To any future reader - the issue above turned out to be two fold.

1. REI re-sized the chain 8 links too large, so it was bouncing around. 8 links were removed.
2. Even after the chain re-size, the noise persisted. The tech suggested that the front-crank was simply worn (mushroomed). We swapped it out for a new one (@ $115 gulp..) which solved the issue 100%. Smooth and quiet now.

I have 2017 model with yamaha engine. The issue that I have is with chains. They seems to be eaten like bread. I have used KMC e10 EPT and KMC e10 silver chains, but they seems to last something from 800km to 2000km. Also when wear indicator shows 0,75% wear level, you can't put a new chain on before also replacing 3-4 smallest cogs on the rear casette. I drive 98% on asphalt. Wet or dry. and do weekly cleaning on the chain. If I have driven in water, I add a bit lubricant on the chain after that. Clearly I'm doing something wrong here. How have you got the chain to last?

I have 2017 model with yamaha engine. The issue that I have is with chains. They seems to be eaten like bread. I have used KMC e10 EPT and KMC e10 silver chains, but they seems to last something from 800km to 2000km. Also when wear indicator shows 0,75% wear level, you can't put a new chain on before also replacing 3-4 smallest cogs on the rear casette. I drive 98% on asphalt. Wet or dry. and do weekly cleaning on the chain. If I have driven in water, I add a bit lubricant on the chain after that. Clearly I'm doing something wrong here. How have you got the chain to last?
which lube are you using ?

Also can you tell us which assist level you are using and are you cross chaining a lot (using the gears of which chain runs skewed)?

5000 trouble free miles. Trecking RC Yahama. Original tires, one puncture, three sets of brake pads, new seat post (body float), new bars (Jones H Bar), new grips (Ergon), rear lamp wiring repair, foam under battery to silence rattle, three shims from sardine can on motor mount bolts to stop movement of motor in frame and silence knocking noise, two batteries in controller, and that's it. Battery still good for 55 miles even though its only 400 W/Hr. Couldn't be happier. Onward!

Attachments

• IMG_5469.JPG
    IMG_5469.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_5470.JPG
    IMG_5470.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_5471.JPG
    IMG_5471.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_5465 2.JPG
    IMG_5465 2.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 427
Does anyone have the 2018 SDURO Trekking 9.0? Are the problems the same as mentioned above with older versions?
I have one. Great bike. But when I received it from an online discount seller in Wisconsin the motor had a very noticeable click with each crank rotation. Brought it to a local Trek dealer, which uses the same Bosch system, who charged me $260 and did not fix it. Brought it to a new local Haibike dealer who immediately recognized the issue, tightened the motor mount bolts, and charged me $15. Quiet ever since. Other than that, it's been great!

I have one. Great bike. But when I received it from an online discount seller in Wisconsin the motor had a very noticeable click with each crank rotation. Brought it to a local Trek dealer, which uses the same Bosch system, who charged me $260 and did not fix it. Brought it to a new local Haibike dealer who immediately recognized the issue, tightened the motor mount bolts, and charged me $15. Quiet ever since. Other than that, it's been great!

$260 and they didn't fix it, wow what did they charge you for ?

$260 and they didn't fix it, wow what did they charge you for ?
It was slightly reduced for about an hour, and then back to the same. After a Haibike dealer tightened the bolts it has not made a peep in 700 miles since. The bolts the Haibike dealer tightened are not the ones on the bottom of the bottom bracket. These were elsewhere and not exposed without removing something, not sure what. I had made sure the exposed bolts were all tight in trying to fix it myself.

Back