2nd gen. CCS at 100 miles

Bruce Arnold

Well, 108 miles. ;)

I had some trouble with a chain link that was too tight. Took it in to the LBS and got that fixed. They fine-tuned the rear derailleur too. It now shifts so well. Being able to effortlessly get it into the right gear is a real joy. Before, it would hesitate, sometimes shift 2 gears instead of one, stuff like that. This is not a Juiced Bikes problem, I've seen it on other bikes also. Regardless, the shop only charged me $16; well worth it.

I'm still fine with riding in the 18-20 mph range. My rationale is this: being a heavy guy (me plus gear = ~300 lbs), I'm already putting a certain amount of stress on the bike, primarily the wheels. The frame itself is built plenty strong. You smaller guys, hitting the same bumps and holes in the pavement at maximum speed are putting the same stress on the system. As Trek says in their manual, "The most significant variable in durability is the manner in which you ride ... If you ride hard or aggressively, you should replace the bicycle and/or its parts more often than riders who ride smoothly or cautiously."

That being said, I haven't had any problems with the spokes. That was an issue for many riders when the CCS first came out. It seems that the move to the 13 gauge Sapim spokes has fixed that. So much of the spoke breakage was within the first 100 miles. I've had none at all. I was sort of leery about this at first, but other than occasional inspection of the wheels for proper spoke tension (which we should all be doing anyway), I'm just not worried about it.

As I get in better condition, I find that I use level 1 less and less for recreational riding. Eco does the job for me at all speeds up to 20 mph, and I rarely even use 9th gear (although it's fun to sail down hills for bursts of up to 25 mph in 9th.) For commuting, Level 2 and 3 are great so I arrive without being sweaty and out of breath.

Using combinations of the pedal assist levels and the gears is becoming more and more automatic. At first I had to think about it. Now it's getting natural. Totally awesome to move from Eco to 1 to climb a hill in the same gear, for instance, without having to give it any thought.

As I've said elsewhere in the forum, I'm not worried about the "charging to 80%" thing. I charge when it drops to around 44 volts, and take it off the charger at around 53 volts. This gets me over 50 miles, without losing any significant performance. This may not absolutely maximize the battery life, but will provide many years and thousands of miles of riding enjoyment. I'm sure I'll want one of those 52 volt batteries Tora just started selling, long before this battery bites the dust.

My wife's Pedego doesn't have the cruise control or the boost function. I'm really glad the CCS has 'em. I use them both all the time. I don't find myself using the throttle a whole lot, except for the boost. With the cruise control, I just don't need it.

Another degree of rake would suit my riding style better. I mentioned this soon after getting the bike. It's just fine the way it is, but a little more stability over nimbleness would be welcome.

I'm very happy with the Marathon Plus tires. I've read that some people feel they are too heavy or stiff or something. To me they give a comfortable ride, with the added security as well. As tech reviewer Flossy Carter says, "One a scale of one to ten, this is a major win."

I really appreciate the advanced read-out on the LCD panel. I wish the font were bigger -- which would require a bigger display unit overall -- but that may be just a function of 65-year-old eyes. The information provided is so helpful. Again, my wife's Pedego doesn't provide this level of information, which I find both interesting and helpful. The only thing I'd add would be a trip odometer. My workaround for that is that I've added the BikeComputer Pro app to my Android. It has a lot of great features. I added a "dashboard" to the top tube to carry the smartphone. It has some basic bike tools in the side pockets also. The red and black version looks great on the red CCS.

I've ordered a MirrCycle mirror and Wald folding basket panniers to make my commuting safer and more efficient.

The CCS is, for me, a perfect platform for commuting and recreation. Thank you, Tora and the rest of the team at Juiced Bikes!

The marathons are great. I had them on my OG CC and swapped them over to the CCS. Between both bikes they have over 2,000 miles on them. I've only gotten one flat and it was my fault for walking with it on a fishing pier where there were metal shards all over the place from irresponsible fishermen who leave crap around.

Bruce Arnold, I think you may have a trip odometer; at least my 2nd production CCS has that. What mine lacks, that I wish it had, is a total milage odometer!

Also, please have your bike shop tension and true the rear wheel soon. I am 175lbs and found after a few hundred miles a totally loosened spoke! It might have been factory oversight, or it might have just unscrewed the nipple, but when I then checked, all of the spokes were low on tension: have read that is a common situation with mass production.

Sapim, I have them too. But even so, it is vital to keep that rear wheel in tune. It really takes a hammering, as you said. And without a suspension seatpost and given that most of us do not rise from the saddle before every bump, means the rear wheel is hammered a great deal.

Am happy to see you happy with your CCS. Life is good to us here! You're 65? I'm thinking about Three Months From Now

Last edited:
Does Juiced have a recommendation for frequency of checking spoke tension, either by ~ mileage / hours of use/ total time etc? Also how are you guys measuring spoke tension, can't exactly put a torque wrench on it. :)

Reid, that's good advice and I fully plan to follow through. I can do a quick check myself for obvious looseness, but I want a pro to do a thorough job in the not-too-distant future.

As to the trip odometer, unless I do a manual reset (which also zeros out total watt-hours etc.), the odometer keeps adding up, ride after ride. I don't consider it a trip odometer if it can't be reset independently. If I'm missing something, please tell me!

