EZip Trailz - Yes or No?

Jack Straw

I want an ebike for cruising around on the many paved trails in my neighborhood. I want it to function like a normal bike plus give an extra boost up some of the hills and when riding home tired against the wind. I am 5'10" 210lbs or so. I found a great deal on one. Should I pull the trigger on it or spend more for a better one?

I think most people on this forum would advise that you buy a bike with a lithium ion battery, as it will last longer than the lead-acid pack that comes with the Trailz. That said, the choice is ultimately up to you. It's quite possible that the Trailz is the right bike for you.

When I began riding road bikes, I started by buying the cheapest ones available, and then I later realized that there were better products out there. It worked for me because each bike was a step up from the previous one, and each bike served its purpose for me as a sort of introduction to cycling in general. The Trailz might be that "gateway drug" for you. ;-)

I want an ebike for cruising around on the many paved trails in my neighborhood. I want it to function like a normal bike plus give an extra boost up some of the hills and when riding home tired against the wind. I am 5'10" 210lbs or so. I found a great deal on one. Should I pull the trigger on it or spend more for a better one?
The one ebike I see on a regular basis, other than mine is an ezip Trailz. The guy rides it in town all the time and enjoys it. If you were planning to ride around your neighborhood a few miles a day you might make out well. The problem would be if you really get into ebiking and want to do more, like so many of us do. The norm here seems to be more and more range with the ability to get through hills. It might be wise to anticipate your needs and double that for good measure. Good luck and let us know how it all shakes out!

My honest answer is "no". You're better off getting something is better built. You don't have to go top dollar...

Also, is it new? If it's used, it is possible you'd have to factor in the price of new battery almost immediately, depending on how the battery has been treated.

I've owned an ezip trailz , I'm into my 3rd summer with the bike, I have broken rear spokes every summer, I have 2 batterys sla type on the rear, Ineed to replace them, since they are getting weaker. I my self am looking for a new bike, one that does a better range and and some what faster and less heavy bike, but I must say the bike does work except the lead batts and spoke problem. If you can afford something more pricey I would go with it, Ive been talking with a guy the has genze and he has been avg, about 50+ miles to each charge in pas. which is very good.

For the difference in money and performance, I would consider IZIP E3 with lithium option. I've had one for 2 years now, love it. Not problem free. I'm 6'1", 220 lbs so I had to upgrade to heavy duty rear spokes because I'm hard on the bike. Throttle stop broke ($40) after 18 months. Bought second battery (lead acid) for extended rides. With lead acid, I can make 15 miles or miles out on power assist and then, with lithium, I can race back 15 miles at full-throttle and hard pedal with power to spare. Great workout, 80 lbs with two batteries. I've lost 35 lbs since I've owned the bike. I ride 40 to 80 miles a week. Wore rear tire out at about 13 months. I live near Gulf of Mexico, so cheaper plated parts are starting to rust a bit. It was recommended to me by bike shop owner at Energy Conservatory, Dunedin, Florida as "great starter e-bike" and it is. Great shop too.

Back