Swapping 500 watt hub for the 750 watt hub

Dan Edwards

20171202_171322.jpg
Who bought A Teo thinking they were getting a 750 watt version, not the 500 watt Canadian version? Seems Bennoit was more interested in getting bikes out the door back in June.
Anyways, I have took my bike apart, sent wires hub and the local newspaper back to Bennoit at my cost. Awaiting their return to sunny Florida20171111_103811.jpg ( work/ vacation )
Dennis was one that was concerned about the wires going through the holes in the upper frame, 20171111_214425.jpg It was tight! I used a 90' pick and long needle nose pliers. Use the pliers to keep the square plug straight with the hole. The pick from the bottom to pull through when aligned. I had pulled the hall effect cable (crank sensor ) through before hand.
So attached cable to contoller, shipped bare wheel , hub, wire, display and control button. ( 79$ us USPS from Florida ) Bennoit has recieved, so look for an update. Used a Home Depot box, gusseted inside opposite the direction of the wheel. It sat diagonal in the box.
Holes you are fishing through, 20171127_215135.jpg20171127_214940.jpg
20171127_215135.jpg
20171127_214940.jpg

I will be deburing the inside hole! And other upgrades!
203mm rotors
20171126_182558.jpg

I'll update soon!!

Yes tires as well, Vee Rubber mission command.
20171115_184913.jpg

Update:> Parts came back, 6 days for mine to get their. 6 days for the return trip. Bennoit even reused my shipping box! / wonder if he liked the Florida news? /. And he didn't send the power cable back. He Thought I didn't send it, it was connected to the controller. He did put a nice gift in the box. A bar lock similar to the Abus unit.
So I drilled the burrs out of the access hole in the frame, 1/2" drill bit from 2 angles.
20171203_010856.jpg
20171203_010940.jpg

Also got a new exchange headlight?

During the down time I'm upgrading the brakes to 203mm rotors and Kevlar pads. Changed the tire liner too a blue one!

1512283245268765644026.jpg
so while down hear in Florida I have done some beach riding, aired tires down, got through the soft sand no problem. Some rouge waves happen to get in the way. So now the wheel bearings feel gritty. Yes I washed the beast right after leaving the beach.
I used a marine grease hoping this would repel any water next time.
1512283628636879422722.jpg

Stay tuned be right back:

Attachments

• 20171202_171322.jpg
    20171202_171322.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Hey Dan! great write up :) please show us details on how you did the tape for the wheels! did you take pictures as you went along? been looking into doing the same, but the stock tape is SO well applied, I don't want to take it off at the same time!

The tape is one peice nylon,26x80mm not hard to get off at all. A tubeless wheel uses tape layered in. My new stuff is a bit narrow, 65mm, the bike shop said it would be fine. I didn't do the tire exchange. I'm sure I can handle the "folding" tire in the future. It's not a wire bead. Vee rubber mission command. 20171204_223203.jpg

thanks for the quick reply Dan. How does the new tape stay in place, especially narrower like that? the stock one looks like it is self adhesive or glued on (?)
It's not tape, nylon ring. No end. 1 peice. Protects tube from spoke nuts. I wasn't around when the shop mounted the tire. It stretches on n off.

20171206_204031.jpg
20171206_212414.jpg
20171206_214508.jpg
Well got my hub power wire in the mail. ( intentionally left out, did not see mine attached to controller ).
20171206_185657.jpg
Fish the hall effect and power cable through from the bottom, crank side. Hall effect second.
20171206_204031.jpg 20171206_204300.jpg 20171206_204757.jpg

Using pick and needle nose fish the single wire to the outside then the square. Then poke back through to the inside. ( I didn't mention above, I removed all wires from the hole, so the big wires would fit through) work slack wire around the bend. Fish hall effect, then start placing the rest of the wires back through: 2 brake, throttle has yellow end, headlight, speed/power control, all conectors will only plug into their partners.20171206_205551.jpg
It will start to get full!
20171206_212414.jpg 20171206_214508.jpg
The contoller will stuff into the hole, with battery connectors out.
The trick is figure out what excess wire needs to go were?? don't forget the outside battery connector, holder
20171206_215756.jpg

So calling it a night, there is enough room for connectors and wires to be beside controller. Bottom of frame is rounded. Kinda fuzzy it's been over 2 weeks since tore it apart. Keep in mind the inside edge could be sharp. I fixed mine last week.

20171209_152843.jpg

I got the beast back together, has a few issues. I broke a wire off the power connection. It is a tight fit! The electric wires for the brake control I doubled up and run the excess in the down tube below the contoller tube. 20171208_165933.jpg
20171208_165949.jpg 20171208_170018.jpg

Not having tools I had to search out somebody with a solder gun, Batteries Plus helped me out, free!
As far as the wires and routing, take pictures! Patience and beer.
The bike is all back together.

How did it ride! Problems?

Most definitely has a noticable difference in power . Picture is the causeway bridge here in Jensen beach Florida. The only thing resembling a hill around.
20171209_153614.jpg

With the old hub I could manage about 12-14mph up the bridge. Today
I got 18.5 and 15mph into the strong winds. On the flat roads wind against me, no problem seeing 20mph.
Battery power, another issue. The indicator on the battery had quit. Charger shows it was full. On bike display shows full. Rode about 5 miles before crossing the bridge. During the ride over the gauge dropped 2 bars.
I am running 5 level of pas, not the 7 that we started with. Strange how the controller still has my settings. And mileage.
Contoller and Pas it is terrible in mode 1. Beware if negotiating a tight turn! Mode 1 will give you around 11mph. With each pad level a bit faster.

Good news the throttle works from a stand still! No turn off the peddles needed.

