3 hr ride on on Sunday morning

Acme

Went for a 3 hour ride Sunday at 9am in the Santa Barbara Back country
Had to reroute, added 5 miles to trip up steep rough trails, we had to push the bikes as the heat rose. Ran out of water at 2pm. 3 of my crew were cramping badly. I was trying to push their bikes as well as mine until I had to give up. We sat in the shade until the sun was behind the mountain. 2 guys went for help at 2 but the trails were so bad it took the 3 hours to get 4 miles to a phone. We didn’t know if they made it to a phone so I finally biked up a trail 1000ft like a man with singular purpose to the road and found SAR who had been looking for us. Super dehydrated couldn’t stand up. SAR hiked down to the three others with water and walked them out. Still fuzzy today but the hydra got me out.

Last edited:
Holy smoke sorry to hear. Sounds like you kept your head and didnt panic. Food and H2o make a huge impact. Heats a killer. Just finished a ride this morning up in the local Mts and we were on the trail at 7am to beat the heat. Glad you guys are ok.

One can last days without food; not so without water….

In the immortal words of the Boy Scouts; BE PREPARED!!!

Glad you are not among the missing like the local lad in Pleasanton California that went for a run and has not returned….
-BB

Acme if you aren't familiar with heat exhaustion it would be worth reading up on it some and being careful. Your body will be effected into the future and you have to prevent repeat symptoms earlier in the cycle of things.

As in plan to not get nearrly as hot and nearly as dehydrated in the future.

Glad to hear it turned out. My hydration pack has been a savior. Resisted it at first. Though bike bottles would be enough, but with Temps being the way they are now would go on a remote ride without it.

Thanks for all the input. I have been taking a lot of electrolytes every day trying to replenish. My P was yellow brown for two days. I purchased a Garman inreach satellite text communicator and will definitely be better prepared with water and electrolytes next time. I always thought I knew these mountains well but it’s really difficult to overcome the heat when you are on the side of a hill exposed trying to push 70 pound bicycles up a goat trail. my nephew and I went back early Monday morning, hiked about a mile down with fresh batteries and rode the remaining two bicycles up but that might’ve been too much for me. I probably should’ve taken it easy as a result I don’t think I’m completely recovered yet, it was not something I want to experience again I did discover we have many people that will go out of their way to help us. my nephew had been searching for four hours but was on the other side of the hill and another couple had also taken also looking for us but also about 3 miles from our position. if I had read all trails.com I would have been better prepared knowing which trails were passable and which were not. Now knowing just how quick things can turn ugly I would have turned around much earlier.
if any of you are going somewhere you can’t easily get out of it things go wrong I think the best thing you can have is that small satellite text Garman in reach. You can send out a message from anywhere and help wI’ll come

This is what I ended up with and love it. My wife Has a Camelback Mule 20 pro for her Fat Tire Hub motor bike and that looks fairly awesome as well. I put water in the hydration pack, tools, essential parts (patches, tube, chain) emergency food including electrolyte, first aid kit including water proof matches. Sounds like alot but is fairly compact and comfortable. I use the bottle and cage for electrolyte mix. I rarely have to replace anything other than the water and hydradation tablets (Nuun is what I use).

We here about it frequently here in Utah, especially southern Utah. E-bikers getting lost or stuck somewhere very remote, with not much more than a dead or broken e-bike. Sometimes we forget to think about what would happen if things go wrong. I was night riding on a single track just last weekend and as I was at the very remotest of the route while marveling at the power the Hydra has. I had the thought of what if my chain broke, I would have to had stayed there until morning or spend all night until morning walking my bike out. Needless to say, I immediate ordered a chain for my kit.

I love my garmin inreach- worth every penny cost wise and the monthly fee
great emergency tool to have on you anywhere

glad you are ok

Back