Chris, I haven't seen any recommendations on checking the spokes specifically from Juiced. To me, that's just generic bike knowledge. Spokes that are loose can be felt with the fingers -- they will move. You can get a feel for the overall state of tune by pinging each spoke with a wrench or something -- they should all make more or less the same musical note. This only takes a couple of minutes. Most of us could learn to lace and true a wheel ourselves. Naturally, there are YouTube videos galore. To me, it's kind of like hanging dry wall: I can do it, but it would take me a whole weekend to do what a pro can do in an afternoon -- and they make it look so easy. ;)

One other thing: chain drop. The chain came off the chain ring at around 10-15 miles. I got the kink taken out of the chain soon after that. Whether they are related or not, I can't say for sure. But no chain drop since then.

One other thing: chain drop. The chain came off the chain ring at around 10-15 miles. I got the kink taken out of the chain soon after that. Whether they are related or not, I can't say for sure. But no chain drop since then.

I've had three drop chains within a hundred miles. I haven't had one in about 20 miles which is when I adjusted the barrel adjuster a little bit. If it continues to happen I'll probably remove a link or two.

Well,

That being said, I haven't had any problems with the spokes. That was an issue for many riders when the CCS first came out. It seems that the move to the 13 gauge Sapim spokes has fixed that. So much of the spoke breakage was within the first 100 miles. I've had none at all.

The CCS is, for me, a perfect platform for commuting and recreation. Thank you, Tora and the rest of the team at Juiced Bikes!

1st gen. CCS, 687 mi.: Had spoke issues around 500 mi. Replaced with 11g 234mm, took tire pressure down to 65 psi, received at 80.
Makes a world of difference in the ride if you're big, especially if you ride wet, mossy asphalt most of the time. It performs as well, if
not better than it did b4. The stock Kendas show no wear, still see the center ridge.
My LCD's started making some 'interesting' random readings which I attribute condensation from riding in the pouring rain.
Speedo's still good. Had to true the rear wheel a tad; it's +/- 1mm now.
This thing is a dream to shift, but still will occassionally toss the chain between the ring & the guard if I double shift to high.

Amazing bike! 144895-004-2BED17D7.jpg, got myself a new ski boat with the money I've saved on gas.

Hello, John Peck. And to Bruce, I see your point about the odometer. It can be reset. So I use it that way so I can see how much juice I've used per ride and my trip milage. I would like to see Juiced make it both a trip and a non-resettable total milage recorder.

We all seem to suffer chain drops. I shortened my chain some hundreds of miles ago. And since then, only one drop: the other night. I cannot figure out the cause of that drop, but drop it did,while I was shifting to a lower gear. Truly, a chain guide will be the righteous cure. I'm just not ready to spring for that quite yet.

Very much enjoying your reports, John and Bruce!

I'm finding myself more at one with this bike each day. i was a pretty hot skier 40 years ago before I got all busted up.
This bike is the next best thing to flying. The chain drops are infrequent; I've an old front derailleur I could lock in place
to use as a guide. It's only a minor annoyance when it happens....so far. I love the trigger shifts and cassette so much that
duplicated it on my gas bike. I may even ride it come dry weather. It's built more for trails & off road. I've used the CCS
on a few trails. It's done well, but not a substitute for purpose built mtn. bike.

P.S. Building a corracle like the one pictured above for something to do. (old school pack raft)

Last edited:
Hello, John Peck. And to Bruce, I see your point about the odometer. It can be reset. So I use it that way so I can see how much juice I've used per ride and my trip milage. I would like to see Juiced make it both a trip and a non-resettable total milage recorder.

We all seem to suffer chain drops. I shortened my chain some hundreds of miles ago. And since then, only one drop: the other night. I cannot figure out the cause of that drop, but drop it did,while I was shifting to a lower gear. Truly, a chain guide will be the righteous cure. I'm just not ready to spring for that quite yet.

Very much enjoying your reports, John and Bruce!

Thanks, Reid.

I might start doing that reset thing too. Maybe not every ride, maybe with every recharge. I'm gonna mull it over.

Thanks, Reid.

I might start doing that reset thing too. Maybe not every ride, maybe with every recharge. I'm gonna mull it over.

I been keeping a basic log in my records for my charging and keeping note of miles on it before being charged, then reseting the display after each charge, whether you do it to 80% or 100%. I just keep my total odometer at the bottom of the page, that way I know how many miles are on the battery/bike.

I have easily over 1000 miles on my 1st run CCS...got it in September. I just had my first chain drop last week! If it happens again ...i'll get a chain keeper.

I had two rounds of spoke breakage and just had my local shop re-lace the wheel with Juiced latest 13 g Sapim spokes. so far so good. I love this bike... i commuting 3-5 times a week to work.

I charge before I ride and after as I like to ride fast and I use more than half the battery on the way to work... and charge it so I'm close to full for the ride home.

door to door I get to work and home faster than when I'm driving... gotta love Los Angeles\Santa Monica traffic!

:)

A

I've sure ripped through some traffic lately, too, Andy! 3k miles from you, another CCS is a traffic SNAFU solution. I am going though the worst of Miami traffic and broken pavement streets, so much faster in most cases, than in a car. And relaxed while doing it, enjoying life. You too are doing it (and a lot more of it than me): great!

I been keeping a basic log in my records for my charging and keeping note of miles on it before being charged, then reseting the display after each charge, whether you do it to 80% or 100%. I just keep my total odometer at the bottom of the page, that way I know how many miles are on the battery/bike.

I've been keeping track of daily and total miles. Maybe I'll start logging battery charges, amps expended, etc. Just like keeping track of baseball stats for your favorite team.

Part of my reason for getting the CCS, along with recreation, saving on gas money, etc., is to improve my conditioning. My wife has been saying she could tell a difference for a week or so. Now I'm really noticing it too. I've had so much more energy this weekend. Chalk up another win.

Back