Known Issues & Problems with Soul Fast E Bikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
No Ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Amego as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other to go further and be safer.

Although the the frame is definitely unique and the motor has the capacity to power the bike, I am not so thrilled with the quality. Perhaps these guys were so overwhelmed with orders that they shipped the bike incomplete or, assembly is also done in Asia with only minor finishing touches here in the USA. Until we work out the issues, I cannot give a complete review of the bike.

Last edited:
I purchased a Soul Sonic Saber with the Pro package in Jan. of this year. I’’m a large size rider , i.e., 6ft. and 285lbs. so I was looking for a bike that would handle the weight. The Sonic Saber does the job. I’m guite happy with my purchase so much that I just received my 2nd Sonic Saber Pro SS. The Pro SS is the Sonic Saber with all of the Pro package items already included and they added the SS chrome badging. I like the design asthetics of this bike because it doesn’t look like all of the run of the mill ebikes that are pretty much the same bike with different paint schemes and names i.e, rebranded bikes. It doesn’t have the blocky battery attached to the frame or the rear rack that a majority of the ebikes that are out there. The bike is designed and sold by Jim Decker, a former BMX racer and you can see the BMX influence in the design. For the price point, design asthetics and quality of the build and components, I think this brand and model is unique compared to the generic rebranded bikes out there. It has decent components and from what I see the build is of high quality. It is not a $7k -$10k ebike with top of the line components and a major big name brand that someone will pay more for just because of the name or it is European design/brand. It is an affordable cruiser style ebike with a unique design with decent componets. You can always add higher end components later if you want (and if you can find/afford them). Starting at $1899 for the basic Sonic Saber to $2499 for the Sonic Saber Pro SS model is really a decent price for a very nice e-Cruiser. They also offer a mid drive (Hot Rod) model with more power and larger battery along with some different designed components that is capable of higher speeds. That would be the Soul Stomper SS. The previous poster made a generic statement regarding the quality. Not sure what they were referring to as they were not specific. Did they actually see/ride a Soul Sonic Saber? With the specs below and the price point, I feel this is a decently priced and quality bike. They have a YT channel and there is a detailed review of their SS Stomper.

7D95A496-7D6C-4A7C-B3CC-41070E54C29A.jpeg

03994DB6-2E40-4F94-96AE-239F4A0EDA01.jpeg

( My Measurements)

Ground to top of handlebars: 50" / 4'- 2"

Width of handlebars: 35" / 2' - 11"

Wheelbase center to center: 51" / 4' - 3"
Length outside tire to outside tire: 78" 6' - 6"

Seat Tube: Dia. 27.2mm, Length: 30cm

Handlebar Dia. 31.6mm - 24.0mm

Rear Axle Nuts: 18mm

Front Axle Nuts: 15mm

Battery Weight: 8 lbs.

Bike Weight w/o Battery: 62 lbs.

Total Bike Weight: 70 lbs.

Note: Due to parts availability my Blue Sonic Saber Pro SS has new upgraded high end front hub with Sealed bearing with 10mm axle. So no front “Spike” wheel/axle nuts. Good trade off though.

Soul Fast EBikes Specs:

MAKE:

Soul Fast E Bikes

MODEL:

*SABER PRO SS $3800 / SALE $2499

BODY POSITION:
Upright

SUGGESTED USE:
Cruising & Terrifying The Streets

ELECTRIC BIKE CLASS:
Speed Pedelec (Class 2)

WARRANTY:
Lifetime frame warranty, 1 year parts, 16 months *motor & battery

AVAILABILITY:
World Wide

MODEL YEAR:

SONIC SABER Details:

TOTAL WEIGHT:
58 lbs

BATTERY WEIGHT:
6.1 lbs

MOTOR WEIGHT:
12 lbs

FRAME MATERIAL:
6061 Aluminum Alloy

FRAME SIZES:
19 in (48.26 cm)

GEOMETRY MEASUREMENTS:

19″ Seat Tube,
26″ Reach,
30″ Standover Height,
34.5″ Width,
79″ Length,
35.5″ Minimum Saddle Height,
Handlebar height 4′

FRAME FORK DETAILS:
Front suspension fork with 5” of travel.

