general sloppiness of the build I wonder if this might be due to low lube levels in the shifter, so I'll be checking that as soon as I look up how.

Power assist: Cannot review that, as I have not yet gotten it to work. While I was out riding, neither throttle nor power assist would work, though the display seemed to be functioning normally. (Display has very small print. If you're nearsighted or have had cataract surgery / are getting old (like me), it may be quite difficult to read.) When I got back, I found it could not be switched off. I had to unseat the battery to power cycle it. After that, the throttle seemed to work, but I was too tired to go out & test the assist. Will test that tomorrow, but based on comments I've seen elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised to find the controller needs to be replaced.

Final verdict is that I'm probably going to take this to a bike shop in a neighboring town that sells Hilltopper conversions, & have them at least rebuild the crank or retension the belt, whichever turns out to be the problem. (Crank rebuilding & belt tensioning are a bit above my skill level at this point. One really nice thing about this bike is it's actually light & small enough that I CAN take it to a farther-off shop in the back of my car. Either my Volt Bravo or my Trek Globe would be really challenging to do that with.)

I've now gotten it on the road so I can report a bit more about how the bike actually works.

Good parts:

I haven't ridden gravel bikes before - I expected it to be like my old Fisher hybrid, & it was, to an extent, but after inflating the tires to 40 psi (recommended range is 30-50 psi) I can say I think I now "get" the gravel bike concept. The tires really do make a difference. So, most of the good things about the old hybrid (quick steering, fast, harder-cornering) with a bit less vibration. I also haven't ridden an internal shift bike in 40 yrs, & that part was also mostly nice. The Discover LE has no quick-release anywhere, so you'd want to keep wrenches with you for a while at least until you're sure everything's set up; that said, I honestly found adjusting the seat height with an allen wrench was easier than quick-release. Belt drive is another thing I've previously never used, & that seemed really nice -- it just felt like the connection between pedaling & going was very direct, for lack of better language. The bundled porteur rack was super easy to install & feels solid, though I haven't yet carried anything on it. It does look like there are standard mount points for a rear fender or rack, if you ride on wet surfaces. Seat is very basic but after almost an hour in the saddle I honestly didn't feel too bad. The bike is light enough that I didn't find it at all difficult to ride hard without power assist (which is good, because assist didn't work, see below).

Bad parts:

Altogether, getting it on the road was around 4 hours of work, the bulk of that trying different things to get the front wheel to fit on the bike.

The setup instructions are abysmal. First, they require you to print them yourself - they don't even send a hard copy, they just email you a link to the PDF. They'll be fine for people who get a perfect build; if (like mine) one's build is a bit off, they could quickly become worse than useless. E.g. the instructions for putting on the front wheel were basically (to borrow a phrase from someone on their FB group) 'put on front wheel.' By comparison the printable instructions for their wheel kits go into detail about the order & orientation of flat washers & the keyed washer that functions to lock the axle in place. That difference in detail matters because if you go to those instructions looking for more, you're liable to end up seriously confused.

Then there's the fact that the front dropouts were irregularly sized & too small for the axle. This is often an unavoidable problem when putting a Hilltopper wheel on a conventional bike, but this is their own wheel on their own bike - it should just fit, right? Nope. In order to get the front wheel to fit I had to file at least a millimeter off the inside of one of the front dropouts. This was easier than it might've been because the fork is aluminum (which is worth mentioning because the company recommends steel forks for their upgrade kits). Both the dropouts were too small, but one was a lot smaller than the other -- so, I guess that means build quality isn't great. (Aside on that note, the battery doesn't seat perfectly flush in its recess, even when fully locked in place.) Front brakes were cranked so tight I could barely force the disc between them when trying to mount the wheel; I had to loosen them. I'll need to adjust both brake sets because the rear rubs & now the front is too loose (the latter's on me, I was eager to get it on the road).

The crank is very stiff - it doesn't spin freely. On the last 5 bikes I rode regularly, going back about 30 years, I could easily kick the pedal back around to a better starting position - on this bike, I need to push the crank around with my foot. I dont' know whether that's due to the belt tension or the crank not being installed correctly.

Shifting (especially downshifting, & particularly 4th to 3rd) is sluggish. There's often a slight lag (1-2 seconds) between actuating the shifter & the shift actually happening. Given the general sloppiness of the build I wonder if this might be due to low lube levels in the shifter, so I'll be checking that as soon as I look up how.

