Took the plunge...getting a 2020 eProdigy Magic Pro

mjl_toronto

I did it...I joined the world of ebikes and ordered a 2020 eProdigy Magic Pro! I plan to contribute in this forum as time will allow. This community has been so helpful throughout my decision process that I figured I would give back to help other prospective owners. There wasn't much info about this brand or model, so I hope I can help. I plan to provide regular updates, along with pictures (maybe videos?) throughout my journey of owning this.

Some background info:

About me: I'm not a bike/ebike enthusiast. I simply saw an opportunity to reduce my commute time a lot by buying an ebike and taking local trails to work. I used to bike to work in all weather, including ice storms, but gave that up several years ago when I got hit by a construction truck! Fortunately, I survived with only bruises, a sprained ankle, and a lot of pain. I miss the freedom of biking to work and recently decided to get back on the 2 wheels. I'm not much of a gear head, and I definitely don't know how to repair bikes well. However, I am a tinkerer that enjoys fixing things, but sometimes end up breaking things more.

Why an eBike: After my accident, biking wasn't very fun anymore. I was quite nervous for a while, and found any reason I could to avoid biking. I'm fortunate that I live and work close to a huge network of bike trails, however the meandering trails meant my commute doubled compared to taking roads directly to work. I never considered an ebike until this year when I went on a Fat ebike winter trail tour in Mt. Tremblant. I was hooked. That took me on journey of researching ebikes which led me to my purchase.

Why eProdigy Magic Pro: I wanted an ebike that would be comfortable for commuting, and something I could share with my wife occasionally. I didn't care for long range or high speed, but wanted strong brakes, front suspension, decent quality components (not bleeding edge), and low maintenance. There wasn't much info about this model but I read and watched the review by @Court (thank you!) and was really intrigued. I was drawn to the idea of a belt drive and IGH because of the low maintenance and clean factor (hated getting chain grease on my pants, even with chain guards somehow). However, the 2018 Magic Pro model didn't come with suspension, so I put it low on my short list of ebikes. The suspension was a must have because of the icy trails I ride during winter. Then I came across a post/video by @scout592 that mentioned a 2020 version with suspension. I contacted eProdgiy asking when that would be available, and they said I could purchase it now. So I did, and now I wait.

Bonus factors: A few non bike related things that helped me make the decision were as follows:
  • eProdigy is a family owned father/daughter company that's been around since 2011. I thought that was a pretty cool story, and I love supporting small businesses. Just hope they support their customers too!
  • They have a bike tour brand called Bees Knees that seems to get decent reviews online. Figured if they built their own bikes for these tours, they must build them to last. Right?
  • They weren't hit by shipping delays from China, and are sending my bike next week.
  • Their communication was prompt and really helpful.
Apprehensions: Some things that make me a bit nervous:
  • Buying online without ever trying the product. But that seems to be normal for ebikes.
  • I know a lot of people say belt drives are low maintenance, but I'm not entirely confident about that. Guess I'll have to learn that myself.
  • eProdigy seems like a small company, so not sure how future warranty, service, repair, or parts will turn out. That being said, a lot of ebike companies seem small.
Other eBikes considered:
  • Dost Drop: I really wanted this bike. Unfortunately, they, like others, were hit with shipping issues. I did appreciate Sam's quick and thorough communication via email. Maybe I'll buy a model from them in the future.
  • Riese and Muller Nevo: Heard lots of great things about this brand and model, but the price was too steep for me.
  • iGo Discovery and Biktrix Swift: There were a lot of bikes like these that had a great price. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough to push it to the top of my short list. I'm sure they're great products, but nothing about them made them stand out above others. No offence to the companies or anyone owning these.
Anyway, I think that's long enough for my first post in this thread. Feel free to ask me any questions or provide any feedback.

Welcome. I felt the same way about Riese and Muller, but luckily for me I was able to score a 6 month old one for about 40% off and took the plunge a few months ago. Still getting things dialed in on bike adjustments, but it sure if fun to commute on and with the coronavirus going around, I feel better not being on public transportation.