FRAME REAR DETAILS:
170mm Hub Spacing, 11/32nd Axle with 15mm Nuts

GEARING DETAILS:
7 Speed Shimano derailleur

SHIFTER DETAILS:
Shimano Revo grip shift

CRANKS:
*Custom Soul Black series 4130 Chromoly, 175mm Length, 42T Chainring

PEDALS:
XL Alum

HEADSET:
Integrated

STEM:
*Billet Clamp, 31.8mm, 180º Adjustment Range

HANDLEBAR:
*Aluminum Alloy, BMX Style, 180mm Rise, 870mm Length, 30º Back Sweep

BRAKE DETAILS:
Mechanical disc, 180mm Front Rotor / rear Rotor, Motor Inhibitors, 2-Finger Levers with Adjustable Reach.

HYDRAULIC BRAKE UPGRADE AVAIL

SADDLE:
Grand Star Oversize, Quilted, Rubber Bumpers, Reflective Logo on Rear

SEAT POST:
Aluminum Alloy

SEAT POST LENGTH:
350 mm

SEAT POST DIAMETER:
27.2 mm

RIMS:
Aluminum Alloy, Punchouts, 36 Hole

SPOKES:
Stainless Steel, 14 Gauge, Black with Chromed Brass Spoke Nipples

TIRE BRAND:
*Soul FAST Vee Speedsters w/ Protection Sealant

WHEEL SIZE:
26 in (66.04cm)

TIRE DETAILS:
10 to 30 PSI (0.4- 2.1 BAR) (26 x 2.80)

TUBE DETAILS:
Schrader Valve

ACCESSORIES:
Integrated front headlight & rear tail light

ELECTRONIC DETAILS:

MOTOR BRAND:
Mens 26″ Bafang 750 / 1000W peak

Ladies 26″ Bafang 500 / 75W peak

24″ Bafang 500 / 750W peak

MOTOR TYPE:
Hub motor

MOTOR NOMINAL OUTPUT:

Mens 26″750 watts

Ladies 26″ 500 watts

24″ 500 watts

MOTOR PEAK OUTPUT:
26″ 1000 watts
24″ 750 watts

MOTOR TORQUE:
750W 80 Newton meters

BATTERY BRAND:
Samsung

BATTERY VOLTAGE:
48 volts

BATTERY AMP HOURS:
10.5 ah / *14ah PRO SS

BATTERY WATT HOURS:
696 wh

BATTERY CHEMISTRY:
Lithium-ion

CHARGE TIME:
6.5 hours

ESTIMATED MIN RANGE:
30-40 miles

ESTIMATED MAX RANGE:
50+ miles (97 km)

DISPLAY TYPE:
Bafang 961C

READOUTS:
Battery Capacity, Clock, Trip Distance and Timer, Odometer, Current Speed, Average Speed, Maximum Speed, Assist Level (0-5)

DISPLAY ACCESSORIES:
Independent Button Pad on Left, Buttons: Up, Down, M, Power (Hold Down for Walk Mode, Press M to Cycle Trip Readouts, Press Power to Cycle Distance and Range Readouts)

DRIVE MODE:
Cadence Sensing Pedal Assist, Trigger Throttle (12 Magnet Sealed Sensor)

TOP SPEED:
28+ mph *

SS Pro Package:
CUSTOM INTEGRATED 14AH LONG RANGE BATTERY
MASSIVE FRONT LOCK OUT SUSPENSION FORKS
LIGHT WEIGHT UNDER 60LBS
SOUL SPEEDSTER PERFORMANCE TIRES by Vee Rubber

