The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

bowzette

I am looking for e-assist for a recumbent trike-a Catrike Dumont. I am only interested in a system that has a good responsive torque sensor. On paper the Falco looks really good and has all the features I want. I've read the Falco site a lot and reviewed a number of videos. It seems rather complex to initially set up the system. For that matter just downloading and installing the software on a PC seems rather involved for a non-techie like me! On the other hand this provides a lot of flexibility once you learn how to do so and really get the torque sensor dialed in. I would really to to hear who is pleased with the Falco system and who is not. Good points and problems/issues. Has Falco been responsive and helpful to resolve problems. Anyone not able to get the system operating properly?

@bowzette i have posted my experience in this very forum. In my opinion, the Falco system is the benchmark. It is by far the best engineered system you can buy to convert an existing bike. I have been riding the heck out of it for a month now. Read my review. I am thrilled beyond my capability to express! Rakesh is the most reachable and helpful resource you can imagine.

BTW it is not difficult to set up. I would be more than happy to help you should you desire. I do not use the Windows software. Just the iPhone app

BTW it is not difficult to set up. I would be more than happy to help you should you desire. I do not use the Windows software. Just the iPhone app

Harry your response is very heartening. The Falco offers all the features I want regarding an e-motor on my Catrike. If I get one I will take you up on your offer if I need help. I have a call into Falco to discuss questions I have. I have been pouring over the web site and reviewing videos. Some are confusing because I think they may be out of date with subsequent software mods such as the TS calibration which I find a bit confusing. One video states there is no longer a "throttle calibration" which would provide the second number to determine the " drop out off set" if my understanding is correct. My Catrike has verticle drop outs so maybe the number is "0", or maybe I need to look at the raw value , sit on the trike and see if the raw value remains the same, goes up or down. If it goes up maybe the drop out off set should be changed to "1". But I have a list of questions for Mr. R or whomever returns my calls.
Thanks
Mike

Mike,
No worries. It is cake to set up. If you buy the Falco. I'd recommend the simplicity 7.9. No need for the software or dongle. Just the Android or Apple app. I will tell you to expect 4-6 weeks for delivery. Myself and cyclecherry have received ours in 5 weeks. So worth the wait! You will love it!!! Once installed and you get green lights on the wireless module and the AIO +/- we'll connect via phone. Send me an email [email protected]. I'll share my experiences with the system

Mike,
No worries. It is cake to set up. If you buy the Falco. I'd recommend the simplicity 7.9. No need for the software or dongle. Just the Android or Apple app. I will tell you to expect 4-6 weeks for delivery. Myself and cyclecherry have received ours in 5 weeks. So worth the wait! You will love it!!! Once installed and you get green lights on the wireless module and the AIO +/- we'll connect via phone. Send me an email [email protected]. I'll share my experiences with the system

Great Harry. I am recovering from big time back surgery I had about five weeks ago-fused four levels L2-S1. Right now I can't bend, twist or lift more than 5lbs. But I feel good. Beginning of October I start PT and can ride a road bike I have set up on a Wahoo Kickr. When I have the ability to get in and out of a trike and lift enough weight to install the wheel I will order it. Actually I will order it about a month prior to when I think I can deal with it. I think by then the doc will let me ride the trike on the road. I don't think I will be able to ride a road bike on the road until about 6 months after surgery. I can't ride a bike until I can afford to fall off :) BTW I don't see a Simplicity 7.9. Oh I get it-the f7.9 with display and +/- control can be bought as an e7.9 without display and +/-control and save $300.
See the +/-control comes with the Simplicity package.

Last edited:
Mike,

Harry Simplicity 7.7 is the same as the 7.9 but a dolphin style pack. Rakesh said this pack will allow recharging of the cell phone while riding. The 7.9 doesn't. Rakesh answered my questions. The good news is the various videos I've seen regarding the need to calibrate the sensor and the throttle are no longer applicable since 2018. It is pretty much plug and play or ride. You can adjust parameters as needed such as torque multiplier turn on times and delays if needed. I'm guessing the torque multiplier is the main one. I'll need more motor help when I start riding again and reduce it as I get more fit. Great feature. Should be a lot easier than some of the convoluted videos I've seen.

Bowzette, I want to reinforce what Harry has said. I am Lower than Low tech. Harry is true to his word and extremely helpful! Thank you Harry.
I find a lot of the material confusing because there are so many options and the instructions don’t seem to separate each option out separately before instructing.
I decided to go wired instead of wireless so that my console would be charged by the battery, and was confused enough by the diagram that did not show the wireless module in the line, that it took hours and an email conversation with Rakesh to know that I had to have the wireless module attached to control the motor parameters. Once that was done and I had the correct app loaded, it has all become easy.
I have just posted questions on the forum here about setup to help me understand all the way you can customize the system. The customization is an amazing feature!
I have only taken a few rides so far and I am blown away by how wonderful it is. Extremely quiet & powerful. It makes me so excited to ride with no dread of monster hills in my way!

Back