2019 Magnum Premium High-Step with 16Ah battery

DIY-Guy

I chose the Magnum Premium over a selection of mostly 4”-fat tire bikes for several reasons. I wanted a folding bike with a riding position similar to that of my road bike; a high capacity battery to maximize range; a suspension system and a rear rack. Some unusual features of the Magnum Premium were particularly attractive: the Mag wheels; the fold up seat (battery removal does not require moving the seat post); a sealed, twelve magnet cadence sensor; and a class 3 rating.

After several weeks of riding the Magnum, some other features I've grown to appreciate are that PAS selections cycle over (0 is one press up from 6); that the twist shifter makes it easy to “roll” thru the gears (one way going up hill and the other way as you level off); that the bike including the rack is very well made, rigid and stable on the road; and that the second trip odometer lets you easily keep track of miles per charge.

A few features are compromises such as a very narrow mechanical gear range (14-28T); AAA battery powered head and tail lights; lack of mounts for a front rack or a bottle holder; the plastic folding pedals that fold too easily; and the forward mounted kick-stand that gets in the way of pedal rotation.

My Magnum is about five pounds heavier than advertised-- a disappointment since one of the reasons I initially selected this bike with 2” tires was that it was considerably lighter than its fat-tire competitors. Still, that was a good choice since the tires used are very road worth and give the bike a smooth, secure ride.

Operationally, there are some very nice features and a few compromises. The display, cadence sensor and controller work very well together. The display is clear and easy to read, but doesn't give the ride details I've grown used to with modern bike computers. The position and operation of the brake levers, throttle, gear shift and controller switches are all comfortable. The throttle works at PAS=0, engages smoothly and accelerates easily to a bit over the nominal 20 mph limit.

The three power modes (POWER, NORMAL and ECO) don't seem to be very different, but the six PAS selections give you a wide range of choices. Maximum steady speed with my weight on the flat is 25 mph and the bike feels stable and in control at speed. Not surprisingly, the PAS setting controls both the top speed and the range. For example, on a very hilly route with several steep, long climbs, the range has varied from 25 miles (POWER mode, PAS =6) to 35 miles (ECO mode, PAS =3) with average speeds of 21 mph and 16 mph respectively.

After several weeks and 300 miles I'm very pleased with the Magnum Premium. It has good power and acceptable range considering my riding style (steady moderate cadence, high point-to-point speeds), size (6' plus, 220 plus) and the hilly rural terrain of my rides.

My Magnum is about five pounds heavier than advertised-- a disappointment since one of the reasons I initially selected this bike with 2” tires was that it was considerably lighter than its fat-tire competitors. Still, that was a good choice since the tires used are very road worth and give the bike a smooth, secure ride.

Thanks for confirming the weight. I think Magnum might have hit cut n paste from the Classic specs (or perhaps left up old specs from the previous generation) because they also say the Premium II comes with Shimano Tourny gearing while the EBR specs says it’s the higher quality Shimano Acera and show a weight more in-line with what you experienced. Seems odd that Magnum would post weaker parts specs than what they are actually using unless it was a typo. Hopefully they haven’t downgraded, since $2k would be a lot for something with entry-level parts.

The three power modes (POWER, NORMAL and ECO) don't seem to be very different, but the six PAS selections give you a wide range of choices. Maximum steady speed with my weight on the flat is 25 mph and the bike feels stable and in control at speed. Not surprisingly, the PAS setting controls both the top speed and the range. For example, on a very hilly route with several steep, long climbs, the range has varied from 25 miles (POWER mode, PAS =6) to 35 miles (ECO mode, PAS =3) with average speeds of 21 mph and 16 mph respectively.

After several weeks and 300 miles I'm very pleased with the Magnum Premium. It has good power and acceptable range considering my riding style (steady moderate cadence, high point-to-point speeds), size (6' plus, 220 plus) and the hilly rural terrain of my rides.

This is very helpful, mileage range is probably my top consideration after the folding capability and suspension fork. Do you have any numbers on flatter terrain? Also, do you have the 14Ah or 16Ah battery?

Thanks for confirming the weight. I think Magnum might have hit cut n paste from the Classic specs (or perhaps left up old specs from the previous generation) because they also say the Premium II comes with Shimano Tourny gearing while the EBR specs says it’s the higher quality Shimano Acera and show a weight more in-line with what you experienced. Seems odd that Magnum would post weaker parts specs than what they are actually using unless it was a typo. Hopefully they haven’t downgraded, since $2k would be a lot for something with entry-level parts.

This is very helpful, mileage range is probably my top consideration after the folding capability and suspension fork. Do you have any numbers on flatter terrain? Also, do you have the 14Ah or 16Ah battery?

The cassette on my Magnum is unbranded, probably it is Tourny. I bought a Shimano HG41 7-Speed 11-28t Cassette (Acera) to replace it which is clearly marked as such on the largest cog, but have not yet changed it out.

Mine was purchased late in 2019 and they apparently upgraded to a new model (Premium II) just about then. Mine has mechanical discs and the 16 Ah battery. At that time EBR had only reviewed the Magnum 48 model, not the Premium.

I ride it a fair amount of the time without power for the exercise and it is easy to ride that way. With PAS 1 and 2 the mileage on my admittedly hilly ride works out to 50 plus and 40 miles per charge respectively. Even at PAS 1, it is hard to "help" very much with the gearing provided unless you pedal hard. I switch back and forth PAS 1 to PAS 0, to get a bit more of a workout. I can imagine mileage approaching 60 on the flat, but don't have any experience with that.

I keep detailed ride records and am surprised how consistent the distance per charge is for a given PAS selection---average speed as well. I tend to pedal continuously with a steady, cadence.

It folds and unfolds easily and the suspension works very well. Even the seat is more comfortable than I expected it to be.

Back