INCLUDED PRO SS PACKAGE – HYDRAULIC BRAKES
BAFANG 500C COLOR DISPLAY
SOUL FAST SEALED BILLET ALUM PEDALS
HIGH POWER INTERGRADED HEAD LIGHT
4130 SOUL SIGNATURE CRANKS
SEALED BOTTOM BRACKET
KMC Z CHAIN
LOCK ON GRIPS
SS BADGING
BILLET 31.8MM MTB STEM
ALUM BMX BARS

Last edited:
Although the the frame is definitely unique and the motor has the capacity to power the bike, I am not so thrilled with the quality. Perhaps these guys were so overwhelmed with orders that they shipped the bike incomplete or, assembly is also done in Asia with only minor finishing touches here in the USA. Until we work out the issues, I cannot give a complete review of the bike.
It appears when the review was done several years ago the Sonic SS was assembled in AZ with parts are sourced globally. Now the SS Is direct shipped from China. Not that their is anything inherently wrong with this business model however, this should be transparent to the consumer at time of purchase. Quality control is a major challenge for any manufacture who wants to incorporate an oversea direct ship method. Test ride, etc is not an option. Defects have to be fixed by the consumer unless you live reasonably close to AZ

Could you specify the quality issues you are referring to and who the “we” is that have to work out those issues? Have you personally inspected and test rode any of these ebikes? You are referring to a review done by someone else several years ago for a different model. I saw the same YT review and I don’t recall any quality issues that were brought up. Issues, if there are any, are usually part of a review. That is what reviews are for. You are basing your comments on someone else’s review and for a different model. I’m referring to the new Sonic Saber Pro. I have two of the newer Saber Pros and have been driving one for several months and just received the 2nd one a few days ago. Both have high quality construction and good components. No issues with either bike. I am not aware of any ebike that is 100% manufactured, assembled and parts sourced in the U.S.

Last edited:
I own the bike. I also own several bikes. Been both road and mountain cyclist for 30 years. The YT video was done by this forum (Review). The model is SS as I describe in first sentence. The issues are several. Your bikes are very different as they are hub motors, correct ? The main issues is the (ST 3 speed hub) is not rated for mid drive Ebikes. I had several derailments. The throttle cable is not long enough and was not connected when I received the bike, chair guard on backwards, no puncture protection in tire, brakes were not the same as video. When I compare to another ebike I bought for half the price the quality on the less expensive bike is clearly better (Seat, kick stand, Software, battery charger, lights) Unless you own Ebikes from other manufactures how can you compare ? This was my experience and this is what reviews are for. In the video made several years ago the owner claims "made in America" Some bikes are assembly in USA but we do not make critical components here; Moreover, my bike was direct ship from China in a TV box.

Thanks for your clarification. Yes I have two of the Saber Pro’s. Hub drives with the 750W motors and 14.5aH batteries. I live about 4 miles from Soul Fast eBikes and they were assembled there so maybe that’s why I haven’t had any major issues. I had a flat on one caused by a rough edge on the rim and had to have the rear brake lever bled as it became squishy after about 75 miles. Soul took care of those issues and they just sent me a free brake bleed kit so I can do it myself in the future. Other than that they have been great. The Stomper SS is too rich and too fast for my needs. I just like to cruise around. I’m too old to be out there ‘shredding it. Body parts bruise and break more easily these days. For the price, components used and the their styling of a cruiser style (Saber) bike they are a good value. Not the run of the mill rebranded/repainted ebike. Thanks again your clarification.

I own the bike. I also own several bikes. Been both road and mountain cyclist for 30 years. The YT video was done by this forum (Review). The model is SS as I describe in first sentence. The issues are several. Your bikes are very different as they are hub motors, correct ? The main issues is the (ST 3 speed hub) is not rated for mid drive Ebikes. I had several derailments. The throttle cable is not long enough and was not connected when I received the bike, chair guard on backwards, no puncture protection in tire, brakes were not the same as video. When I compare to another ebike I bought for half the price the quality on the less expensive bike is clearly better (Seat, kick stand, Software, battery charger, lights) Unless you own Ebikes from other manufactures how can you compare ? This was my experience and this is what reviews are for. In the video made several years ago the owner claims "made in America" Some bikes are assembly in USA but we do not make critical components here; Moreover, my bike was direct ship from China in a TV box.
Which specific bike are you referring to that has better quality for half the price? I don't think I have seen a good quality ebike for $1250.00
But there are lots of bikes out there.

