Known Issues & Problems with Bagi Bike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Bagi Bike as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I have a Bagi Bike B10 and there have been a few issues which people need to be aware of.

First, I experienced some (a lot) issues with the stock brakes. They come with Tektro 160mm 2 caliper hydraulics which had a few issues out of the box which I need to alert people to. The front brake wanted to lock up the wheel a couple times which was really really disconcerting plus the same brake was losing pressure. Had to feather the blade to get any grip. I brought the bike into a local shop and they looked at it, bled it, adjusted it but the problem persisted. The wheel was locking up again through normal braking...normal meaning not slamming on them and not using front and rear at the same time. But, they were heating up FAST. Granted, everyone rides differently and it's different where they ride and everyones weight is different...BUT...this heat was scary. I brought the bike back to the shop because the front brake was losing pressure. They bled it again but it still was losing pressure...but no escaping fluid could be found. The rear brake sounded like bbs in a blender. I thought perhaps this was just due to the pads not yet being seated yet. However, my last bike was a full suspension mountain bike with mechanical disks and they were silent from the get-go. So my anxiety was pretty high riding anywhere.

This was the 2nd bike that I had ordered from a store in New Jersey. The first one, when I received it, was pretty much destroyed. I needed to prove to the bike store in NJ that it was unrideable...so I took pictures for insurance reasons and sent them. They sent me a 2nd bike and wanting to make sure that no damage had occurred I started by taking photos before, during and after unboxing. I could not get settled on the noises coming from these brakes. So I started to compare photos from my fs mountain bike, the first ebike...and the second ebike. To my surprise, after comparing photos of the 3 I found that the rear rotors on the 2nd ebike were not facing the same direction. See picture. Now I'm really unsettled with the whole brake setup. I decided to scrap them and upgrade to Magura 4 caliper front and rear with 203mm rotors. Where I ride is mostly pavement, city, lots of hills (some pretty steep) and twistys on paved trails and I need to make sure if someone darts out from a driveway I have a chance of survival. The Magura upgrades help massively. NO bbs in a blender sound and no front wheel lock up. See photo. My advice...VISUALLY inspect the installation of the brakes paying close attention to how the rotors are facing. BTW...I had to cut off the original grips to get the old Tektro controls off. Those Tektros are a single piece mounting system where the Maguras have a 2 piece so there's no need to remove the grips. I rearranged the all the controls to make things easier to reach.There was a sticky substance keeping those grips on there so...after slicing them off with a drywall knife and cleaning up the bars I installed the Ergon GP-1 large size. Now when things need to be changed out you just loosen a hex and easy peasy.

That was the brake issue...now on to the display. The display is the Bafang C961...and I hate it. And I need help. After getting into the settings and then the "hidden" settings to correct the wheel size (you'd think this would've been done during the assembly at where ever but NOPE) you're excited to ride. What I'm finding tho is that the 5 step battery bar on the screen is WAY off at best. When the indicator on the screen drops 1 notch...you probably have 1/3 battery remaining. When the battery gage is at half...you're almost completely dead. Now...a little background people start jumping all over me. I've had 4 right knee surgeries and 11 pain procedures due to those surgeries in less than 4 years. If I rode a regular bike it would be way too painful. The assist I have from an ebike lets me get out and riding with using more leg muscles than I do sitting on the couch. I'm in total control of how much I'm using the bad knee. The motor helps me get out of a jam and up to speed without wasting my bad leg or damaging it even more than it already is. BUT...I have the PAS on LVL 1 ALWAYS because that's the condition of my knee. Without the assist I might as well resign to staying on the couch. The reliability of information on this display might be ok for people who have all their strength with both legs but...I'm not sure that would make much difference seeing that the bike is pretty hefty. I did swap out the Kenda knobbys for Innova semi-slicks to help with the resistance and it does quite a bit as well as cuts way down on the vibration and noise. But that display...ugh...range anxiety. Better to rely on the odometer than the fuel gage. But then that's not helpful when exploring new paths and if the terrain varies you're on your own. The Juiced Bike folks look like they have a great display on their Hyper Scorpion where you get a LOT of geeky info and a 9 bar battery gage. The geeky info helps you not to have to rely on that battery bar and get much better accounting for what you got left in the tank. I'd trust that kind of info much more than what thew C961 has. So...that's my delima with this bike right now...getting an accurate reading of what juice I got left in the tank without killing myself pushing the bike home.

A couple other things I'd like to point out. As I mentioned I've got a really bad right knee and my first purchase was the more BMX styled BagiBike B20 Fag/Mag. I liked that bike but the approachability was a bit difficult (mounting and dismounting). The step through is better for my knee. HOWEVER...please note that the architecture/dimensions of the bikes are DIFFERENT. Make SURE you check out the dimensions...the B20 (BMX style) is longer overall (about 4") and at its lowest seat setting sits just over 1" higher than the step through B10. While looking similar even the rear rack mounts of the B10 and B20 are totally different...you can't swap those out...gotta be the same.

