Dillenger Opia 2.0

sucka free

Hi all

I just received my Dillenger Opia today (see below link for the US version). I was in the market for a folding electric bike and this fit the bill, literally and figuratively. The price was right and figured I'd give it a whirl after entering the ebike foray via the Juiced CrossCurrent Air (500w version). I've decided the CrossCurrent Air was way too heavy to lug around (ie carry, put on a car rack, navigate in a tight bike parking garage) so I'd give this Opia a whirl.

To give context, I test rode an E-Joe epik and Motiv Stash (both 350w) and a velomini plus. I really liked the stash but couldn't justify the price thus I found the Opia.

https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes/folding-electric-bikes/opia-by-dillenger.html

At any rate, I received the Opia this afternoon and opened the box and it was packed protectively. Just enough styrofoam cushioning and wrap around the frame. No instructions were included but it was pretty straightforward to assemble and it took me about 15 minutes to put the skewer on the front wheel, adjust the front brake, install pedals, etc. Oh, about the brakes. They're reversed; left lever controls the rear and the right lever controls the front. I will be switching that out as all my other bikes are the other way around.

I took it for a ride around the block and although it's not as powerful as the CrossCurrent, it has plenty of pep for a 250w motor. It handles pretty well for having 20" wheels and a lower overall (close to the ground) design. It shifts well but will probably upgrade the derailleur in the near future.

There are some changes that I noticed from the bike on the website. First, if you look at the frame in the pics, it doesn't have braze-one for a rear rack or for rear disc brakes. The bike I received has the rear rack braze-ons and disc brake tabs. Oddly the fork does not have disc tabs so if I go that route in the future I'll have to replace the fork. Second, the LED display is different from the website as it is an updated version. (I've read the updated version comes with a rear rack, fenders and updated LED so it's nice that I can upgrade and still be under $1000 for a nice commuter).

At any rate, currently I'm pleased with my purchase as it fulfills most of what I want in a folding ebike. I was just surprised (pleasantly) at what I got versus what I expected.

I'm going to commute on it tomorrow and will give a review on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 4,258
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 4,238
  • IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3,985
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3,790
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,966
  • IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4,072
Last edited:
Hi,

I was wondering if you ever added disk brakes to the rear?
I'm having problems with my Opia at the moment. 2 of the spokes on the rear have snapped. I was thinking of swapping the wheel (not sure if that is possible?) or upgrading the spokes to be stronger. At the same time I'd love to get a rear disk break.

Any advice?

Cheers,
Simon

I didn’t go disc as I think the Vs work well. I haven’t had any problems with the wheels/spokes breaking so it’s a bummer to hear you have problems. I would think you could rebuild the wheel based on the hub but I’m no wheel expert. I did flat on the rear and that was actually not bad to take the wheel off. All in all I’m still happy with the Opia.

How does this bike feel to ride compared to a regular size E-bike. I am afraid to jump the gun on a folding bike as of right now because I think I might not like it.

The thing I wonder about most what is it like to pedal does it feel similar to a regular bike? What kind of range are you getting with it, It seems to have a small battery.

Almost one year later and the Opia still runs strong as a daily commuter. No modifications although I think this year I’m gonna splurge on fenders. Absolutely a blast to ride.

As far as the battery, I don’t really think about it as my commute is about 4 miles round trip on the highest pedal assist setting. The commute is completely flat. I charge the battery at least twice a week.

Oh and it handles slightly different than a regularly sized bike; a little twitchy but manageable. Still for the 700 dollar price it really can’t be beat.

Almost two years later and the Opia is still my “last mile” (maybe more like last 2 mile each way) commuter. The opia is a solid bike, no problems at all with the motor, battery doesn’t seem to have degraded, no tuning needed on the derailleur, slight brake cable adjustment (but that’s definitely from cables stretching). I still think it’s a great value for a folder. I would definitely get this bike again if I were in the market for an inexpensive daily commuter.

Back