Which specific bike are you referring to that has better quality for half the price? I don't think I have seen a good quality ebike for $1250.00
But there are lots of bikes out there.
The Electric Bike Company. I have a model R. 7 speed derailer set up with hub motor. Yes, very different from the mid-drive Sonic SS but the overall quality is far superior. I did not mention the Bafang software is limited. For example in order for throttle to operate, you have to be in peddle assist mode. Does not make sense to me... The "far superior" comment is based on price point. I paid with all extras from Electric Bike Company about 2.2k. Sonic SS was 4.2k. The look of the Sonic SS is awesome. It really does turn heads and is in a class of its own. Specifically, the front fork. But other than look it does not have that much going for it ?

The Electric Bike Company. I have a model R. 7 speed derailer set up with hub motor. Yes, very different from the mid-drive Sonic SS but the overall quality is far superior. I did not mention the Bafang software is limited. For example in order for throttle to operate, you have to be in peddle assist mode. Does not make sense to me... The "far superior" comment is based on price point. I paid with all extras from Electric Bike Company about 2.2k. Sonic SS was 4.2k. The look of the Sonic SS is awesome. It really does turn heads and is in a class of its own. Specifically, the front fork. But other than look it does not have that much going for it ?
I thought we were discussing the Saber not the SS my bad.
My EBC Model R came in a little over $2,800. Got the rack, upgraded seatpost and 14ah battery upgrade. I would still like to get a Saber.

I was referring to the Saber Pro. Stomper SS is for more aggressive riders. I’m not a fan of the Triple forks.

Last edited:
From what I gather they try to ship them in TV boxes so the shipper thinks they're fragile and handle them accordingly...

Hello I just joined the forum today. I plan on taking a trip to their showroom soon and giving them a try...
I'm having a very rough time finding reviews for these bicycles..
Been on their website which are going to obviously show 5-star reviews...
Anyhow I'll report what I find...

I am curious if they still use the Strurmey Archer 3 speed hub (SXRK3) Sturmey Archer will not warranty the use on Ebikes. Also the Bafang software, has that changed ? Not being able to use just throttle. Having to be in peddle assist mode to use throttle is kind of useless. Good Luck.

I am curious if they still use the Strurmey Archer 3 speed hub (SXRK3) Sturmey Archer will not warranty the use on Ebikes. Also the Bafang software, has that changed ? Not being able to use just throttle. Having to be in peddle assist mode to use throttle is kind of useless. Good Luck.
My wife and I are after trying out the hub drive bikes not the mid-drive. And from my understanding most all the companies have went away from having to pedal before you can put the throttle on because people were complaining if they had to start off on a hill that's the whole point of having the throttle...

My wife and I just got back from taking a trip down to Mesa to check out the soul saber pro SS 26" hub drive and The 24-inch Miss saber...
We got there on Thursday this last week and as luck would have it The owner was there to give us a personal tour and test ride.. explaining to us all the unique features of each bike and plenty of friendly conversation...
Compared to the bikes we've looked at locally these are very substantial.. I'm not going to get into the description of all the parts or what size motors or batteries or anything they have because that's easily looked up on their website... I will say we ended up ordering them to have delivered as it was cheaper for delivery than paying taxes in Arizona... Plus we didn't have to stuff two big boxes in the back of our small SUV...
I'll be able to give more details when I get my own and how they came and how they went together and now they perform. As of right now I already have tracking numbers I believe my wife's coming from Southern California and mine will be coming from Mesa as this is where their stock lies at the time...
Speaking of stock they're having a rough time with the supply chain as everyone is. No hats no t-shirts and plenty of things they would like to be able to sell not available.. time should hopefully change all of that... It even gets worse when they have a container full of bikes sitting on the port and can't get it delivered and then have to pay rent on the container space which makes Costco up even worse... It seems they're not trying to pass this on to the customer...
So far from what I can gather these bikes are pretty refined for how short this whole market has been out there..
I don't think you'll be able to back door one of these from Taiwan... I even went down the process in my brain about building my own and having to start with a 600 to 800 to $1,000 26-in BMX cruiser and pay another $1,000 for the battery and do it yourself kit.. I'm two grand into a homemade bastard machine.. this purchase for us was pretty much a no-brainer...
If anybody wants to quote me it goes to my email and I can tell you anything I see from myself...
I ordered them Friday and got a tracking number Friday and so far I'm supposed to get them on Wednesday or at least the one from California...