I can give a lot of encouraging news about Eprodigy because I had one when they were still called Epik. They are local to me so I know them quite well and have nothing but good to say about them. One time I had a funny feeling from the motor in my Whistler, made a phone call to Melody, and she drove to my home for a long test ride after which she assured me it was in perfect shape. My Whistler ran so well that I rode it far in excess of what could be considered normal, I put on 23,000 km. in 2 years and still had tread on the original tires( I upgraded to Schwalbe Marathons when I purchased the bike). Because I rode so much, they relied on me to discover any bugs that needed tweaking and I became their official tester, proudly testing the first 500 watt prototype of their motor in the world. Melody is now the owner of the company which she inherited from her retired engineer/inventor father. Melody is a fanatic when it comes to pleasing her customers and giving them what they want; even recipients of her warranty service long distance always end up happy and satisfied. I am proud to call Melody my friend. Anyway, I too am considering a Magic Pro but it is a difficult choice living in an area surrounded by innovative e-bike manufacturers and dealers. It seems that all I have learned about E-bikes in the last 20 years just makes it more difficult to make a choice. But when it comes to high end e-bikes, the Magic Pro is at the lower end of the price range and does not seem to sacrifice anything in quality.

• I know a lot of people say belt drives are low maintenance, but I'm not entirely confident about that. Guess I'll have to learn that myself.
I used to own Priority Classic analog bike with the Gate Carbon Belt Drive and Shimano 3-speed IGH. I can attest that it truly is low maintenance (non maintenance in my case). I owned the bike for about 6 years and have never done any maintenance and It continued to perform well. I recently sold it for roughly 30% less than what I paid for after 6 years of use. I currently own a Haibike Xduro Urban, but also have the new Watt Wagons UC Pro (super bike) on order which has the Rohloff IGH and Gates Carbon Belt Drive.

I can't wait to ride it. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun on your new ebike. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I used to own Priority Classic analog bike with the Gate Carbon Belt Drive and Shimano 3-speed IGH. I can attest that it truly is low maintenance (non maintenance in my case). I owned the bike for about 6 years and have never done any maintenance and It continued to perform well. I recently sold it for roughly 30% less than what I paid for after 6 years of use. I currently own a Haibike Xduro Urban, but also have the new Watt Wagons UC Pro (super bike) on order which has the Rohloff IGH and Gates Carbon Belt Drive.

I can't wait to ride it. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun on your new ebike. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I have both the Magic Pro with the Alfine 8 hub, it was the first one they put on a bike and really messed it up. I get a speed wobble on mine and wouldn't recommend it. I also have a Watt Wagon Commuter Pro, I should say had as I just gave it away to some unsuspecting soul.

I have both the Magic Pro with the Alfine 8 hub, it was the first one they put on a bike and really messed it up. I get a speed wobble on mine and wouldn't recommend it. I also have a Watt Wagon Commuter Pro, I should say had as I just gave it away to some unsuspecting soul.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. What are you not recommending? Can you please clarify? Did you have a bad experience with the UC Pro?

@pushkar, were you aware of this? Can you offer some insight on what the cause was and whether this is still an issue?

1. I am not sure if he is referring to the UC Pro.

2. I am choosing not to respond to Feliz's posts due to prior history. I would take everything Feliz says with a grain of salt. Ditto about my opinions about him - take them with a grain of salt too, just for consistency's sake.

If you read my post you'll see I have a speed wobble on the Magic Pro. Pushkar gets upset if I mention any of the issues I had on the Watt Wagon, what's wrong with telling it like it is? Anyway as you know I got rid of the WW. I didn't know you are involved with eProdigy Pushkar, what's your involvement? And by the way I have never mentioned even half the issues I had with my WW on this forum, I just went ahead and fixed things at my expense.

Edit: I'm assuming eProdigy have made changes to their bikes since I purchased mine a couple years ago. In all fairness to eProdigy they hired Velofix to get the bike right. The bike is great, I love the motor, belt drive, and Alfine IGH. The bike still has a speed wobble which I am quite familiar with from my motorcycle days. A wobble is not uncommon with that design of frame and it's obvious if you shake the frame it's loose. I wouldn't recommend buying a Magic Pro unless there's been corrective measures in the design. Maybe it's only mine that does it, the choice is yours.

Last edited:
1. I am not sure if he is referring to the UC Pro.

2. I am choosing not to respond to Feliz's posts due to prior history. I would take everything Feliz says with a grain of salt. Ditto about my opinions about him - take them with a grain of salt too, just for consistency's sake.

Why are you doing this? You don't even know me! People speak of issues they've had with bikes on this forum every day. I guess that's why you created a secret thread for WW owners only, no one will read about the issues right? I should post the email you sent me telling me to keep my mouth shut but I won't because I'm a nice guy.

Back