Which one would be best?

Grahamk

Region
Canada
Trying to decide between 2 bikes. Components are the same on both except one is a 500 watt hub drive with a TORQUE SENSOR and the other is a 500 watt mid drive with a CADENCE SENSOR. Can’t try them out because they have not arrived in Canada, but want to put a deposit on them so I don’t miss out. From what I’ve read, torque sensor is the way to go but have never tried one. I’ve tried a hub drive with a Cadence sensor and didn’t like the on/off feel of the motor kicking in. I like that the mid drive is torquier and will climb hills better but it’s Cadence. Are mid drives more problematic? Which would you chose? Thanks.

Mid-drives are better for long hills hauling weight that could overheat a hub motor. However, hub motors can handle most hills just fine. If you didn't like the cadence sensor, I would go with the torque sensor and hub drive unless you have a specific requirement for a mid-drive bike.

If you have grades that will hold the hub motor down to <10 mph for an hour at full throttle, then you could burn it. Rocky mountains in Canada, mostly. DD hub drives have not as much torque as a mid drive but geared hub motors of 500 w up do. I just came in from a 30 mile ride with > 80 hills. My Mac12t motor is warm.
Mid drives are trendy, make the bike shop more money, and cannot be ridden until repaired if the chain pops off. Mid drives use up chains 1.5 to 8 times as fast as hub drives. Especially 9 or up speed chains, which are thin. My 8 speed chain lasted 2 1/2 years ~5000 miles with my hub drive.
I'd like to convert my hub drive to torque sense control. I hated cadence PAS, deleted the crank pickup. I use throttle now only when I need power - like today: 20 mph wind in my face all 30 miles.

Not all cadence PAS systems work the same, not by a long shot. Some act more like a cruise control or accelerate abruptly up to 12 mph minimum. I really like Ride1Up for hub drive cadence PAS, which provides consistent power at customizable levels, but they don't have a mid-drive available, yet. So, you're probably better off getting something with a torque sensor.

How do others find hub drives for getting up hills in the Vancouver area. I’m not talking about the mountains, but say Burnaby Lake up to Metrotown. Or the New Westminster Quay to Uptown N. West. Can a 500 watt hub drive do that climb or would a person need a mid drive? Thanks.

Thanks. He doesn’t mention what Hub drive was in there. So I guess You favour Mid drive.

If talking Rize brand, it will be about the popular Bafang 500w geared hub. The Rize MD is a Bafang M600 mid drive. I don't think Rize offers a BBSxx motor.

As far as my vote, I have geared hub bike and an Ultra powered bike - which happens to be a Rize RX Pro. Here it's about the monster torque available from the Ultra when dealing with hills is an issue. The fact it offers torque sensing is a bonus!

From a drop dead simple easy to ride standpoint, I'm going to go for the geared hub. Further, when/if it comes down to how big a geared hub, I have a 1000w MAC geared hub powered bike that getting older, and a new project bike that has a 500w geared hub - that's 15 lbs lighter than the 1000w bike (55lbs). This bike is not about the hills. It's about an easy to ride bike, that has the ability to be fed 1000w for a few seconds. That's some serious punch to have on tap to get me across a road quickly, or to get me up a short hill easily.

Regarding the torque sensing on the 500w Rize, if it's a good system I'm sure you'll love it. The issue is, they're new. I've seen NO user reviews. That make me hesitant to recommend them. -Al

Back