2019 Turbo Vado 4 - Broken Frame (Resolved)

bellandbottle

Region
United Kingdom
Just had a rather upsetting morning - after a few miles I noticed that the motor bolts seemed to be loose, so turned back.

I was not too concerned, as it happened last year, and my LBS just tightened them up.

Took it in again, and went for a coffee whilst the folks did the same again, but had a phone call - please call in and have a discussion.

The frame is broken - I could not believe it really, especially as I don't do anything which might cause this kind of problem.

Having produced proof of purchase, now I wait for the LBS and Specialized to decide what to do.

I was given an SL to try out to give an option to Specialized, but I prefer the straight Vado.

If I get a straight replacement, it will be a 10 speed rather than 11 speed, so several components I put on the bike will need to be changed. I also changed the chainring to 44T (as opposed to 40T) because that suits the terrain I ride on.

What a pain :(.

One of the guys in our seniors' riding group also had the frame on his Vado 4 crack. Because the wait time for a new frame was something like 6 months the shop offered to try welding it, with Specialized's okay.
So far, after 3 or 4 months, he hasn't had a problem with the welded frame.

One of the guys in our seniors' riding group also had the frame on his Vado 4 crack. Because the wait time for a new frame was something like 6 months the shop offered to try welding it, with Specialized's okay.
So far, after 3 or 4 months, he hasn't had a problem with the welded frame.
It will be quite intesting to see how Specialized play this - a new frame, if it is available, would suit me.

I notice that the 2021 Vado 4 seems a little bit lacking in terms of components, but the 2022 model looks better.

Fingers crossed anyway :)

Just had a rather upsetting morning - after a few miles I noticed that the motor bolts seemed to be loose, so turned back.

I was not too concerned, as it happened last year, and my LBS just tightened them up.

Took it in again, and went for a coffee whilst the folks did the same again, but had a phone call - please call in and have a discussion.

The frame is broken - I could not believe it really, especially as I don't do anything which might cause this kind of problem.

Having produced proof of purchase, now I wait for the LBS and Specialized to decide what to do.

I was given an SL to try out to give an option to Specialized, but I prefer the straight Vado.

If I get a straight replacement, it will be a 10 speed rather than 11 speed, so several components I put on the bike will need to be changed. I also changed the chainring to 44T (as opposed to 40T) because that suits the terrain I ride on.

What a pain :(.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get back in the saddle in as brief a period as possible.

It will be quite intesting to see how Specialized play this - a new frame, if it is available, would suit me.

I notice that the 2021 Vado 4 seems a little bit lacking in terms of components, but the 2022 model looks better.

Fingers crossed anyway :)
Pretty sure they’re only making the 2022’s now anyway. Probably a decent chance for that.

Just to close off this thread, Specialized offered to give me a new bike - March or later next year, and suggested that perhaps the frame could be welded in the meantime.

The LBS were not really happy with that plan, especially as welding aluminium is a bit of an art.

They offered me a 2021 model and, because the 2019 had higher spec components, suggested that everything on the old bike be moved to the new one.

That suited me fine as I had a new derailleur, with suspension seat post, twist grip gear change, puncture resistant tyres and a 44T chainring.

I am now up and running and very pleased - now blue rather than vibrant red :).

The LBS told me that the frame of the 2021 model has been strengthened to stop the same thing happening again.

Just to close off this thread, Specialized offered to give me a new bike - March or later next year, and suggested that perhaps the frame could be welded in the meantime.

The LBS were not really happy with that plan, especially as welding aluminium is a bit of an art.

They offered me a 2021 model and, because the 2019 had higher spec components, suggested that everything on the old bike be moved to the new one.

That suited me fine as I had a new derailleur, with suspension seat post, twist grip gear change, puncture resistant tyres and a 44T chainring.

The LBS told me that the frame of the 2021 model has been strengthened to stop the same thing happening again.
I am glad they took care of you. I also have a 2019 Vado, but mine is a 3.0 and I bought it brand new in April of this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have the same problem, but I know it is not uncommon. I specifically hunted down a new 2019 Vado 3.0 because of the better components than found on the later Vado 3.0. If I should find myself in your position I would also prefer to keep my 2019 rather than get a new one with lower power and lesser quality components. 🤞 🤞 🤞

WOW that turned out good for you...Congratulations.
Now i'm wishing my Vado would crack a frame. I'd stay with red though...it's faster :p

Back