Turbo Vado SL questions

Can't believe you said that out loud around here!

Wow, that $2,499 is $200 less than I paid for my lowly Surface 604 hub-drive in September, 2022! Still happy with it, and an SL wouldn't work for me as an only-ebike. But one day I'll add a Specialized mid-drive — wife and garage space permitting.
Ha!

Ya....Specialized did a crazy sale on the Vado SL last summer. It didn't last long....and I got lucky. The same model remains on 'sale', however, they have raised the price considerably. At that time I had assumed that a new and updated model must be forthcoming. I enjoyed the bike a great deal last year and am looking forward to many more rides.

There are a few mild annoyances that I could nit-pick....but overall it still remains among very few bikes that really meet my specific desires....and at an acceptable price-point.

None of the local bike shops around here have either the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 or the Skitch flat bar in stock, so I don't really have to decide yet. Besides. it's too cold and wet here to even go for a test ride.
Wonder if the absence of any SL 5's at the shops means they're gonna come out with a new model?

None of the local bike shops around here have either the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 or the Skitch flat bar in stock, so I don't really have to decide yet. Besides. it's too cold and wet here to even go for a test ride.
Wonder if the absence of any SL 5's at the shops means they're gonna come out with a new model?

I cannot credibly answer whether a new model is forthcoming. Eventually....certainly this model will be updated or replaced.

When shopping for a bike....like many....I delve too far into the minutiae...with good intentions. In reality after riding the Vado SL for a season and 1600 miles....I can honestly say that I do not need more torque, more power, or more battery. I really like the way this bike 'behaves' and find it strikingly 'analog-like'. This is...above all else....what I had been seeking.

If I could change ONE thing about the bike (and I am really nit-picking here) I would prefer that the motor noise was lesser. Secondarily I found the frame to be quite stiff at first.....but I overcame this by using a suspension stem and PanaRacer Gravel Slick tires. It is easy to listen to the 'statistics' on paper....or to an anonymous poster's gripes about any given bicycle. The truth is....that I really really like the Vado SL and it has thus far served me very well.

If money were no object I might be leaning towards the Skitch....as I believe (but don't know...haven't yet test ridden) that the Skitch may alleviate my main two gripes. Carbon frame should be more compliant and motor should be quieter. On the contrarian's side....the Skitch has no bosses for mounting fenders/racks and has no built-in light(s).

Don't let perfection be the obstacle to 'good'. And unless money is no object....we (or at least me) cannot forget that a person can buy two Vado SL's for the price of one Skitch.

Same here. But while I wait for the Skitch to be restocked I'm gonna try to find some time to test ride a Creo 2. Been a few years since I've last owned a drop bar bike. I was so into riding the 4.0 Vado SL EQ that I neglected my Trek Domane and eventually traded that in. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I want to have a drop bar bike now. I think drop bar Skitch's are available nearby, but if I'm going drop bar, I'd go with the Creo 2 since I already have the range extenders from the Vado. Also, from my test rides on the Skitch - I think the Skitch assist is not as smooth as the Spec models. Also the Creo 2 specs indicate slightly higher tire clearances and should allow more (fatter) tire choices.

I cannot credibly answer whether a new model is forthcoming. Eventually....certainly this model will be updated or replaced.

When shopping for a bike....like many....I delve too far into the minutiae...with good intentions. In reality after riding the Vado SL for a season and 1600 miles....I can honestly say that I do not need more torque, more power, or more battery. I really like the way this bike 'behaves' and find it strikingly 'analog-like'. This is...above all else....what I had been seeking.

If I could change ONE thing about the bike (and I am really nit-picking here) I would prefer that the motor noise was lesser. Secondarily I found the frame to be quite stiff at first.....but I overcame this by using a suspension stem and PanaRacer Gravel Slick tires. It is easy to listen to the 'statistics' on paper....or to an anonymous poster's gripes about any given bicycle. The truth is....that I really really like the Vado SL and it has thus far served me very well.

If money were no object I might be leaning towards the Skitch....as I believe (but don't know...haven't yet test ridden) that the Skitch may alleviate my main two gripes. Carbon frame should be more compliant and motor should be quieter. On the contrarian's side....the Skitch has no bosses for mounting fenders/racks and has no built-in light(s).

Don't let perfection be the obstacle to 'good'. And unless money is no object....we (or at least me) cannot forget that a person can buy two Vado SL's for the price of one Skitch.
While I had no real issues with its ride, I added a Cane Creek suspension stem and seat post to my 4.0 SL EQ. While the ride is improved and I am using 38 mm tubeless tires on it, I felt the Skitch with its carbon frame and 47mm tires was much better. The Skitch was mostly quieter and provides noticeably greater power and also has the temporary 100 W boost option. At the Santa Cruz factory one of the employees had a drop bar Skitch outfitted with 3rd party lights as well as full fenders. Don't recall if it had a rack but for sure there are 3rd party racks available. While an additional expense, add on lights/fenders/racks would provide me with the options to customize each to what I want.

I hear you. All my road bikes are carbon fiber and I love the ride and feel of a quality CF frame. And I think an SL 1.1 motor would be fine for me. I've read however that the SL 1.2 and Fazua motors are a lot quieter, and I must admit that sounds rather appealing.

While I had no real issues with its ride, I added a Cane Creek suspension stem and seat post to my 4.0 SL EQ. While the ride is improved and I am using 38 mm tubeless tires on it, I felt the Skitch with its carbon frame and 47mm tires was much better. The Skitch was mostly quieter and provides noticeably greater power and also has the temporary 100 W boost option. At the Santa Cruz factory one of the employees had a drop bar Skitch outfitted with 3rd party lights as well as full fenders. Don't recall if it had a rack but for sure there are 3rd party racks available. While an additional expense, add on lights/fenders/racks would provide me with the options to customize each to what I want.
Good to know. Thanks. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride them one of these days.

