Purchasing a Kit from Leed

What amazing timing John... I've been working like crazy all day to publish the Pocket Bike Juice (PBJ) electric bike kit review because it's on Kickstarter and needs funding in the next seven days. Here's the full review for you... hot off the press!

My experience with Leed has been pretty good. They have real people to answer the phones when you call, are based in Utah and use quality name brand components like batteries from Samsung or Panasonic and motors from 8FUN.

All of the kits seem to use the same motor system (250 watt geared front hub motor) and they offer many different wheel sizes from 24" to 36" and 700c or 29" but if you need a super small 20" or the new 27.5" 650b you'll have to pitch in an extra $120.

The PBJ in particular is super light (battery and controller weigh ~1 pound) and the motor + wheel is about 7 pounds. My bike weighed less than 35 pounds with the kit installed! It doesn't have great power or range but it's fun, quiet and so light that even when it runs out the bike still rides well. The price is also good at under $500 depending on the accessories you pickup. I was sent a wireless Specialized computer +$49, a custom battery bag +$39, a tube and tire +$32 and some quick release levers +$19.

Court, I read your review of the Leeds kit and at $699, it makes the Copenhagen Wheel look like a pretty good deal at $800. The CW doesn't have a throttle but the Leed doesn't have pedal assist which I would rather have. No wires, 48V and only adds 12 pounds to my existing Hybrid Trek and includes the smart phone app. I originally was attracted by SuperPedestrian saying they are trying to preserve the cycling experience. I plan on using the CW (I reserved one in the second release) to commute around suburban Atlanta to my frequent tennis matches w/0 getting too tired. Then we plan on having my wife use it when we ride together on our weekend rails to trails rides to help her keep up with her shorter levers (she is 5'2" and I am 6'4")! I may even try a little mountain riding up in North Georgia that I have been afraid to try before because of the hills!

The Copenhagen wheel is easy to change out so it will be convenient in this situation and we both have 700c wheels and 7 speed rear cassettes. Kind of waiting to finally commit until I see some reviews from the first release but haven't seen anything dated recently. I have until June or so to make a final decision. Do you plan on a review soon or have you seen anything else written on line?

I did find out from SuperPedestrian that they will be available in white, black and silver in addition to the very bright red so the new ones will be a little more stealth. I will be in NE this week and hope to get to a Friday get together they have in Cambridge, MA to try out the CW at Superpedestrian HQ. If I get to ride with a Copenhagen Wheel I will definitely do a post on the experience.

I really have enjoyed the site over the past couple of months and check in most every day to read what is new and continue my learning on E-bikes. HB

Leed kits seem like a perfect fit for my riding style. I ordered the 30k set-up today! "FREEUSA" free shipping, sweetened the deal. Here's my Bike Journal page.

Finally took the leap! I have purchased the 30k 250 watt (modestly powered) FWD motor e-bike kit. I intend to switch use between the Cruzbike(Quest) and the Dahon(Cadenza). My intention is to use the set-up for faster commutes. I'm expecting that a 250 watt motor will suit my riding style, which is a steady 60-75 rpm cadence. The expectation is for 50 minute work commutes using the 250 watt motor. I think this is a realistic expectation because I will be using the motor only to supplement my normal cycling effort.

Last Fall, under perfect conditions, my fastest bikecommute "no-motor assist" speed was 16.21mph over a distance of 16.82 miles. Not too bad for a 240# 60 y/o fat guy.

Of course the goal remains to lighten up, and biking is my most significant form of my aerobic activity. Looking forward to many more miles of commuter smiles.

I hope it works out for you man! Thanks for the tip on the discount code... The Leed kits are basic but they work pretty well, I enjoyed testing the 30k and the PBJ and their mid-frame packs are great.

Harry, I agree with you that the Copenhagen Wheel looks awesome and I'm definitely working to get a review up. My plan is to drive to the East Coast to see this and other bikes in April. If you're around, maybe we can meetup! Also, if you have any suggestions for where I should go and who I should visit, please add them to my list.

Court - will only be in NE until Saturday. I was disappointed to find that the test rides are not offered until April 11. I may call to try to at least see one on this Friday when we will be in Boston. Oh Well, the lobster will still be good!! HB

I hope it works out for you man! Thanks for the tip on the discount code... The Leed kits are basic but they work pretty well, I enjoyed testing the 30k and the PBJ and their mid-frame packs are great.

Harry, I agree with you that the Copenhagen Wheel looks awesome and I'm definitely working to get a review up. My plan is to drive to the East Coast to see this and other bikes in April. If you're around, maybe we can meetup! Also, if you have any suggestions for where I should go and who I should visit, please add them to my list.
I will keep the group informed on my experience.

Hey guys, I'm still awaiting delivery of the 30k kit from Leed... I ordered and paid through PayPal right away but have felt mislead by the ad copy on their order page that says:
Availability: IN STOCK & SHIPS FEDEX WITHIN 48 HOURS
Well, after 8 days I wrote Leed and they wrote back with the following:
Dear LEED Bicycle Solutions Customer,

This is email is regarding your order number 670, placed with us on March 29. We are writing to inform you that your item will be arriving later than originally estimated at the time of your order. We have experienced an unusually large demand for the product that we had not anticipated. We are doing our utmost to ensure as little as a delay as possible to you and have been advised by our supplier that materials will arrive within the next week. Once the materials arrive your order will be shipped out right away and a tracking number will emailed to you.