Is there any easy swap/replacement options for this crummy display other than replacing with same and hoping for the best? If so, what are the options?

If so would I need to replace the controller also?

Looking for relief form range anxiety.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20191011_140232_2.jpg
    20191011_140232_2.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_20200702_193159.jpg
    IMG_20200702_193159.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20200704_062057.jpg
    IMG_20200704_062057.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 631
have you charged the battery, let it sit for a day and then checked it with a mutlimeter to see if it may be a weak battery

how many miles do you usually get with the bike before the display drops the first bar?

my bagibike is not at 1/3 battery after one bar down and this does not sound like a display issue but a battery issue

Hi, Vincent. No I don't have a multimeter and I'm quite electrically illiterate. Give me a couple days and I'll have the other answer for you.

have you charged the battery, let it sit for a day and then checked it with a mutlimeter to see if it may be a weak battery

how many miles do you usually get with the bike before the display drops the first bar?

my bagibike is not at 1/3 battery after one bar down and this does not sound like a display issue but a battery issue
Hi Vincent,

Here are some observations from this mornings ride. Before I left the battery was fully charged. Temp was 62F. I generally ride in PAS 1 but sometimes have to step it up depending on the incline. Odometer was reset to 0. Light was on entire time. When I mention the Battery level indicator I'm talking about the indicator on the battery itself.

0 miles Handlebar display battery reading--5 bars
Battery level indicator------Top green light

8 miles Handlebar display battery reading--5 bars
Battery level indicator------Middle green light
I shut the bike off and rested at 8 mile mark...turned the bike back on...same readings

12 miles Handlebar display battery reading--5 bars
Battery level indicator-------Middle green light
Didn't stop to rest kept going

13.3 miles Handlebar display battery reading--5 bars
Battery level indicator-------Middle green light
Back home before 7am

...there's no way I'd go out tomorrow morning without feeling range anxiety knowing that the day before I rode 13.3 miles and the handlebar battery display shows full. Never budged.

It's now 9pm bike has been off, never charged it...handlebar reading still at 5 bars, battery level indicator middle green light.

Hmm I have a different battery than you and not even sure it has lights on it like that...

So all my riding has been done off the display

I am confident my display would show full with 13 miles in level one, mine probably does not lose a bar until 16-20 miles depending on how hard I am riding it
But if there is a meter on the battery I have not noticed it to compare...
But the display has been reliable for me

I would be curious what bagibike says about this

Hmm I have a different battery than you and not even sure it has lights on it like that...

So all my riding has been done off the display

I am confident my display would show full with 13 miles in level one, mine probably does not lose a bar until 16-20 miles depending on how hard I am riding it
But if there is a meter on the battery I have not noticed it to compare...
But the display has been reliable for me

I would be curious what bagibike says about this

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_212548.jpg
    IMG_20200807_212548.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_20200807_212550.jpg
    IMG_20200807_212550.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 489
That's really strange...this is the battery my bike came with. On the Bagibike website the bikes are called different names now and also have a different display on them. I wonder if something was going on with the original set up. Mine was sold as a 2020 model...this new batch is also being sold as a 2020.

I have a b26 step thru, my battery is in the frame and looks nothing like that

but you need to check with bagibike, go on their website and contact them directly with your questions
They have been great getting back with me in a timely manner

I have a Bagi B20 Premium Street model. I have had it for about 6 weeks now and almost 300 miles. It is a really fun bike to ride. I ride 100% of the time on streets or paved bike paths. The 2 inch tires are perfect for me. At age 73, one of the most important features for me is the relatively light weight of 53 pounds total and 43 without the battery. That makes it relatively easy to lift the bike into my mid size suv. Everything has worked fine, the hydraulic brakes are wonderful,, love the mag wheels, love that the lights are wired into the main battery. I had rented some bikes with 750 watt motors and my Bagi with a 500 watt motor seems to have more power. The only minor issue is that the battery life indicator on the display is not linear. It remains at 5 bars for 10-12 miles. If you're on a ride and get to 3 bars, you better start your return ride. Don't ask me how I know. I wish Bagi would hire Court for a full review. Love the bike.

Just bought a Bagi B27 step thru full size bike. It is sort of an urban / cargo / tour bike. It is solid, comfortable and well appointed. Bafang 500 motor seems very smooth and powerful. Bought it mainly for daytripin'. I'm 70 :) I had never heard of the brand and was a little concerned. It seems they are mainly in the small folding bike business. I gotta say I have no complaints so far. I don't like the choice of tires (Knoby's) but that's an easy fix. Would love to hear from other owners on what they think and know about the bike. COURT you NEED to review thanks.

I have that same bike with the 3 inch fat tires, not sure what number that is - the full size step through and I love it, it’s been a great bike and very solid

I have that same bike with the 3 inch fat tires, not sure what number that is - the full size step through and I love it, it’s been a great bike and very solid
I ordered some street tires today, 2" Really don't like the Knob tires on pavement. Let you know how they perform. How long have you had the bike?

Back