I can see my travel distance will be shorter. I will be going back to 7 levels of pas, see if that will slow mode 1 and 2 down.
The new tire, I put a Vee rubber mission command on the back, I am impressed, less noise! Still goes through the sand ( I didn't air down ). Will be putting one on the front! ( Fuji bikes use Vee tires )
Brakes, didn't get to use the new 203mm on the back, I got the wrong bracket. Front still had the 160mm. So only had front brake today. Way under power by itself. I'll have 203mm front and rear with kevlar pads by Christmas!
The tire liner looks great! Front will be done with new tire soon.
Discobrakes is were I've ended up getting most of the hardware. Got rotors from Amazon.
Pictures from today, Jensen Beach, Florida.
20171209_153614.jpg
20171209_144348.jpg
20171209_144301.jpg
20171209_144242.jpg
20171209_152858.jpg

Hey Dan! great write up :) please show us details on how you did the tape for the wheels! did you take pictures as you went along? been looking into doing the same, but the stock tape is SO well applied, I don't want to take it off at the same time!
Late reply, The tape is vinyl, one piece. be nice it will come off. The new Surry liners were a bit narrow but still work great. make sure they are flat when you install the tube.

05/28/2018 Update: finally getting around to the bikes again! Took both bikes out, (wife has the RadRover) on our usual ride. Big difference in power I still need to fix the pass levels, 1 is just to much to take off in a turn.

New bike rack! amazon search black widow, then google it to find the cheaper price, I added lights, and reflective tape. Check out those blue holes! nice huh!
20180528_121027.jpg
20180528_121027.jpg
Battery power was good, after 17 miles it was the hill climb, Race! The Rad is no longer champion of the 7% hill! it did drag the bars down to 2 at the top. 1/8 mile climb. stop for margaritas and on back to the truck. total 23 miles. Rad was about dead. I had 2 bars left at stand still. this took place in Lynchburg, VA downtown area
IMG_6020.jpg

I do have both Vee rubber tires on the beast.

@Dan Edwards how is the Teo holding up and would you buy it again? Planning on ordering a Yukon 750 Limited by the end of the month, but the Teo's prices have come down and slightly less than Voltbike right now. Just have to confirm the website's quoted shipping rate of $181 to Honolulu. I think Teo's better components are what forced Voltbike to make changes to their Yukon.

I like the extra power, I still have a issue with the controller, its stuck with only 5 level of pas. With pas 1 taking you to 10mph with a crack of the pedal.
After owning 2 ebikes. I would possibly just buy a fat tire bike set up the way I like, then put a mid drive kit from Luna on it.
But yes the little extras put Teo ahead of volt bike. Have you looked at m2s bikes?

Thanks for the update. A lot of companies like M2S and Surface604 won't ship to Hawaii. Luna is an option, but I have to arrange my own shipping for a pre-built bike. For a kit, I can get better pricing from AliExpress.com. I might do a DIY for my second bike.

Thanks for the update. A lot of companies like M2S and Surface604 won't ship to Hawaii. Luna is an option, but I have to arrange my own shipping for a pre-built bike. For a kit, I can get better pricing from AliExpress.com. I might do a DIY for my second bike.
You might try DHS and arrange your own shipping?
~ Update ~ After finding out the above concerning the controllers and hubs and such, I would not recommend buying a Teo if your an out of country purchaser. Twice I have been shipped a product that is not what its supposed to be. ( My daughter wrecked the bike, the other day turning around, went down an embankment after it lurched forward with a quarter turn of the pedal. )

With Luna, I do have to arrange my own shipping and had a quote from the company my employer uses, which was pretty good. However, Luna stopped making the bike I was considering. After reading a lot of online reviews and finally getting to test ride a RadRover at Rad's Seattle store 2 weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and ordered one from existing inventory last Friday. I was leaning really hard towards the Voltbike Yukon 750 because of the cheaper shipping rate, but there's been a lot of online chatter recently about Voltbike failing to return customer calls, emails, etc regarding delivery dates and post-sale support issues. I felt Rad Power Bikes definitely performed better in that aspect of customer service.

With Luna, I do have to arrange my own shipping and had a quote from the company my employer uses, which was pretty good. However, Luna stopped making the bike I was considering. After reading a lot of online reviews and finally getting to test ride a RadRover at Rad's Seattle store 2 weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and ordered one from existing inventory last Friday. I was leaning really hard towards the Voltbike Yukon 750 because of the cheaper shipping rate, but there's been a lot of online chatter recently about Voltbike failing to return customer calls, emails, etc regarding delivery dates and post-sale support issues. I felt Rad Power Bikes definitely performed better in that aspect of customer service.
Im positive you will enjoy the Rad, my wife has one. Ditch the seat for a cloud 9! Rad has the water bottle bosses already.

~Update! January 2019. So if you read through my upgrades. the "new" hub and controller would be great..BUT..... the controller Teo sent me is a "square" wave. meaning the power is on like turning on a light! crack the peddle over and it takes off. keep peddle going with no effort to help and your doing 13mph in Pas 1. And the other issue of the bike just "dying" for no reason. The controller is not compatible with the hub
Teo now offers a "Sine" wave controller, the power is not instant on. Do you think Teo would help me out? NO! Teo has even jacked the price on the correct controller for the 750 watt hub. $250 it was $199 this past summer.
SO I'm in the states, not much I can do about it. If I bought another Ebike I would most definitely look at Luna or Juiced bikes. Its a shame what vendors are doing to the ebike market.

FYI, My family has 2 e-bikes and a e-scooter from Luna. pretty cool ride!

Dan what's your thought's on the bike rack, I was thinking of getting one but lots of complaints about it about it bending.
Last rack was Thule easy easy fold xt2 (did not work well, 2 fat bikes very tight between they hang over edge)
Liked the Thule T2 worked well just don't like lifting 60 pound bikes anymore

Back