US ebike Company: Hi-Power Cycles

Thanks for pointing them out and mentioning the cargo bike! During my West Coast trip late last year I tried to visit Hi-Power Cycles near LA but couldn't reach them via phone to confirm on the day of the visit. We had setup a meeting time but there were several other things going on (and it was going to be a seven hour round trip drive out of the way to visit) so I decided to skip. They called a day or two later asking if I was still going to visit but I was already on my way to Phoenix to visit the Stealth guys.

I'm sure I'll swing by again in the future but it's too bad we missed. I've created a new Hi-Power Cycles forum here to chat about their stuff and moved this thread there :)

I like the look of their new e-HOG mid-drive electric cargo bike and just happen to have some experience with this kit... on a cargo setup! The guys at Long Island Electric Bikes were testing something similar with a 750 watt 8Fun mid-drive (the same motor) on a Surly Big Dummy cargo bike (steel frame, very similar design). I haven't published the review yet but here's the video I shot. It's currently unlisted but feel free to share, I usually wait to post fully until the written portion is up :)

Last edited:
Buyer beware. Sorry to hear that. I almost bought a battery from them. Buying an ebike is SOOO emotional and expectations can be difficult to achieve. When I bought my Optibike in 2008, I know I was a pain in the butt, nic pic'in and questioning this and that because it costs and I wasn't sure this ebike thing woul d work. I am also a detail oriented, engineering, you know what type....sigh**.

I'm not defending HPC. Customers speak the loudest.

Every ebike website i visit has nasty things to say about HPC Bikes, from price to quality.. Yet they have been in business for around 5 years, which is an eternity for eBikes.

So it's hard to understand how they stay in business with so much negative feedback.. I bought some ebike parts from them a couple of years ago, and they work fine, but that's not their usual business.

What I notice about HPC is, even though they've been in business more than a few years now, it's hard to find any actual owners posting youtubes showcasing their bikes. Almost all the HPC youtubes are posted by the company themselves, and under more than one user name. When a bike is really good you'll have actual owners posting about their bike virtues.

Wordsforthewise- I will say the same thing here as I said on your endless sphere post that you have neglected to respond to. We are waiting to help you!

There is a reason we have been around 6 years and are stronger than ever. A negative comment from a true owner is extremely rare. And if it happens, we go out of our way to make things right!

"Hi there,
If you are a real customer and not a competitor, call me personally at 818 734 1600. Ask for Chris. We take care of our customers. We do not use an Alite 500, sorry, you can look at the specifications yourself. Not even close. If you would compare our entry level HT-1 hardtail spec to spec vs any KHS 26" hardtail, it is better equipped than anything they have. If you got one of our specials, we do sell a KHS Alite 500 for a cheap price with a conversion kit on it.

Regarding discharge rates, you are well uninformed. Our standard Li-NMC is true 5C continuous, our HPC Elite is true 7C continuous and our highest end HD Elite is 12C continuous. We urge you to compare to other vendors. We do this so batteries do not even work hard at the working 40-50A. This means they barely get warm under load. As we state numerous times on our specifications, range is a MAXIMUM at 18-20 mph on flat ground, no pedaling. Of course you will get less when getting after it or when offroading, etc.

Regarding your comments about our origins and getting money from rich parents. Sorry, but we have grown organically from day 1, and never borrowed money from anybody. We are very proud of this fact. Like I said, if you really bought a bike from us and are unhappy, call me ASAP and we can chat."

You can follow developments on the thread here. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17846&start=25

We have reached out, still waiting for the chance to help you!

Keep an eye out for the review of our $1995 Freedom mid-drive electric bike in the upcoming issue of Electric Bike Action Magazine. The new Freedom and eXplorer offer great bang for the buck and the most power on a sub $2000 bike from any major vendor. The Freedom and eXplorer produces 850W true output and 750W output to the rear tire!

What I notice about HPC is, even though they've been in business more than a few years now, it's hard to find any actual owners posting youtubes showcasing their bikes. Almost all the HPC youtubes are posted by the company themselves, and under more than one user name. When a bike is really good you'll have actual owners posting about their bike virtues.
Actually, posting YouTube videos is sound SEO practice, regardless of who in the organization has been tasked with posting. Happy owners producing video's is rare, and rather we tend to see an image accompanied with a comment, good or bad.

