Information on new Kalkhoff

britgal54

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and am looking for a step through, upright position bike, with enough power for hills. I found the Kalkhoff Impulse with an intergrated battery, but cannot find any information on it as yet. Just photos. It must not be on the market yet. Has anyone heard of it, and if so where do I find the specs on it? Does anyone know where I might find a shop to purchase one?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and am looking for a step through, upright position bike, with enough power for hills. I found the Kalkhoff Impulse with an intergrated battery, but cannot find any information on it as yet. Just photos. It must not be on the market yet. Has anyone heard of it, and if so where do I find the specs on it? Does anyone know where I might find a shop to purchase one?
“caveat emptor”

Brit ...
It seems to me that any praise one hears for Kalkhoffs comes from those peddling them; those of us (myself included until recently) who have endured the misfortune of pedalling a Kalkhoff, especially one with an Impulse motor, are less inclined to generosity.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
“caveat emptor”
Point taken. Seems like Kalkhoff do not stand by their product. Any suggestions for a Dutch style bike (upright position) with some hill power. Step through? I have ridden a Bulls crosslite with the Bosch CX motor and was impressed. Friends have bought them and have 4,000 miles so far with no problems. Also tired the Specialized Vada, but no info on that as yet.

Brit ...
It seems to me that any praise one hears for Kalkhoffs comes from those peddling them; those of us (myself included until recently) who have endured the misfortune of pedalling a Kalkhoff, especially one with an Impulse motor, are less inclined to generosity.
... David
Thanks for your input Dave. Any help at this point is most welcome. Any suggestions for an upright position, step through with a zippy motor?

Point taken. Seems like Kalkhoff do not stand by their product. Any suggestions for a Dutch style bike (upright position) with some hill power. Step through? I have ridden a Bulls crosslite with the Bosch CX motor and was impressed. Friends have bought them and have 4,000 miles so far with no problems. Also tired the Specialized Vada, but no info on that as yet.
My wife has a 2018 Gazelle Ultimate T10 Step Thru and loves it. https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-au/models/ultimate

Last edited:
Take a look at the Kalkhoff Agattu. I just took delivery. It has a Bosch Performance Line Mid-drive.

Brit ...
... David

I don't think Kalkhoff uses Impulse motors anymore. I absolutely love my Kalkhoff, not a glitch so far, motor is smooth as silk, but it has the Bosch drive train. I'd be worried if I was getting one with Impulse.

Take a look at the Kalkhoff Agattu. I just took delivery. It has a Bosch Performance Line Mid-drive.

I have an Agattu B7, but with the 25% larger battery that's found on the B8. I love it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. For me, the high torque of the mid-drive suits my needs because I have some nasty hills, and a hub drive would not handle them as well I suspect.

I’ve had a Kalkhoff Include for two years now. This uses an Impulse Evo motor and I’ve had no problems. Typical ride for me would be about 40 miles. Subjectivity I feel the firmware controlling the motor favours long range over pedal assistance. On “Power” I can get over 80 miles even when hills are encountered.
So far I’m very pleased with my purchase.

I’ve had a Kalkhoff Include for two years now. This uses an Impulse Evo motor and I’ve had no problems. Typical ride for me would be about 40 miles. Subjectivity I feel the firmware controlling the motor favours long range over pedal assistance. On “Power” I can get over 80 miles even when hills are encountered.
So far I’m very pleased with my purchase.

Whoa, 80 miles on a charge with hills? That is very impressive. Please share strategies for how you manage that with hills involved. I can generally surpass 50 miles on a charge and probably could manage 60 if I wanted to sweat more, and I have a half-mile long, pretty steep hill that I have to climb to get home on every ride.

Last edited:
I start with an advantage; I only weight 143lbs. Hills are relative, around here in Berkshire and going into the Chilterns, hills are 300-400 foot high. When I ride in Devon, the hills are steeper and the range is reduced considerably.

I have test ridden (several years ago) a several bikes with Impulse motors and was not at all impressed with the assist. One was a Kalkhoff that looked similar to the one in the photo above - rim brakes, battery behind seat tube. The other was a Focus class 3. These 2 bikes put me off 'off the shelf' mid-drive bikes. But then I rode Bosch equipped bikes and the difference was night and day. It's amazing how they get such a snappy feeling out of 250 or 350 watts. I have not spent lots of time on Shimano Steps or Brose equipped bikes (but I've ridden them), but thus far, my experience is besides the noise, Bosche gives me the preferred feel. As for the old Kalkhoff with Impulse - not enough assist and too big and clunky.

Don’t buy a kalkhoff with an impulse motor you’ll be sadly disappointed as I was, I’ll never buy Kalkhoff again, go for Bafang much better

Back