Should you have any questions regarding your order, please do not hesitate to call our customer service helpline for further assistance.

Kind regards,
Mandy Wallace
Leed Bicycle Solutions
Customer Service Rep
It's difficult for me to be patient especially when the expectation was for 48 hour order processing. I'm hoping they can ship it this week!

Bummer to hear that you're having to wait a bit longer! Their email reply makes sense and seems reasonable, sometimes supply chain issues cause delay and at least they were honest about it...

It seems like they could have told you the kit was going to be late versus saying nothing and waiting until you reached out. I hope they also update the order copy on their website :(

Checking back today the note on the order reads: This order is marked as Awaiting Shipment
Should be on the way here soon...

Loving bike commuting as much as I do means devoting sixty to ninety minutes to each round trip. Commuting yearly 2000-3000 miles on bike to my job as a School bus driver, is time consuming! With turning 60, time seems to be ever quickening. The need to accomplish faster commutes without resorting to using 4 wheels and gasoline, is my incentive to utilize e-biking. As a bus driver, I am "behind the wheel" 600-800 miles a week. Cycling is my way of getting rid of anxiety and getting in some aerobic activity! The intention with e-biking is to continue more frequent work commutes, faster.

Purchasing the Leed kit will assist the "all out cadence and pedaling effort" I do on my commutes. The expectation is for a simulation equal to a "virtual draft" -equating to a faster round trip! My thoughts on bike motor size after having read several reviews, is that I could benefit from even a lowly 250 Watt, 24 volt, planetary geared hub motor. I've also given great consideration to crank motor systems, and think they are the future of e-biking -but I don't want to wait until costs and availability catch up with reality. With a Leed kit, I expect to achieve faster commute times. Perhaps, opening the possibility of regular double commutes(home for lunch). I should find out very soon how realistic of an expectation that turns out to be. As I write, the kit is "in transit", and will arrive this week.I have decided to install the kit on my Dahon Cadenza.

The e-bike wheel kit arrived today from Leed Bicycle Solutions, LLC. Inspecting the wheel for true -VG! I topped off the charge on the battery, and tested the 250 watt wheel motor on my truing stand. I can hear it run, but apparently the motor is running backwards! Perhaps the the controller is wired wrong? The suspicion that the motor is running backwards because of the whirring sound with no wheel movement would seem as if the motor is running in the same direction as the free wheel (I have video I've posted on FB).

Like spinning a crank backwards against a free wheel. This is very aggravating!! Damn shame the Leed folks didn't do basic run-off test before shipping! Glad I decided to test it before installing it on my bike.I have emailed the company and expect a quick solution to this issue. Of course, I will keep posting my progress...

Man, what a bummer John! Thanks for shooting some video, I clicked through to Facebook and watched. It does indeed sound as though the motor is activating but obviously it is not spinning. your hypothesis of having it mounted in reverse (and spinning the freewheel) makes sense but I'm only guessing...

They company was very responsive when I reached out via phone (though the founder was traveling). I hope they can respond and help you out quickly. Please keep us updated and let me know if you'd like me to reach out on your behalf.

Court, Thanks for taking a look at the Video. I appreciate your interest and help. I don't need to express the level of frustration something like this causes. I wish I had more of an understanding of electronics. The problem seems to be perplexing the Leed folks too. After contacting Leed, their initial response was bewilderment. I have forwarded a copy of the video to Mike and am awaiting further feed back. Of course the idea of shipping the whole thing back and starting over in a different direction may be my best option...

Court, Thanks for taking a look at the Video. I appreciate your interest and help. I don't need to express the level of frustration something like this causes. I wish I had more of an understanding of electronics. The problem seems to be perplexing the Leed folks too. After contacting Leed, their initial response was bewilderment. I have forwarded a copy of the video to Mike and am awaiting further feed back. Of course the idea of shipping the whole thing back and starting over in a different direction may be my best option...
I read your last direct message and it sounds like the company is responding to you and helping you get a replacement? Hopefully that works as intended, this can't be fun for them either but it's a bummer you've had to wait so long to get out on your ebike :)

Mike Merrell (owner of Leed) seems to be a very responsive to the issue. A replacement wheel is going to be sent. Assuming the first wheel slipped past QC, I look forward with great expectation to a problem free replacement.;)

A replacement wheel arrived today. I installed the wheel on the test stand, and then again on the front fork of the intended bike, plugged in the wiring, pushed the go button, the motor whirred away, but again NO WHEEL/RIM movement!!! The Leed Company says they are totally perplexed with the situation!? -Not Good!
Company Rep.Mandy Wallace, said she is willing to trouble shoot the situation over the phone. I did that last week with Mike Merrell -Company Owner, so that has been tried already. "Perhaps a different controller" Mandy suggested on the return call to Leed. "But that would only be a guess" she acknowlegded. I'm completely out of patience with trying things and waiting for the next guess. So I've got to throw in the towel on the Leed Kit idea. The Leed people have been profusely apologetic and are willing to correct the situation any way I wish.

Time to get my money back and look in a different direction. I've got 7 bikes at home already, and was hoping not to buy another bike, but...

Last edited:
Thats just beyond frustrating John. I sure hope you find an alternative solution soon

Back