1/19 Update on timelines and Shipping

I was talking to someone in another Asian country and it is astounding how much cargo timelines are being dictated by CNY. We are a small fish but its crazy stupid. I have had another factory weirdly have a covid shutdown as well. So its touch and go.
It’s the whole industry. Sondors has a cargo ship full of bikes sitting off the California coast. The ports are so backed up they can’t even get in to offload the bikes. Insane!

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 2.42.20 PM.png

I was talking to someone in another Asian country and it is astounding how much cargo timelines are being dictated by CNY. We are a small fish but its crazy stupid. I have had another factory weirdly have a covid shutdown as well. So its touch and go.
Yeah I can see that. Some of the worst times to visit some Asian countries is during CNY because a lot of places are closed.

COVID-19 infections among dockworkers and a pandemic-fueled torrent of imports have created a perfect storm at California's two busiest ports.

The Los Angeles Times reported that nearly 700 dockworkers at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach have contracted COVID-19, and hundreds more have had to take virus-related leave, creating the potential for a debilitating slowdown. As of Jan. 20, a total of 45 ships were waiting to unload—the largest bottleneck in six years.

1611779506236.png

Well, the poor dears don't get Christmas like we do so they take their extended Holiday at NY. No Thanksgiving either. I feel for them. 😶

All,

Previous update here - https://electricbikereview.com/foru...s-and-shipping-and-order-customization.40214/

Big update - We are paying for airfreight for all frames and battery for Hydra and Helios to meet the Feb / march timelines for all hydra and helios orders. This is at no cost to the current order holders. Thanks @Deacon Blues for having me explore this. I know we discussed the price but I'll cover it rather have you pay more at the moment. Dragged on for too long :)

We will also make air shipping option available for future orders - it works out to be ~ $200/frame and ~$150 / battery to get those air freighted to the US (MOQ needed but we can manage that on our end)

The following timelines remain unchanged as of today
For Helios orders placed after Nov 30, the estimated frame shipping from Asia ETA is mid-April.
For Hydra orders placed after Dec 20, the estimated frame shipping from Asia ETA is mid-April. (note - there are a couple of orders placed right after Dec 20 and we will cover those.. i am choosing this more as a nice looking date for documentation purposes)

Couple of next steps :
1. I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on this - I am targeting latest by Feb 1st week to finish this. I will send emails with order summaries to every buyer, and we will confirm the order summary, and most (if not all ) customization, except colors.
2. We will request final colors for Hydra by Feb 1. We will request for Final colors for Helios by Feb 28th.

Couple of follow up questions that people have asked me over the past few weeks

1. Do we have enough parts to build all bikes?
- For all orders placed so far, we have all parts. The Rohloffs are on order and hope to get them by no later than end of Feb. We have Kindernays.
- Shimano and Microshift are backordered. We have enough on hand to build bikes. If we replace with no-name cassettes and shifters (OE , tested, but non branded), we will offer the relevant discounts on orders. These are not bad components but its better to be transparent upfront.
- For the Hydra, we are exploring shifting to SRAM (if shimano continues to have super long lead times). We have enough to bridge between now and July.
- We have enough forks etc to push us through July. However, next order of Manitou is ETA september!
- We have enough lights on order to cover Helios orders. ETA for supernova is late Feb. We are exploring moving to Magicshine as the default option for all future orders. We are working with them on a custom 2000 lumen light (wired). Supernova will still be available as an upgrade option.
- Orders after Feb with Kindernay will slip to late April at the earliest.

2. Are bike prices changing / about to change?
- Yes, most likely. For all orders we have placed in the past 15 days, prices have gone up 10-25% across the board. (more variation on the cheaper components)
- Shipping has gone up considerably
- Customs duties are being tracked very closely so there are fewer "misses"
- I am still working out the match but we expect the base price to go up by 300-400.
- This does NOT affect prices for any order already placed.

3. If prices change, when will they change, will that affect timelines?
- We expect prices to be re-calibrated by Feb 1st week (using CNY as a placeholder to get final prices).
- We will honor current price for all orders placed before that.
- This does NOT affect prices for any order already placed.

4. What happened to the demo frame being painted for Helios?
- The entire frigging paint shop group caught covid. including the owner. Out of commission through Jan 25. The base coat has been painted, and we are only waiting on the decals to. be done. So we are close but praying we get them Jan 25th.
- Here is an updated picture of the Step through frame - we should have it here (in the US) soon.

View attachment 77108
Pushkar ... How is the email timeline looking?

COVID-19 infections among dockworkers and a pandemic-fueled torrent of imports have created a perfect storm at California's two busiest ports.

The Los Angeles Times reported that nearly 700 dockworkers at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach have contracted COVID-19, and hundreds more have had to take virus-related leave, creating the potential for a debilitating slowdown. As of Jan. 20, a total of 45 ships were waiting to unload—the largest bottleneck in six years.

View attachment 77679
Love that picture. Zoomed in. One of these things is not like the others. 🤣

Back