2020 28mph e road bikes: Specialized Creo vs 2020 BH Core race 1.6 vs Trek Domane + HP vs Bulls Desert Eagle ?

@Flnx - Sounds like we are pretty similar. I'm also a pretty big guy and would be getting a 60 for the Trek HP vs. an XL for the Creo. I preferred the look, philosophy and feel of the Creo but the real-world practicality of the HP is hard to deny.

I can't charge the bike in my company's bike lockers so a removable battery is a big plus. My commute is 20 miles each way and with the Creo I would have to get the range extender, set it to drain that first, dip into no more than 50% of the main battery and recharge just the extender at the office. This would give me roughly 320wh for each leg of my commute which may not be enough for anything but the lower power settings. For the HP I'd have a full 500wh in each direction which could handle almost the entire distance in turbo for those days I want the extra assistance.

The integrated lights are also a huge draw. Lights are a safety issue especially when commuting and are not optional. I already charge my phone, watch and soon a bike. I'd hate to also add a front and back light to that routine. Pricing is identical after adding the range-extender to the Creo. Both would be 7k.

Real-world weight difference is not as much as you would think based on the reviews. The turbo creo comp carbon evo is 31.6 lbs + 2 lbs for the range extender. So 33.6 lbs vs. 37.7 lbs. = 5 lbs or 15% heavier. A pretty noticeable difference in terms of carrying the bike on the train but meaningless when riding (less than 2% of total weight).

I rode a normal Domane to check sizing and all of these e-bikes are still heavy as lead compared to any decent $4k road bike.

Lastly, a probably most importantly, my local Trek dealer is three blocks from my house with the nearest specialized dealer around three miles away.

The wheel hub spacing on the Creo is not proprietary. Boost hubs are quite common these days, even on Trek bikes.

Although many of the big brands went through a period of making some proprietary parts for the bikes, in general it seems they have gotten over it and stopped for the most part trying to re-invent the wheel (no pun intended). And I would not call a motor and battery that has been developed and tested for 4 years 'unproven'.

I would agree the Trek Domane HP7 is probably the better choice for your commuting and battery charging needs, and a very nice bike indeed. I do hope you have a solid place to store the bike at work, as even without a battery in it, it is still a very valuable bike to leave unattended.

Last edited:
Back