Current replacement battery option for a 2015 Dash.

_Andre_

Hello ebike community.

I recently bought a used 2015 Izip E3 Dash for what I thought was a decent price. It worked great and between my two bikes, have basically replaced my car. My commute to work is 4 miles each way.

Up until about a month ago, the battery would fully charge to 5 bars. Riding the bike worked very well with plenty of juice left on the battery but it would lose charge quite fast when sitting. It would completely discharged from full in about 3 days without using the bike. I started to notice the battery would feel warm to the touch until it was down to 2 bars. It has finally stopped taking any charge at all.

I would like to know what my current options are? After combing the forum for this info, I read all about the Luna Shark replacements. It seems they are out of stock on the carbon shark and other 48v battery packs? My only option through them seems to be the Dolphin. I believe it has a bulker profile.

I'm currently not a fan of an OEM replacement at over $600 for such low Ah's.
There’s the EMP option of a re-cell for $520 before shipping. That seems high to me considering it’s only 10Ah.

Ebay, Amazon, made-in-china.com, and Aliexpress all seem to have 48v options with a minimum of 10Ah.

I'd like to hear your opinions as well as suggestions.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Thank you fast. I zip still charges like $50 for hazardous material shipping. $600 for an old 8.7Ah just doesn’t appeal to me at the moment.

People have been successful with the Luna shark replacements. Unfortunately, they seem to have stopped providing a lot of their sleeker 48v packs. There are a bunch of packs on line from other website that have what looks to be the same style with better performance from $300-$400 all in. More amp hours, sleeker design, even lighter then the OEM in most cases. I’m fairly new to ebike so, maybe I’m missing something? Why have most swaps that I’ve read about on the forum been Luna sharks? Are they not all made in China anyways?

Last edited:
Luna seems to always be out of battery packs. They can't make them fast enough. Basically you have to watch the page every day and make an order as soon as whatever you want becomes available. Took me 6 weeks to get mine.

Also for what it's worth, the 52v batteries work great with the iZip too. Gives you 10% more power...

Thank you Trevor Hayes. I’ve read that you shouldn’t give your bike a higher voltage then what it’s rated for. Although the motors can handle it, sometimes the controller can not. Have you been running your 48v Izip with a 52v battery? What year is your bike and what battery from Luna did you go with. Thanks.

That's kind of true but don't take it too literally. 48v is just kind of an "average" voltage and a fully charged "48v" battery will often be around 56v. Since I only charge my 52v battery to 54v (80% charge to extend life) I'm not even going outside of the normal 48v range. I did run it at 100% several times at the start per the "break in" recommendations though and it worked fine. I believe 48v and 52v components should generally work interchangeably for the most part since they'd pretty much need to cover the same range of voltages.

I've been using the 52v battery for 143 charges so far without any issues. I have a 2014 E3 Dash and I purchased the 52v Panasonic 17.5ah Jumbo Shark Pack. I wanted the larger capacity because my commute is 20 miles and using PAS4 I could only make it 10 miles on the Currie battery packs after I'd had them a while and they'd lost some capacity.

Also I'm not the first person to do this; I did it because other people had reported success.

I have a related question. The Protour comes with 48/8.7 and can be repacked as 48/10.5 or 36/21 for $520 (probably same vendor for OP). Do you think the extra Wh of the 21Ah version is worth the lower voltage? Would I be sacrificing power for range?

I’m still trying to find options. Luna Cycle has stoped carrying the shark carbon. They only have the regular shark with the long range option at the moment. I found a used bike on line with a 48v 14ah battery that I thought about buying in order to get my Dash back on the road. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Hi-C Battery? They sell both direct replacements and rebuilds.
The Hi-C’s battery packs seem to be on the higher price side comparatively. I have not checked with them as far as their rebuilds are concerned. I know EMP will re-cell the OEM case adding a few more ah’s (10ah vs the original 8.7ah) but, for $520 before shipping and tax it doesn’t seem worth it to me. Maybe I’ll give Hi-C a call tomorrow but, unless they are substantially lower in cost I think a new “generic” pack is going to be the way to go.

Last edited:
Yes, he is a reputed manufacturer of battery packs.

An old article about this vendor on E-bike School website.

Check out the reviews on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/em3evelectricbike/posts/
Ravi, so far they look like the best option for me. Thanks for the recommendation. Do their batteries come with the sled/cradle to mount on the down tube? I assume they do since it looks like they come with keys. It shows it on their Shark option but not on the rest. They don’t have a 48v shark? I’m just trying to get a couple more years out of my Dash. I'm looking for the best possible price but also a reputable company.

