Known Issues & Problems with Rocky Mountain Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Rocky Mountain as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Probably the biggest gripe I read about while researching the Rocky Mountain emtb's is noise from the chain. I do now have a 2018 Altitude Powerplay Carbon 50. At first, I was put off by the noise from the drivetrain, but after about 30 minutes paid much less attention to it, and after five or six rides was a non-issue for me. With that said, I just put the new chain guide on. I know it's on the 2020 bikes, and think it might be on the 2019 as well. Like magic, the chain noise fell away to about the same as any other bike. Cheap fix at about $20. The only times it's been a bit louder is after the bike gets wet, but it's still very minor then. Since the motor on the bike is so hard to hear...not sure I've actually ever heard it at all, I would say this is now one of the, if not THE most quiet emtb's out there. What a turnaround. Awesome bike really.

Hi - new here but just got a used Instinct Powerplay 50 and am having a great time with it. Question - is the chain guide easy to replace or should I go to a dealer for repair? I noticed it being louder than I would expect on mine too.

Great, thanks! Last question - were you referring to the upper (mid-drive) idler pulley or the lower one closest to the chainstay?

Last edited:
upper located next to the motor housing cover. Here's a pic. This is the one that quieted my chain noise.

Attachments

• uEcqYls6TuqmmmjV+ZNq%Q.jpg
    uEcqYls6TuqmmmjV+ZNq%Q.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,373
To Mtbross. I am interested by their HT. After weeks of searching i am still looking for feedback.
My main question is about reliability.
How much distance have you done? Wich issue, not related to all bikes, i mean motor, battery, etc..
are you aware of? Maybe yourself or others you know of?
Shimano and Brose are on my black list and Bosch needs to prove its new offer.
I am just an outdoor guy who pedals daily(no car).
Thanks and happy trails.

Back