Grace MX2 - the coolest

Richard Simpson

OK so unless you have been taking the wrong medication the coolest looking Urban bike on the planet is the Grace MX2. The outgoing model is pretty good but the new model is great with the new Bosch drive.
(There is an offroad version as well).
The styling is fantastic and the specs are great too. Just a pity there are these silly laws to prevent riders from moving at a decent pace.

The whole philosophy behind this bike is cool.
A design that looks cool. Slicks.
Belt drive matched with Bosch unit.
No cascading gears to get messy.
Cant wait to see how it rides.

Apparently they get released in April in Europe. Worth the trip to pick one up I think !!

What I really need is the 400W with a 250W dummy switch for when I get pulled over !
Output (Europe and Australia)

If you think you can find a cooler looking and designed bike for urban commutes then please suggest one !!

Grace Urban MX2 three-quarters.jpg

Hey Richard! I agree, great find this thing looks really sweet. It's the only Bosch driven electric bike I've ever seen with a belt drive and I love what Haibike and Felt have been doing with Bosch but the fact that this comes in an on road variant is also new - the others all seem to be mountain bikes. For example, IZIP has their own mid-drive system they use for the E3 Peak but for the E3 Dash (which is more for city riding) they used a rear hub motor.

Anyway, the disc brakes on the Grace MX2 look enormous, the tires remind me of the Specialized Turbo and the kickstand is beautiful (I'm a fan of single side vs. double). I wonder how much it weighs? Also, I know in Europe the limit is 25o watts and that's what most of the Bosch systems have been leading up to this year's Interbike where I saw some 350 watt versions (good luck with your wish for a 450 watt version!). It looks like the bike has a geared hub in the rear and I'm wondering how many speeds it has. It also looks like the seat post tube is extended towards the back and I'm curious what purpose that has?

Since you asked, one of my other favorites in terms of looks and function is the Faraday Porteur which is due out in January of 2014. It also uses a belt drive and has a geared rear hub but uses a front hub motor vs. mid-drive. That keeps it well balanced and works with a custom controller and battery design. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this bike ;)

Hey Court,

I think the weight of the urban is 22 Kg which is on the heavy side but I am 91 Kg so it does not make that big of a difference % wise.
I am also curious about the widened shaft behind the seat post.
I'd probably ride it without the kick stand altogether.
I have a flat bar road bike Focus that i could consider sacrificing for the greater good...!
(You can see the similarities with the philosophy and execution with the Grace MK2)
It's just so pure as it is though, and too expensive to buy another just for the purpose of converting.
I might just convert another 700C Giant that i have. It rides nicely but has cascading gears that i would rather not have as i think with the electric it is about the fun of not pedaling that makes it attractive and reducing the bike to the essentials gives it a clear set of lines.

69-0-full-planet_tr_1-1.jpg

Faraday 2 is good and kind of dutch old school with a modern twist. Not as "Blade Runner" as the Grace MX2 !!
I think I will just sacrifice the old 700C and put my own motor on it and see how we go while i wait for the MX2...

Great thoughts Richard, I see what you're going for and agree that a conversion could be affordable and effective short term (and a fun project) and then you can get exactly what you want with the Grace MX2 when it comes out! I'm excited to see your converted bike and hear about the MX2 eventually. Make a video or take some pictures for sure! I'm hoping to spend more time with Grace ebikes and might work it out so I can go to Eurobike next year, have you ever been? Any thoughts on that?

It sounds like BionX is considering bringing the Grace Easy to the US (heard that at Interbike this year) but they didn't show the One or any of the other Grace bikes I saw at Interbike 2012 which was kind of a bummer. Have you seen the one at all? The headlight is pretty distinctive and interesting.

It would be great fun to go do Eurobike but being in Perth in Western Australia the most isolated capital city on the planet it is a long way to go without a tax deduction!!

Saw that interview prior to you posting - mostly to do with their top ender e-bike which looks cool but I can't ride on our roads because I have lost my drivers license and am limited to 25kmh on 250W for six months.

I may wait until the end of that period to get myself a higher power road e-bike and then up spec it and get it registered which is a big hassle here but possible.

Perth is nice and flat with a border of hills if you want them and the weather is like California 300 days of sunshine a year so there are bikes everywhere now just not the appropriate infrastructure or public awareness to match. Big early morning peletons (not my cup of tea) around town before work.

Hey one more pic for you and again a candidate for e-conversion in my mind.
GT 2013 Meatball

gt_meat_gry_hero_13_z1.jpg

I will post my effort. The other bike I am looking at to convert is this one...

61TCtDCY347bM8KIUXOr-mr.jpg

Using a Dillinger Conversion Kit like this ...

7_Dillenger_Electric_conversion_kits.png

=

Jube plus Dillinger kit.jpg

The bike itself is from Jube https://jubecustoms.com.au/

Hey Court,

Have you trialed the Grace ONE - my eyes have been evolving somewhat since our last conversation ...!!!! and my wallet.

