Dillenger E Bikes

wa5

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Does anybody have any experience with this brand?

I think they are an Australian company, now expanding into the US and other markets, have a feeling most of their products are drop shipped straight from China, but they do have a warehouse in Queensland, Australia.

I'm rather interested in the Stealth Legacy 700c. any thoughts on the specs would be appreciated.

It is pretty much as you think and if that style of bike is what you like, take a look at some of the EMotion (Easy Motion) bikes with the frame mounted battery. Similar price to the Stealth Legacy 700C, but better components. Another option might be Volton's hybrid or mountain bikes; again with the sleek frame battery placement. The nice point on both the EMotion & Volton bikes is that there is support in the US and with your local EBike shop, which is a bit different from purchasing an Australian imported ebike.

Ann, I'm Australian, the bike is local to me.. (well about 500 miles away... but fairly close).

Hi,

They were known for kits, and there is a long thread on Endless Sphere about one of the kits. Last month they did a Kickstarter for a very low price ebike. They sold a bunch (it petered out when the Storm appeared). They have a really cleverly designed mobility scooter, that uses an ebike hub motor on the front. They claim to have sold 5,000. The company dates back about 7 years. They seem to move wherever they can try to sell something.

I don't know how they ship the goods, but they do show US stock on some items so that wouldn't be drop-shipped from China. I've emailed the proprietor, Sam Sewell, a couple of times, mostly about a kit they were offering on Kickstarter. That kit didn't fund.

See if you can get in touch with Sam. I can't compare the new bike to anything. It does have that Nexus hub. When they did the last Kickstarter, they were offering about the same ebike in the US for about the same price, just for sale. I was wondering if they might offer that Stealth on the same deal, if they did another Kickstarter. Not real impressed with anything CF, at this point. Everyone gets these low price bikes from China, but I think there is service from D. One guy on YouTube said they replaced his battery 3 times.

There's a review of their Bafang BBS02 kit on Electric Bike Report (Pete's site).

Reactions: wa5
Hi,

They were known for kits, and there is a long thread on Endless Sphere about one of the kits. Last month they did a Kickstarter for a very low price ebike. They sold a bunch (it petered out when the Storm appeared). They have a really cleverly designed mobility scooter, that uses an ebike hub motor on the front. They claim to have sold 5,000. The company dates back about 7 years. They seem to move wherever they can try to sell something.

I don't know how they ship the goods, but they do show US stock on some items so that wouldn't be drop-shipped from China. I've emailed the proprietor, Sam Sewell, a couple of times, mostly about a kit they were offering on Kickstarter. That kit didn't fund.

See if you can get in touch with Sam. I can't compare the new bike to anything. It does have that Nexus hub. When they did the last Kickstarter, they were offering about the same ebike in the US for about the same price, just for sale. I was wondering if they might offer that Stealth on the same deal, if they did another Kickstarter. Not real impressed with anything CF, at this point. Everyone gets these low price bikes from China, but I think there is service from D. One guy on YouTube said they replaced his battery 3 times.

There's a review of their Bafang BBS02 kit on Electric Bike Report (Pete's site).

I wish there were some reviews and more info on the Stealth Legacy 500. I like the looks of the bike and larger wheels than the Volton and the price, but there is no info anywhere except for the Dillenger Web site. It's like this bike doesn't exist. To risky without local US support in my opinion. Otherwise this could be a sweet deal and I'd buy one without a test ride.

Last edited:
DO NOT buy from these people. They have horrible customer service. Their site said something was in stock and only after placing the order did I get a notice that it was on back order and would be 2-3 weeks so they put the pressure on to up sell me on the Lithium Ion battery (at a discount granted). The kit didn't come in time for our project after all so I decided to just use in for myself. It would not fit into the forks I'd have to file the inside of my forks. Sam Sewell told me to buy new forks "they're cheap". I tried it on two different bikes, cannondale and trek. On top of all this their customer service person and Sam himself were smart asses to me in their email.

CRAP company run by A-holes that have no interest in happy customers.

I had better luck installing a chinese kit off ebay that came in a timely fashion and installed surprisingly easy for half the price.

Its always disappointing to hear of such things? how did the kiit end up working?

We tried it on the Trek bike and was about to start filing on the inside of the forks then we decided to see how it was going to fit onto the handle bars. The shifters on the Trek were the twist kind and would not have worked well with the throttle, it's a twist as well. Thumb throttle would have worked better. That's no fault of Dillenger in that case. So we decided not to go ahead with filing the forks. Still haven't installed it. I have a $600 piece of crap sitting in my garage. The Chinese kit was installed in about 2.5 hours by my son and I for a school project of his. Worked well but we don't have a lot of miles on it yet so who knows how long it will last before something breaks.

I might have tried harder to get the kit to work if their service hadn't been so bad but also the $$$ were adding up. New shifters would be next? And according to Sam new forks as well, like my carbon forks on my $1300 canondale are odd and I should just throw them away and go out and buy new ones for it. They were designed special for the frame to match. He's an idiot.

Echoing the response above, DO NOT BUY FROM DILLENGER... We purchased one of their complete bikes and it systematically disintegrated over the next couple of weeks, including an incident where a brake disc fell off causing an accident. In our experience the bike was provided in the box straight from China and had not been inspected by Dillenger on the way through. The quality control was appalling and everything that broke or fell off essentially became our problem (good luck getting anything like customer support from the smug operators at Dillenger..). It really is so bad we cant use it anymore without spending a fortune on parts and repairs (even though it is still meant to be under warranty), we cant even sell it privately. Worst business we have dealt with in years.

There are all types of people and some of them form companies. In my town I am having trouble with local bike shops that vandalize the bikes taken in for work. Ensuring a sooner replacement purchase. It's at the point now with my body weight that I am going to get my own wheel spoke tightening and truing stand. Another thread here mentioned thread locking compound being an idea for how to make spokes last longer. As my Mongoose "Terrex" has had a month for the spokes to stretch and a shop has tightened them. I might run superglue on them to keep um from loosening. The downside of superglue is any adjustments that are sealed with it are permanent. I put so much on a bike lock holder, that when I got a new bike I have to buy the same version of the lock just to get the holder for the new bike.

Back