130 million e-bikes are expected to be sold globally between 2020 and 2023

cuwatra

Good news for our industry...

Between 2006 and 2012, e-bikes represented less than 1 percent of all annual bike sales. In 2013, only 1.8 million e-bikes were solid in all of Europe, while customers in the US bought a measly 185,000.

But things started to shift, thanks to improvements in lithium-ion battery technology, pricing, power, as well a growing movement in cities to shift away from gasoline-powered cars to zero-emission vehicles. Now, analysts are saying they expect e-bike sales to enter warp speed over the next few years. Analysts say they expect 130 million e-bikes to be sold globally between 2020 and 2023.

At this pace the number of e-bikes on the roads will easily outpace other e-vehicles by just the end of next year.

Now if more cities would just make the necessary changes to encourage more people to bike — such as building a network of protected bike lanes, restricting car use in certain areas, and offering safe places to lock up and store bikes!

What I find interesting is that most street / non-mtn ebikes are still being designed by cyclists for cycleists. They hide the batteries, make the ebike as stealthy and light as possible because that's the only paradigm bike designers have known for 25 years and they can't get out of that box.

A "transportation-grade" ebike doesn't need to have a hidden battery and put you in riding position the kills your neck and nuts just to be aero. Make it heavier with more power but ensure both the engine and human elements are optimized. Honestly not one current bike has nailed it.... I understand Frey and Luna are close but still too worried about stealth and both companies still seem to think it's OK to put knobbies on an urban mobility ebike. NOOOOO it's not!

What I find interesting is that most street / non-mtn ebikes are still being designed by cyclists for cycleists. They hide the batteries, make the ebike as stealthy and light as possible because that's the only paradigm bike designers have known for 25 years and they can't get out of that box.

A "transportation-grade" ebike doesn't need to have a hidden battery and put you in riding position the kills your neck and nuts just to be aero. Make it heavier with more power but ensure both the engine and human elements are optimized. Honestly not one current bike has nailed it.... I understand Frey and Luna are close but still too worried about stealth and both companies still seem to think it's OK to put knobbies on an urban mobility ebike. NOOOOO it's not!
You're making a lot of sense here.

So what about mamachari ebikes in Japan?

They're designed to be everyday transportation, not recreational item.

You are kidding I hope. I'm guessing that even if there is an ebike version of the mamachari (mama's bike) it's going to have something like a 250w motor (while the mids at that power can be great for mtn ebikes they don't cut it for transportation in the US where time is money when you are commuting) and limited to 32kph (I suggest that people stick to walking if that the top assist speed of the commuter ebike you purchase).

I know everyone is going to claim I'm promoting a moped or motorcycle but I strongly believe in the human element because we are very efficient for getting a bike to say 25kph and sustaining that speed but that isn't such a great speed if you have a 20 mile commute to work.

Designers that have worn spandex for many years can not envision a real transportation ebike. The Bultaco Brinco had/has a lot of potential as an urban mobility ebike but I've heard they are stuggling because they don't sell in the US and in Europe the bike is off-road compliant only.

There are tons of ebike version of mamachari.

I was talking about the concept of mamachari.. not exactly the power.
Bridgestone
Panasonic
Yamaha
Someone on EBR should jump on this deal... $250 all original and needs a battery. ;)

Local pick up only. I have other ones listed as well or i can help load if you arrange to pick up with a shipping company at your cost.
I picked these up years ago but I'm realizing that I have way too many projects so they have to go. Looks like it's all original and it has the original stickers.
I never got to use it because I do not have the battery. So I never tried to get it running or if it runs. The original key is still in the lock.
The chain guard is cracked and Bridgestone seat is torn. The back tire says 26 " Shimano hub. Comes as is.
Vintage Rare Yamaha Pas Raffini Electric Bicycle City E-Bike Beach Cruiser. Condition is Used. Local pickup only.

1603513325470.png

Looks like I was mistaken about the vintage... in 2014 it was still available in the JDM market and has a Lithium battery. ;)

Last edited:

What do you think about the Frey CC with Schwalbe moto x tires?

Back