Power assist: Cannot review that, as I have not yet gotten it to work. While I was out riding, neither throttle nor power assist would work, though the display seemed to be functioning normally. (Display has very small print. If you're nearsighted or have had cataract surgery / are getting old (like me), it may be quite difficult to read.) When I got back, I found it could not be switched off. I had to unseat the battery to power cycle it. After that, the throttle seemed to work, but I was too tired to go out & test the assist. Will test that tomorrow, but based on comments I've seen elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised to find the controller needs to be replaced.

Final verdict is that I'm probably going to take this to a bike shop in a neighboring town that sells Hilltopper conversions, & have them at least rebuild the crank or retension the belt, whichever turns out to be the problem. (Crank rebuilding & belt tensioning are a bit above my skill level at this point. One really nice thing about this bike is it's actually light & small enough that I CAN take it to a farther-off shop in the back of my car. Either my Volt Bravo or my Trek Globe would be really challenging to do that with.)
Thanks so much for this! Sounds like it could be a nice bike if they fixed the fit and finish issues, changed the fork to steel, and... you know, made sure it actually worked. I hope the bike shop is able to get everything up and running for you. I just found a good deal on a Propella 7 speed and am going to fit it with gravel tires. It's simpler and cheaper and so far so good.

The idea is nice, but it goes deeper than fit & finish.

I've been told that they've identified a 'problem with cable routing' that could be causing the issue with power assist (still haven't gotten that to work for more than about a mile at a time), but that they 'are deciding what to do about it.'

Also since I posted my original reply I've noticed that the brazeons where the rack attaches to the fork are literally different distances from the bottom of the fork (close to a full centimeter of difference), which causes the frame (or anything you'd mount) to mount crooked.

In investigating the issue with battery fit, I've figured out that the battery couldn't possibly fit flush into the frame because of what appears to be very interesting defect. I'm going to be pulling together pics to send to them, but the descriptive version is this: The battery connection hardware is part of a plastic unit which fits into a cutout in the frame, & it fits snugly into the critical dimension of that cutout - which leaves it several millimeters too high for the batter to be flush in the frame. As far as I can tell it doesn't cause electrical discontinuity, but it would admit water if I ride in the rain (which I normally do, because I'm a commuter & sometimes it rains at the end of the day). I'm having a hard time figuring out how every example of this bike doesn't have the same battery-fit flaw -- only thing I can think of is that they sourced some but not all of their frames & forks from a new supplier who had wildly lax QA, & then never checked the product before transhipping it to the customer (me). That could also explain the different-sized front fork dropouts & the attachment points being at different places on the right & left arms of the fork. That in turn makes me suspicious that the stiff bottom bracket might be due to the frame being a bit crooked there, which I expect would cause the bottom bracket to wear out early.

It has a few OK components, but beyond that, this bike is essentially Walmart-level on quality. At this point I expect it won't last more than a few years.

Until you see a LOT of good customer reviews, I'd say 'don't buy it.'

Sorry to hear it's so bad! Hope you can get a refund.

Hi! I'm looking into the Discover (specifically the Discover LE), but I can find hardly anything about it, and no real user reviews. Does anyone have it? I'm curious about how powerful the motor is in actual use--good enough for a boost up moderate city hills? And would like to know about the overall quality, and how easy or difficult it is to work on if anything goes wrong. I wrote to Hilltopper support about the latter, and got back:
"Most of the parts are pretty simple for the user to swap out themselves and we are more than happy to help walk you through those replacements should they ever come up." and "The motor isn't designed to be easily accessed. Thankfully it is the part of the system that should last the longest. We have some customers still using their original motor wheels from over 10 years ago with new battery set ups, so I wouldn't worry too much about the motor itself. The battery shape is specific to this bike, but we will be offering additional spare batteries soon!"

I love the look of this bike, and it fits squarely in the middle of the types of bikes I'm looking at, but I don't want to make a purchase this big without more info. Thanks for reading and for any insights!
No, & it is extremely unlikely. I´d get a burro 1st. Granted it´s a big improvement over the original
hill topper, but still nothing to get excited about.

I received it in Dec 2021, and due to snow didn't ride it until April 2022. Using only assist level 1, I was able to get 53 miles out of the battery on a ride that also included 4 tough climbs. A ride with various assist lvl 1, 2, and 3, I was able to get 35 miles before the batt was drained. Comfortable upright riding position, wide semi-knobby tires. The Gates Carbon belt drive and 7 speed internal Shimano Inter7 hub are so quiet and once adjusted for proper tension stayed that way for the next 200 miles. Came with a color matched front rack that I never installed. Nice bike so far. I'm considering buying another one as a gift for a 29 yr old.

Back