Last edited:
Hello ebike community.

I recently bought a used 2015 Izip E3 Dash for what I thought was a decent price. It worked great and between my two bikes, have basically replaced my car. My commute to work is 4 miles each way.

Up until about a month ago, the battery would fully charge to 5 bars. Riding the bike worked very well with plenty of juice left on the battery but it would lose charge quite fast when sitting. It would completely discharged from full in about 3 days without using the bike. I started to notice the battery would feel warm to the touch until it was down to 2 bars. It has finally stopped taking any charge at all.

I would like to know what my current options are? After combing the forum for this info, I read all about the Luna Shark replacements. It seems they are out of stock on the carbon shark and other 48v battery packs? My only option through them seems to be the Dolphin. I believe it has a bulker profile.

I'm currently not a fan of an OEM replacement at over $600 for such low Ah's.
There’s the PRE option of a re-cell for $520 before shipping. That seems high to me considering it’s only 10Ah.

Ebay, Amazon, made-in-china.com, and Aliexpress all seem to have 48v options with a minimum of 10Ah.

I'd like to hear your opinions as well as suggestions.

Thank you for your time.

Try EMP battery refill. You send your old battery plus charger and they'll refill it for only $520.
IMG_20170713_152516_large_aafea7e9-f90b-4457-9655-e83665233268_x700.jpg

They can also upgrade it using the newest cells and increase the Ah from 8.7 to 14 Ah ( from 418 Wh to 672 Wh).
https://ebikemarketplace.com/products/currie-i-zip-e-bike-battery-replacement

Ravi, so far they look like the best option for me. Thanks for the recommendation. Do their batteries come with the sled/cradle to mount on the down tube? I assume they do since it looks like they come with keys. It shows it on their Shark option but not on the rest. They don’t have a 48v shark? I’m just trying to get a couple more years out of my Dash. I'm looking for the best possible price but also a reputable company.

You could reach out via Facebook or their website: https://www.facebook.com/pg/em3evelectricbike/posts/
I have heard that 52V pack works well on a 48V controller [not sure] but I have read reports.

I think their preditor pack is 48V but their cradle has reinforcements compared to Hailong packs you find everywhere.

For me there are 3 things to consider when buying a battery.

First is the source. It has to be a reputable source, or at least sold in the same country where you can go back to the seller if something goes wrong or if you got a defective product.

If you can inquire what cells are used, the better, as opposed to getting off brand generic cells with inconsistent performance.

Third is the price. This can be confusing since price can vary widely, as well as the battery capacity. How do you know which one has the better value?

Always check the price against the capacity. So a 500 wh Bosch battery that sells at $749 amounts to about $1.50 per wh. That's a pretty expensive battery but Bosch battery is also known for it's reliability that can last 5,000 charges. It has sophisticated battery management system (BMS) that assures long life.

Price range can vary from a low 56 cents per wh (EM3EV) to as high as $2.13 per wh (Stromer 938 wh battery).

If there are offers lower than those then look away, otherwise, proceed with caution, at you own risk.

Last edited:
Try EMP battery refill. You send your old battery plus charger and they'll refill it for only $520.
IMG_20170713_152516_large_aafea7e9-f90b-4457-9655-e83665233268_x700.jpg

They can also upgrade it using the newest cells and increase the Ah from 8.7 to 14 Ah ( from 418 Wh to 672 Wh).
https://ebikemarketplace.com/products/currie-i-zip-e-bike-battery-replacement

Thanks for your resposce Mark.

I gave EMP a call and they can only do a 10ah upgrade not a 14ah. I’ve seen this information floating around for quite some time so, I figured I'd clear that up.

As far as what you look for, those are all good points.

That was last year when I talked to one of the EMP personnels. I did not go for it since I already had 3 relatively new batteries (original 8.7 ah batteries) .

I'm coming in several months after this thread started as I just joined. My 2016 IZip E3 Dash I just want an EXTRA battery for longer rides which I do frequently on Rails to Trails rides. I saw where some of you went with models other than the Currie battery which is what I have (48V 417WH) that came with the bike . I bought mine new last year in August when they were trying to get rid 2016 models. Did the other models you purchased fit in the brackets or did you just have to remove the IZip brackets, unhook connectors and replace with the differetn brand models? If so anything you can share on that before I choose a 2nd battery is appreciated.

I realize I can buy one with an exact fit from IZip but I do like what some of you have mentioned about better output with other model batteries. Thanks for any help!

Back