2017 Kalkhoff Integrale switches off randomly

JEKE

My 2017 Kalkhoff Integrale i8 has developed a fault after using it for about 6 weeks/350 miles. From time to time, it switches off without clear cause. It is impossible to switch the bicycle back on immediately afterwards. If I leave it off for a few minutes, I can switch it back on eventually.

The first time this happened was on a rainy day, so I assumed at the time it was caused by water. But it has happened on dry days as well. When it happens, I am using a reasonable gear and the power output of the motor is not unusually high. However, it only seems to happen when the bicycle is providing pedal assist and never when my speed exceeds 17 mph and I'm on my own power.

The problem is very frustrating to diagnose. Most of the time, it seems as though the bicycle is perfectly fine and it does not switch off. I am unable to replicate the problem as it seems to occur at random.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Find out the correct torque setting ( in Newton meters) for your rear hub. Might be your torque sensor not cooperating when you pedal. They can be finicky.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try to correct the torque setting and see if that resolves it.

Also , you may need to recalibrate the torque sensor . I am going through the recalibration steps with my torque sensor on my Stromer St2 currently. I am having similar issues with my St2. Good luck with your Kalkhoff.

Last edited:
Hi Jeke. Yes I am having this problem also. I bought my Intregale I8 in May this year and after 2 weeks was caught in heavy rain and water got into display. The display kept shutting down and then it stopped all together. 50cycles did replace it. I am scared to use bike if rain is forecast as don't want this to happen again! Unfortunately the replacement has started shutting down intermittently and has condensation inside? I keep the bike in a garage. Seeing I paid £3300 for this bike I feel this is a bit of a let down. Cheers

Back