Giant Ebike Life Expectancy

2019QuickE

Hi all,

As my name implies, I am the owner of a 2019 Quick E+. I use the bike as a daily commuter and clock up around 150-200 kilometres a week. I charge the bike every day and run the battery down to 40-60% after a day’s commute.

Obviously motors and batteries will both wear out eventually, so I’m curious about what others experiences are with this, so I can figure out what sort of lifespan to expect and whether there is an ideal point to replace the bike before it needs major maintenance/ parts replacement.

I’d love to hear from people with higher mileage Giant Ebikes. What sort of distance have you clocked up? Have you needed any major maintenance and what sort of range do you now get out of the battery?

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Warranty is 2 years on the electrics, Giant are great on warranty but make sure you get the whole thing checked before warranty runs out so any faulty parts can be replaced / fixed. At the very least, connected to the dealers computer with a report and any errors fixed.

I was getting a torque sensor error on my 2018 pro , all electrics including motor replaced with upgraded 2020 parts. Impressive warranty support, but now I'm out of warranty so any future issues I have to decide what is worth fixing.

That is sort of what I'm thinking at the moment. 2 Years would be around 15,000 km at my current rate of usage, which seems fairly high for most bikes. It would also be somewhere between 300-600 charge cycles and according to my internet research I can expect the battery pack to last 500-1000 cycles. This seems to make sense as it aligns with Giant's warranty period on the electrics. I suppose it will all come down to what I can sell it for at 2 years of age. It would cost me $6 a day to catch the bus, so over two years the bike saves me ~$3000, so even if I turn them over every two years, it's still a fairly attractive proposition (not to mention the health/psychological benefits of cycling).

Maybe that narrows down my question, anyone out there with more than 10,000km/7,000 miles on the odometer and how is your bike going from an electrical/mechanical/range perspective?

In the big Giant E+ thread, alasdair posted a Sep 19, 2019 update of his 2017 model for 2+ years with 12k miles of heavy use. I think he has got his value from the eBike over using a car.

TLDR: Chain was changed 4x and cassete twice. Tires last about 3k miles. Break pad change every 2k miles on the front. Battery is 65% of its original charge.

Don't forget about the maintenance costs as Abercrombie points out. My experience is that I replace tires less often but brake pads more often. I currently have about 8,000 km's on my Juiced CCS.

In the big Giant E+ thread, alasdair posted a Sep 19, 2019 update of his 2017 model for 2+ years with 12k miles of heavy use. I think he has got his value from the eBike over using a car.

TLDR: Chain was changed 4x and cassete twice. Tires last about 3k miles. Break pad change every 2k miles on the front. Battery is 65% of its original charge.
Thanks for that, I had seen a few posts that part answered my question, but not that one. I agree he's gotten value out of it with those figures, although I'm a bit surprised the battery is down to 65%, I think I'd hoped it would hold up a bit better than that, but I suppose it's probably in line with expectations if it's done 500+ charge cycles.

29,745 kilometers on my Haibike Trekking S6.0 with the Yamaha PW-45 drive. 3 years of ownership. Not a Giant, but the drive is similar to some Giant models.
Wow, that is seriously impressive, both from a longevity and a distance perspective! What's your battery capacity like if you don't mind me asking?

About to pass 8000mi on my quickE and I couldn’t be more satisfied. Zero issues with the motor or battery. Crashed twice, once got doored and only had to true up the wheels. I got caught in a heavy thunderstorm the other day and had to ride home. Hit some massive puddles and was a little worried for the electronics. Everything works great still.

I use this for food delivery and go back and forth between it and the toughroad. The main benefits of the quickE for me is that it accelerates quicker than the toughroad and is much more nimble on city streets. The battery health is at about 93%, but I am constantly surprised by the range I get. I do use it on eco and eco+ 99% of the time, but regularly max out the motor on flats and slight downhills. Taking off the rear rack helped immensely with the death wobble I’d get going no hands. Also, going to 41mm tires keeps me fast and light. Thinking of adding a front rack now that I have unused fender brazons. Great bike. 10/10 would buy again.
image.jpg
image.jpg

forgot to mention I’m on my second set of rotors and maybe 6th(?) set of pads. Luckily the Shimano pads are cheap (compared to the road Sram, yikes!)
All else OE.

Did you notice any reduction in range yet?

I had to replace my first battery right before hitting 20,000 miles. My range was cut down to maybe 20 to 30 % (yea, it sounds really bad) and the power was no longer there.

That said, my bike is Juiced CrossCurrent Air, MSRP of $999 and the battery was pretty crappy Samsung 26F and I didn't really take care of battery either, and used it everyday.
No, I haven’t noticed any reduction in range as yet
Pre COVID I was commuting daily to the office and back (72km in total/day) and most days I still had ~30% battery remaining when I got home
The odd head windy day steals ~5-10% of the battery so YMMV

I have my giant explore e3 since last Oct, 21 cycles so far, battery health fluctuate between 97 to 100. Giant said the battery is good for 500 to 600 cycle before we notice any degradation. Based on my usage, it will last me 10 yrs lol

giant uses the Panasonic cell (apparently the same type Tesla uses), I wonder what Yamaha uses for their official battery.

I put 10000 kilometers on my 2020 Giant Fastroad E+EX from 2020-2023 - I upgraded (actually downgraded) to an Explore E+2 to get front shocks and larger wheel size. It was really hard to sell the Fastroad. I used Facebook Marketplace and boosted the ad several times. Spring and summer came and went. People were simply not interested in used Ebikes - it finally went for $1000 with new tires and brakes. I didn't even get people asking what the mileage was. If I had the space, I would have kept it. At 10k was there any battery degradation? Nothing noticeable.

Damn, I would have gladly bought a used Fastroad E+ - but you're probably not local to me.

My co-worker has a Fastroad E+ as well. He got it in early 2020 and the other day he said he's at 17,000 km's on it. He really likes it and sounds like he'll have it for quite some time.

Toronto? If we're discussing the longevity of Ebikes - I believe the Fastroad would have been good for another 10k easy, I was probably due for a chain replacement - the first year of riding I think I was pretty hard on it. One thing to note: I dropped both bikes, due to the weight both times resulted in bent front forks. The first one was brutal, at high speed, I was knocked off the bike by a guy colliding into me with an electric Unicycle , the second time it was a slow topple on a slippery wooden bridge. So, due to being so heavy, when Ebikes fall, there's more damage than regular bikes.

I'm in Vancouver.

You were on the original chain? Wow! I think my co-worker is on his 3rd or 4th chain, I'm pretty sure his 4th, and I think he's on his 3rd cassette.

Back