Congrats, Jpar! You will be getting your ebikes quick. When I ordered mine it took 3 months for the first one and almost 4 months for the second one. I live about 5 miles from their Mesa store so I had them assembled there before pickup. I like my Soul Sabers very much. Definitely a different looking ebike from the majority of the others out there. No major issues. I had to have the deralleur replaced on one (my fault) after dropping the rear wheel onto the rear bumper of my truck while trying to adjust my bike carrier. Dropped it off at their shop and had it back in two weeks (Still had issues with parts availabiliy during covid). They're are always there for questions and help. Good customer service. I always get comments when out riding on how cool the bikes look. Enjoy your Sabers! FYI: They have two YouTube channels that have some information about their ebikes and regular bikes: Soul Fast EBikes:
, Soul Service Department:
. I think they also have a showroom/store in Riverside, CA.

0D78635D-9AE6-494C-914B-A2C5751D77D7.jpeg

4CFB4306-2E3D-4B65-A347-D7F5E94A6D59.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats, Jpar! You will be getting your ebikes quick. When I ordered mine it took 3 months for the first one and almost 4 months for the second one. I live about 5 miles from their Mesa store so I had them assembled there before pickup. I like my Soul Sabers very much. Definitely a different looking ebike from the majority of the others out there. No major issues. I had to have the deralleur replaced on one (my fault) after dropping the rear wheel onto the rear bumper of my truck while trying to adjust my bike carrier. Dropped it off at their shop and had it back in two weeks (Still had issues with parts availabiliy during covid). They're are always there for questions and help. Good customer service. I always get comments when out riding on how cool the bikes look. Enjoy your Sabers! FYI: They have two YouTube channels that have some information about their ebikes and regular bikes: Soul Fast EBikes:
, Soul Service Department:
. I think they also have a showroom/store in Riverside, CA.

View attachment 125461
View attachment 125462
My wife's is supposed to be here today and I just got an update on mine it should be here Thursday. Hopefully by Sunday or so I'll get time to put them together. I'm pretty excited about getting them and hoping everything goes well. I like to have some more conversations about these bikes as the internet is really lacking...
I appreciate the feedback...

Well it looks like I got that wrong or they did or I did or somebody did! Lol I open the box thinking it's going to be my wife and it's actually mine.. The UPS did a real impressive job in getting the box here but not impressed the way we want to be! The thing looked like it got drugged from California to here behind the truck... Needless to say I took a Jillian pictures and my wife made the UPS guy note the boxes damaged. All the stuff they tell you to do. But hand it to soul e-bikes that thing was packed extremely well and nothing was seriously damaged.. I say that as the front brake rotor was a little tweaked but I gave it a little tweak back and it seems fine.. wife says the guy eased it out of the back of the truck then rolled it and let it drop on its upside down...
Whatever I went ahead and put it together and everything seems fine. I am missing one screw for the front disc brake but I'll just pick one up at the hardware store tomorrow, it'll be much easier than trying to wait for one to come from Arizona...
Anyways that's what I know so far and it looks like my wife should be here on Thursday..

Pretty disappointng to see how some carriers handle people's expensive items. Glad it turned out ok. Hopefully your wife's bike will fare better.

Back