2020 Rize RX Range test - hill climbing at Bear Lake UT

Brighamdoc

This is a video of a 20 mile bike ride I did today.
Took the battery down to about 33% with a final RX computed 17 mile range
Given my experience with the bike I think I could’ve gone another 10ish miles
I stated 2K climb but looking at my watch a little less than 1,700 feet (520 m) elevation gain
I was guessing in the elevation gain

Last edited:
That's pretty good range for 2K elevation gain in PAS 5. You should see better range after a few cycles as the cells balance. One thing I would suggest is monitoring voltage instead of battery %. I found the battery % indicator is somewhat woky, especially if you've been riding under load. My % would drop fairly low, then recover, and I couldn't make a lot of sense of it. Now that I monitor resting voltage I feel like a have a better handle on things. I use a simple rule of thumb for 48V battery - every 4 volts of drop is roughly 25% battery. Full charge would be 55 volts (although per this thread it's not good for long term battery health to keep it fully charged for very long). Once you drop to 51 volts you are at 75%, 47 volts is 50%, 43 volts is 25%, and 0% cutoff would be around 39 volts.

That's pretty good range for 2K elevation gain in PAS 5. You should see better range after a few cycles as the cells balance. One thing I would suggest is monitoring voltage instead of battery %. I found the battery % indicator is somewhat woky, especially if you've been riding under load. My % would drop fairly low, then recover, and I couldn't make a lot of sense of it. Now that I monitor resting voltage I feel like a have a better handle on things. I use a simple rule of thumb for 48V battery - every 4 volts of drop is roughly 25% battery. Full charge would be 55 volts (although per this thread it's not good for long term battery health to keep it fully charged for very long). Once you drop to 51 volts you are at 75%, 47 volts is 50%, 43 volts is 25%, and 0% cutoff would be around 39 volts.

I also see that the % is off. The % level will drop, then after not riding for 15-20 minutes, it will recover 5-8%, but then it drops even even faster on the next ride. Currently, I show 28% battery but the voltage is 47.3 which is a large discrepancy.

You can see the same thing when charging...stop charging and see a 5% drop.
When you are using power for a while, the % doesn't drop until you get off the power. Then it shows the drop and then it comes back up a bit when resting.

I also do some things that I don't know whether they help or not, but I do them. I charge for a while, then let the battery cool down, then charge for another while. Especially if I'm going to fully charge for a long trip, I let the battery cool down a couple of times after it hits 90%.

This is a video of a 20 mile bike ride I did today.
Took the battery down to about 33% with a final RX computed 17 mile range
Given my experience with the bike I think I could’ve gone another 10ish miles
I stated 2K climb but looking at my watch a little less than 1,700 feet (520 m) elevation gain
I was guessing in the video

My battery loses 4% on just a little hill as I start my rides. Uphill is murder on it so I use low PAS and pedal as hard as I can. It's less than 200 yards.

Back