Lock Options for Nitro?

Frankipop

I am considering purchasing an E3 Nitro, but am concerned about locking the bike. It seems you wouldn't be able to use a ulock around the seatpost, which is how I usually lock my (non-electric) bike. Would like to hear from folks who own the Nitro and what kind of locking options they're using.

lock the frame lower cross bar front wheel and take the battery and seat with you is the only way to make sure they dont' steal your battery or the bike and front wheel.
Rear wheel is a bit harder to take off but you could lock that as well to the frame with a 2nd lock to the frame I would imagine.

The Sheldon Brown locking method puts the Ulock through the back wheel only, and inside the rear of the frame - the only way (aside from destroying the lock) is to cut out the rear wheel, and at the point of the wheel where the lock is - if someone wants to do that to get to your bike, well, they are crazy - can't pedal and destroyed the rear wheel where the motor is, meaning you just have to put out a notice to shops for someone wanting to replace a wheel with a motor in it!

On the battery, seems like taking it with you (along with seatpost) are the best options too, agreed there.

You can google the sheldon brown locking method, it is fairly widely accepted as one of the best options (through tire and frame of course would be ideal).

I got this for the main lock:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VMO49U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

A number of people here recommended this lock, including Lenny, and I like the fact that for one of the top notch security locks, it is a little lighter than the U-locks. It also folds up nicely, to make good use of space.

For a second lock, I'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Steel-O-...TF8&qid=1436478222&sr=8-12&keywords=abus+lock

Similar to this are the "Hip Locks", which can wrap around your waist like a belt; however, those are more expensive for a second lock. One thing I like about these kinds of locks are that in a worse case scenario, they seem like they'd make a good self-defense weapon (most self-defense weapons are illegal).

@Operator7, are you able to loop the Abus lock around both the seat post and rear wheel when locking the bike to a bike rack or post?

I will let you know on Monday, when I receive it! :p ;)

That is definitely the plan though. I want to have one lock that will do the main frame and rear wheel/motor, and another lock for front wheel and frame.

At least us eflow riders don't have to lock our seats! And the removable display which acts as additional anti-theft deterrent is nice!

I could be wrong, but I heard this was an old video, and it was done on the lightest version of the TiGr. What I don't like about this bike is wrapping it along the top tube. I think that will take away from the looks of our bikes, and seems like they would also scratch the paint. Very nice light weight, but nowhere to carry it.

Considering the cost of the bike and how easy it is to remove parts from the bike, I would not let it out of my site.

Jeez. Now I'm having second thoughts. I'd be stressed out every time I locked up the bike. And carrying the seat with me seems kinda ridiculous. I think I'll stick with my regular bike. Who needs an electric bike anyway?

Jeez. Now I'm having second thoughts. I'd be stressed out every time I locked up the bike. And carrying the seat with me seems kinda ridiculous. I think I'll stick with my regular bike. Who needs an electric bike anyway?

If it worries you that much you can get dedicated bike insurance from a company like velo insurance for around ten bucks a month and a hundred dollar deductible. I plan on locking mine up at the bus station(rural area) for commuting so I will be picking up some insurance myself. It depends on your needs.

Really the same goes for any high end bike(not just electric). People rip off derailers, shifters, brakes, ect... because on high end bikes (not just electric) parts are very expensive.
For a bike I leave locked up, I use one of my CHEAP bikes(sub $400).
You can spend hundreds on just one of these items.
Here is an example...
"http://www.performancebike.com"

I need an electric bike.

Back