My impression from two rides on the Skitch was it is a really stiff bike!
Thanks Avalanche. Actually the combination of stiffness and lightweight (along with some shock and vibration absorption) is what I like about CF frames (I do a lot of climbing).
What did you think of the Skitch's motor and drivetrain?

Thanks Avalanche. Actually the combination of stiffness and lightweight (along with some shock and vibration absorption) is what I like about CF frames (I do a lot of climbing).
What did you think of the Skitch's motor and drivetrain?
My main bike these days is a Diverge Expert carbon. It feels comfortable over any terrain for a few hours. Haven't had a desire to even add the Redshift post we have on hand. Futureshock and tubeless really help with comfort. With a Skitch or other flatbar bike I'd run a stem suspension, tubeless, and innerbarends (thanks Stefan for making me aware of those!) so maybe the real ownership experience with the Skitch could be pretty comfortable. Skitch can also run a front fork (but none of them are allowable for e-bikes going 20+ for some reason).

I'm not sure that I experienced the motor to its fullest unfortunately, because the bike was at low charge both occasions. That said, it felt more powerful that one would ever need - and it made you work for it even in the highest assist mode. The Specialized motors will give a lot of artificial boost in the top mode, which is great when you want to avoid getting sweaty in hot climates. Most people say the Fauza Ride 60 is quieter than the SL 1.2 in the new Creo 2. From my experience I seemed to find the SL 1.2 to be less annoying.

Nub meant that the maximum Assist Factor ("It's N * You!") is the same for SL 1.1 and SL 1.2. (Either motor is boosting the rider's leg power with the same factor). The rider's leg power is an input signal (an assistance request) that is responded by the motor output signal (assistance) based on the same multiplier for SL 1.1 or 1.2. This happens until the Maximum Motor Power has been reached. Meaning, an average rider will get the same assistance in low assistance modes from either motor.
The SL 1.2 motor is up to 2.3x rider power vs the SL 1.1 motor's 1.8x rider power. Effectively the 1.2 can provide 27% more assist than the 1.1 motor for the same rider input power.

Marketing materials round both to 2x apparently.

Per Specialized Support:
1706467800893.png

As for @Nubnub's comments - yes if your settings for Eco for example hold both motors to 25% of max power the 1.1 will cap out sooner than the 1.2 motor. But nobody says you can't change that 25% to a 33% on the 1.1 equipped bike to compensate for the different max power.

I bought a Vado SL 5.0 in Dec for $3750 from my LBS. I was looking for a flat bar gravel bike for which the Vado SL is ideal. The future shock is a wonderful addition for washboard gravel.
I replaced the seat, bars, tires, and pedals. I put on Specislized Tracer Pros @ 47mm. Adequate clearance, wonderfully versatile gravel tire. I changed out the uncomfortable seat, but not the post. Since the rear light screws into the underside of the seat, I had to make a small wooden spacer as an interphase, not really a problem at all. Final piece of kit was my Jones Bar and SPD pedals.
I’m not really into appearances, but the brushed aluminum and black is striking but not loud.

I bought a Vado SL 5.0 in Dec for $3750 from my LBS. I was looking for a flat bar gravel bike for which the Vado SL is ideal. The future shock is a wonderful addition for washboard gravel.
I replaced the seat, bars, tires, and pedals. I put on Specislized Tracer Pros @ 47mm. Adequate clearance, wonderfully versatile gravel tire. I changed out the uncomfortable seat, but not the post. Since the rear light screws into the underside of the seat, I had to make a small wooden spacer as an interphase, not really a problem at all. Final piece of kit was my Jones Bar and SPD pedals.
I’m not really into appearances, but the brushed aluminum and black is striking but not loud.
Sounds nice. What seat? And a photo or two would be in order!

I never detached the rear light from the bike.
I only unscrewed it from the seat, removed the Spec seat and installed the Seele Royal Respiro Saddle.
Then screwed the light to the DYI wooden shim (painted black) and
Then screwed the shim to the plastic underside of the saddle with a #10 pan head sheet metal screw. This attachment will depend on the saddle you’re installing.

Image.heic

Image_1.heic

These photos require commentary.

Wooden shim made from cedar shake cut to 3” x 1 ½ “ and painted black.

Light screwed to underside of shim with two pan head drywall screws. (Tho most any screw will do)

Shim then screwed to underside of seat with pan head sheet metal screw.

This is all DIY, so your seat will dictate how the shim can be best attached.

So, this means of changing the seat does not require any rewiring or changing the seat post.

Thank you! The point is my saddle is SWAT compatible so don't need the shim but would like to know the brand and model of the taillight.

Sorry to confuse; my taillight is still the stock Vado spec, jus’ mounted to a different seat without changing the seat post or rewiring the taillight.

Sorry to confuse; my taillight is still the stock Vado spec, jus’ mounted to a different seat without changing the seat post or rewiring the taillight.
Thank you! I'm trying to determine what actually the light is as we use a different model on a Vado SL EQ. The spec reads
"Taillight
Specialized integrated saddle mount, LED Technology, 12V".

As I intend to remove the rear fender and rack from my Vado SL EQ, I need to reorganize the tail lighting. Perhapś I will just use a rechargeable, seat-post mounted tail-light I already own...

Back