I'm off to Zurich to have a ride of one while i am there in a couple of weeks. I will fill you in...
Might come back with some extra luggage !!! It looks great but pretty costly and perhaps not as under the radar as the MX2 but heaps of grunt.

There are also some guys importing bikes here Dillinger - 750W (see below) I think really good value for money when compared to the Grace ONE but not as cool and german !! Still 2 thousand vs 8 is worth thinking through.....hmmmm. My guess is that they rebrand this bike and bring it in from Korea or Taiwan or Asia somewhere. It has similarities to other bikes i have seen with Panasonic batteries and the frame is a bit clunky. Can you do some sleuthing ...?? http://dillenger.com.au

0001_Dillenger-Electric-Bikes-Panasonic-Outlaw.png

Hi Richard! I have not actually ridden the Grace One but I did get to speak with its creators and explore the bike (pick it up, mess with the LCD computer etc.) at Interbike 2012. It looks pretty neat, very unique headlight design and solid frame build. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you get to test ride in Zurich!

The Dillinger looks pretty neat, I will keep my eyes out for the background on that one and share anything that comes up. The frame reminds me of the Volton Alation which I've enjoyed quite a bit. Anything with a built in battery pack that keeps it low and centralized is nice. You're right about the price and the specs on the Panasonic Outlaw, pretty impressive stuff. Powerful gearless motor and a big 48 volt pack, pedal assist and trigger throttle, nice LCD... disc brakes. It's impressive.

I agree.. Grace MX2 is indeed coolest looking bike.
Everything about it speaks German engineering...

here is a video of the bike in action:

Since we're on the subject of beautiful German engineered bicycles I want to call out the Focus Jarifa Offroad Premium XT. Just had the chance to test ride and review this at the New Wheel in SF. This thing is powerful, smooth and beautiful (though not quite as artistic in nature as the Grace bikes). I love how "engineered" these things are vs. just slapped together with generic parts.

We have been working with Grace to try to get these into the US this Spring, currently they're in negotiations with their US distribution partner. Another sexy German bike that will be coming to the US is the Nicolai E-Boxx (image below). It's special order only, but it is now available with the 28mph Gen 1 Bosch system.

nicolai-e-boxx-electric-bike-frame.jpg

We have been working with Grace to try to get these into the US this Spring, currently they're in negotiations with their US distribution partner. Another sexy German bike that will be coming to the US is the Nicolai E-Boxx (image below). It's special order only, but it is now available with the 28mph Gen 1 Bosch system.
What a rad setup! At this rate I basically find a new bike a week that I must have!!

Very appealing to the geek inside every man...!
Although an excellent piece of German engineering, I wonder how the warranty and service would be for someone who is away from the main US distributor.
5324 Euros would correspond to $7293 USD.

Ravi - It's about $5,500 for the frame, shock and electrics plus freight. Service would be handled by the dealers. Fortunately Bosch is in the process of setting up US based service headquarters as well.

Just got another update on Grace. The US distributor is going to Germany next week to sort out the details. I hope to have word in the next week or so whether Grace will be coming to the US this spring. It looks promising though. I'll make a post when I know more.

that sanitary gel dispenser is starting to blend in more as the designers keep improving. It's a nice bike. I really like the ability to have regular wheels as opposed to a wheel with the hub motor. I think that is the way to go but I still prefer purpose built frame over the obvious battery attachments.

Of course - belt drive - my favorite. Love that.

Hey Richard! I agree, great find this thing looks really sweet. It's the only Bosch driven electric bike I've ever seen with a belt drive and I love what Haibike and Felt have been doing with Bosch but the fact that this comes in an on road variant is also new - the others all seem to be mountain bikes. For example, IZIP has their own mid-drive system they use for the E3 Peak but for the E3 Dash (which is more for city riding) they used a rear hub motor.

Anyway, the disc brakes on the Grace MX2 look enormous, the tires remind me of the Specialized Turbo and the kickstand is beautiful (I'm a fan of single side vs. double). I wonder how much it weighs? Also, I know in Europe the limit is 25o watts and that's what most of the Bosch systems have been leading up to this year's Interbike where I saw some 350 watt versions (good luck with your wish for a 450 watt version!). It looks like the bike has a geared hub in the rear and I'm wondering how many speeds it has. It also looks like the seat post tube is extended towards the back and I'm curious what purpose that has?

Since you asked, one of my other favorites in terms of looks and function is the Faraday Porteur which is due out in January of 2014. It also uses a belt drive and has a geared rear hub but uses a front hub motor vs. mid-drive. That keeps it well balanced and works with a custom controller and battery design. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this bike ;)

Court, I believe Grace has been a player in the design and supply of some parts on the SMART electric bike. Germany builds beautiful cars and bikes - like no other - in my experience.

Back