2016 Jumper - no throttle

miraj

I'm planning on buying a Jumper when the 2016's come out. I'm reading that they may not have throttle mode. I only ride off-road. Do anyone use throttle mode when they ride in the woods? Would I be missing a lot without throttle mode?

Thanks for any responses!
Mike

Hi Mike and welcome!

I don't have a Jumper, I have an Evo 29'er, so I don't know what the '16 Jumper will have. One good thing with a hub drive and throttle is if you have a physical mishap or a mechanical problem with the drive components (chain, gears, derailleur, BB) that prevents you from pedaling the bike home or to your car is that you can throttle back. That said, I don't use the throttle mode very much and I wouldn't let the absence of the throttle keep me from getting the bike I wanted, as long as it had a good PAS system and the Easy Motion bikes have very good torque sensing PAS. Some BH ebikes do have a walk feature throttle of sorts that will drive the bike 3-4 mph and still other bikes like the Specialized Turbo have a launch type of throttle to aid in starting from a complete stop.

If you want an answer on whether the '16 Jumper will have a throttle, call Len at @Crazy Lenny Ebikes . He would know and he might be able to give you an idea when the bike will be in stock and what the out-the-door price will be. I got my 29'er from Len, good guy.

BH use a half-grip throttle which would seriously compromise your grip on a full sus bike like the Jumper. They could have a thumb throttle in its place, but oh well.

I'm planning on buying a Jumper when the 2016's come out. I'm reading that they may not have throttle mode. I only ride off-road. Do anyone use throttle mode when they ride in the woods? Would I be missing a lot without throttle mode?

Thanks for any responses!
Mike

Mike,

We have the 2016 Jumper Pro on floor and you're correct. They do not have a throttle. Normally, throttle on mountain bikes is not looked upon favorably. So, they have decided to remove it completely but their city bikes do have a throttle.
There are some nice features for the 2016 model year.
  1. 500W, 48v motor instead of 350W,36V ones.
  2. Battery capacity is now 526Whr instead of 432
  3. Rockshox Monarch rear suspension replaces the mediocre Suntour

Mike,

We have the 2016 Jumper Pro on floor and you're correct. They do not have a throttle. Normally, throttle on mountain bikes is not looked upon favorably. So, they have decided to remove it completely but their city bikes do have a throttle.
There are some nice features for the 2016 model year.
  1. 500W, 48v motor instead of 350W,36V ones.
  2. Battery capacity is now 526Whr instead of 432
  3. Rockshox Monarch rear suspension replaces the mediocre Suntour
Thanks so much for your reply and info about the 2016. I will be calling you about it soon. All those upgrades are fantastic. Very excited about the rear Monarch, and who doesn't love more power? I'm in CT and I'm looking for a serious off road machine that's completely stealthy. Haibike is obviously the top choice for offroad, but the laws in CT are still grey and I want to avoid all undue attention. I feel the Jumper is the only bike that meets that criteria. I'm still weighing the 2016 Jumper Pro and a leftover 2015 EVO Jumper. Do you have any leftovers in a Medium by any chance?
Thanks again, Crazy Lenny! I've heard "crazy" good things about your shop.

Mike

I like the BH bikes, however, I cannot purchase due to the high stand over height. The are only made in mediums and above for their off road bikes. Bummer! I test drove one and I did enjoy having a throttle with the rugged feel of an off road bike. Nice designing by BH!

On trails I only use the throttle when dismounted and walking up steep rocky sections. Throttles seem widely misunderstood by the general bike riding community. Throttles just are not that helpful in riding an e-bike. Cadence and shifting down early work best. The throttle is disabled during normal eco riding on my Neo
The throttle is also nice when walking your bike up stairs.

Back