2016 iZip E3 Dash - Motor cutting out unexpectedly

texasyankee

I just picked up a brand new (had been sitting on the dealer's rack) 2016 iZip E3 Dash. Love the bike overall, but it has an annoying issue and I'm not sure if it's a faulty motor or a design flaw.

When riding along with assist at level 4 there are times where I can feel the motor just cut out for a second then comes back. The result is a slight "lurch" forward. It's the same feeling you get when hitting 28 mph, but it's happening in the teens and low 20's. It seems to happen a lot when the grade changes slightly down (like 1%), or when I'm pedaling at the top of a gear (e.g. I should shift up, but haven't yet). Nothing abnormal is shown on the display.

My first thought is that it's the cadence sensor, but the issue happens even when I'm careful to not change my pedal speed. Torque sensor would be a good candidate, but I don't believe this bike has one.

I'm planning to call iZip this week, but wondering if anyone else had seen this issue?

I believe our 2016 iZip Vibe+ has the same Trans-X motor. Although it didn't cut out intermittently, it just died after about 200 miles. The motor and display were replaced under warranty, and it has been fine since then. This happened in the fall of 2016. At the time, I had gotten the feeling that there was a problem with many of those motors.

Back