I'm dealing with them now on a Full Suspension build and so far it's been a great experience. I've changed my mind several times and swapped out different parts etc. and they've been great about it all.

We've been waiting for some Tektro Brake adapters for about a week now. Talked to Chris yesterday, and they have Magura Dual Caliper Brakes in stock so they are going to upgrade me to a set of MT-5s which they can mount today. So great customer service there. These are significantly more expensive than the Tektros.

http://www.magura.com

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Got the Magura MT-5 dual caliper brakes on her. Waiting for a new front rim from Alexrims (Supra BH) and it's gonna be a wrap. Should be riding it next week.

Qzkv84iRfFWSjpxqT827OSn6TiNKhv.png

Last edited:
I want to test ride before buying HPC Explorer hardtail 1300v,m-drive w/ prem. package ( very expensive 4 my first buying e-bike, mistakes purchase unacceptable to me. Problem: only 2 dealers 50 and 130 miles away of Bay Area, and both don't stock this bike for test ride. Now, I wouldn't buy an expensive car without see it and driving it- so why would HPC bikes be any different. I so disappointed, don't want to give my business to competitor, but what's my choice?

Where do you live Sal? I have a 5000 watt model HPC that I would let you ride (assuming you know what you're doing). In fact, that's mine in the photo right above your post. I'm in Cupertino.

As for repairs? There's only three main parts. The Motor. The Battery. The Controller. All of those can be replaced by the end consumer at home if you are handy with tools and have basic knowledge of electrical systems. If you aren't handy with tools then maybe a better idea to get something from a local dealer.

Unfortunately, not too many companies make bikes comparable to the HPC offerings. That's the main reason I went with them. I only had three choices if I wanted a high powered bike. Make it myself from a kit, buy one from HPC, or buy a Stealth Bomber from a local dealer.

Where do you live Sal? I have a 5000 watt model HPC that I would let you ride (assuming you know what you're doing). In fact, that's mine in the photo right above your post. I'm in Cupertino.

As for repairs? There's only three main parts. The Motor. The Battery. The Controller. All of those can be replaced by the end consumer at home if you are handy with tools and have basic knowledge of electrical systems. If you aren't handy with tools then maybe a better idea to get something from a local dealer.

Unfortunately, not too many companies make bikes comparable to the HPC offerings. That's the main reason I went with them. I only had three choices if I wanted a high powered bike. Make it myself from a kit, buy one from HPC, or buy a Stealth Bomber from a local dealer.

That's one monster of a bike.
May I know which bike frame is that?
Thanks

Thank you bareyb, your very kind in your test drive offer and HPC 5000w beast of a bike. Since my last post, I bought a fat tire Orion 8 Crawler from lectriccycles ( arrived 3 days ago). I live in Concord, you too welcome to test ride mine bud. I choose lectriccycles because they seem to offer a great unique bike at one third the price of HPC....HPC was #1 choice but just fell in love with this fat tire bike.... I especially like their one of a kind shift sensor, nuvinci hub, 11/9 shock,Thudbuster seat, 48v, 13 amp battery, and newest bbso2 motor, sram hydraulic breaks, etc. I would should you a pic of my exact bike but having trouble loading it. This is a close picture of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-30-21-44-46.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-30-21-44-46.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 970
That's really cool Sal. My friend just got a fat bike and I think they're pretty cool. Lectricycles is a new one for me, so I'm off to go read up on them. Glad it all worked out for you. :)

I'm currently working with HPC on a hardtail (which I'm hoping to get by the end of this week). So far they have been a pleasure to work with. I'll follow-up with a review once I've had a chance to ride the bike.

I'm currently working with HPC on a hardtail (which I'm hoping to get by the end of this week). So far they have been a pleasure to work with. I'll follow-up with a review once I've had a chance to ride the bike.
Cool. Congrats! I love mine. Which Motor Battery combo did you go with? :

I went with a 2000w thunderbolt motor, and a 52v 12.5ah battery. It was a hard decision choosing the power I think I'll need while also staying under my budget. I am somewhat concerned about the actual range I'll achieve on this system I'm getting. Glad to hear you're still in love with your bike!

Back