Mirror for GoCycle GX

mbvogel

Hi - I'm a Yank living in London and have a need for a mirror on my bike. I just got a GoCycle GX.

Has anyone put a mirror on their bike? There's a screw on the end of the handlebar and I was wondering if it's possible to install a mirror on the end of one of the handlebars?

Thanks for any advice.

I wanted a bar end mirror on my GX too. the screw on the end of the grips secure them onto the handlebar. I managed to get a pair of grips for the older model, I believe the GS, directly from GoCycle. those type just slide onto the handlebars and are the exact size as the GX ones. I just couldn't find aftermarket grips that were short enough on the shifter side that would look good. the GS grips don't have the locking screw on the end but come with end caps. just leave one or both of the end caps off and you can put any standard bar end mirror on there. I used a small round bar end by Hafny from Amazon. switched to a metal one that's a little larger called the CRG hindsight, also bought on Amazon.

I see that the GX grips can be purchased as an upgrade for the GS so that confirms that the GS grips (if I could get them) would fit on the GX. But did you somehow glue the GS grips onto the handlebar? How did you avoid the GS grips from being lose and rotating on the handlebar?

yes, you are correct, I should have mentioned that. I did glue the GS grips on so this is a little bit more "permanent" than one with a locking screw or coupling. it does preserve the factory look of the grips while being able to use the bar ends though which is worth it for me. here in Las Vegas, there are areas that aren't very bike friendly, so being able to see traffic behind me is a must. real estate on the handlebars on a GoCycle is a bit awkward too, not much room to mount stuff. I'm now looking for a center mounted phone mount that looks decent but the middle of the bar is so fat, I can't find anything that would fit that looks appealing.

here are a couple of pictures. the GX has the CRG mirror and the Hafny now lives on the Brompton.

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 1,342
  • IMG_4383.jpg
    IMG_4383.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 1,258
Thanks so much. I did send an email to GoCycle to see if they have GS grips. On their website, they're selling the GX grips for the GS so not sure if they are out of stock with the earlier version with the end caps.

Regarding the mirror - any issue with it when the bike is folded? I have to fold the bike to put in my closet for recharging when I'm home.

And I agree - here in London I really feel uncomfortable without a mirror especially when I have to make a right turn.

I was talking to the manager at my local bike shop and he suggested I look at the Ergon GS1 grips as an alternative to finding the GS grips.

if you find one that fits, let me know. I like the Ergons, I have Ergons on the Brompton. what I found when I was looking a while back was the stock grip on the right side of the GoCycle is really short to accommodate the shifter. I think the GS1's have a locking coupling that's at the end. I don't think they are short enough to push in all the way to lock them with the sleeve.

We got the Ergon GS1. The long grip doesn't work because of the location of the throttle. But the short grip seems to work. The handlebar is shorter so the screw location (for clamping down) is beyond the bar. So we glued it on. I think that when I get the mirror, the screw will grip onto the part that sticks out of the handlebar. But we'll know when the mirror arrives this week.

Is there a mirror that will fit on the handle bar?

I measured it and the circumference is about 13 cm. Any help would be great. I also have a GX.

I got a Busch & Muller mirror. My receipt doesn't show the model number but here is the link on the website of the shop that I purchased it from. Really like it a lot.

hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-parts-city-bike/bicycle-handlebar-stem/bicycle-mirror/bicycle-mirror/busch-muller-bicycle-mirror-e-bike-black-607101/

I got a Busch & Muller mirror. My receipt doesn't show the model number but here is the link on the website of the shop that I purchased it from. Really like it a lot.

hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-parts-city-bike/bicycle-handlebar-stem/bicycle-mirror/bicycle-mirror/busch-muller-bicycle-mirror-e-bike-black-607101/
Great!Thanks! How does it mount to the GX handlebar?

Removed the end cap of the grip and I can't remember if it just screwed it or if I needed to use a bit of superglue. But it was very easy.

Removed the end cap of the grip and I can't remember if it just screwed it or if I needed to use a bit of superglue. But it was very easy.
So please help me understand. You removed the Allen screw from the end of the handlebar and then just pull off the rubber grip? Then you cut off the end of the rubber and inserted the mirror in the opening?

I unscrewed the Allen screw from the short (not throttle) grip and removed the grip. I then installed the replacement short grip from the Ergon grips, removed the end cap from the Ergon grip and inserted the mirror. I think I may have used a bit of superglue to hold it all on.

Back