USA 2G networks shutting down - 2G Theft Recovery will no longer work

mike156

I just received a most unpleasant email from Stromer. Stromer is shutting down 2G connectivity in the USA in one month.

This means if my ST-2 is stolen, I can no longer locate it.

Can I no longer view stats on the app? Engine temp? How about tuning assist level 2?

I spent $7000 on an ST-2 in 2016. My girlfriend bought an ST-2 in 2018.

Theft recovery was a key selling point. App features were key selling points.

Now Stromer is telling us to pay $350 per bike to keep these features.

To say I am displeased would be an understatement.

Edit:

Thread title updated to reflect folks' input. 2g is shutting down in the USA. Verizon is shutting down their 2g on Dec 31st 2019. T-Mobile is shutting theirs down late 2020 from what I read online. I don't know which provider Stromer uses, but it sounds like the monochrome Omni (that is, not the Omni-C) will no longer connect to your app or to Stromer or to anything when the 2g network it uses shuts down.

According to the email, Stromer is discounting the Omni C from $679 to $350 between Jan 12th and June 30th. If I'm reading the pdf attached to the email correctly, the cost includes dealer installation. The bottom of the pdf in small print reads, "incl. installation cost by dealer. myStromer USA reserves the right to change technical data and prices. *The offer is valid from 1.12.2019 - 30.6.2020"

Attachments

• stromer email.png
    stromer email.png
    1 MB · Views: 626
  • onmi c pdf $350 scrnshot.png
    onmi c pdf $350 scrnshot.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 633
Last edited:
I just received a most unpleasant email from Stromer. Stromer is shutting down 2G connectivity in the USA in one month.

This means if my ST-2 is stolen, I can no longer locate it.

Can I no longer view stats on the app? Engine temp? How about tuning assist level 2?

I spent $7000 on an ST-2 in 2016. My girlfriend bought an ST-2 in 2018.

Theft recovery was a key selling point. App features were key selling points.

Now Stromer is telling us to pony up $350 per bike to keep these features.

To say I am displeased would be an understatement.
I ‘m pretty sure it’s the carriers shutting down 2G, ie, Verizon and AT&T, so it’s out of Stromer’s hands. Sorry and wish I had better news for you.

Stromer is shutting down 2G connectivity in the USA in one month.

Stromer has no control over the 2G technology. As telecommunications is moving towards 4G and 5G, network providers are shutting down 2G.
Stromer doesn't decide this, but it is the network providers.

Yes, it sucks, but $350 for an OMNI-C is a pretty good deal. I mean it's a compromise, but at least Stromer is offering a solution with nice discount here.

Is Stromer going to make any money on this deal? I have no idea what their cost of the computer is but it would be nice if they told us that they are just breaking even and this is the best that they can do. Maybe I can justify theft protection for $350. How much would installation add to this cost? Maybe free installation should be included?

Applicable questions: when did Stromer first learn about a shut-down and when did they desist advertising the feature?

Stromer has no control over the 2G technology. As telecommunications is moving towards 4G and 5G, network providers are shutting down 2G.
Stromer doesn't decide this, but it is the network providers.
NO!
The question should be not "Who decided on shutdown", but should be "What did Stromer do meanwhile?" Did they signal honestly, of probable impending doom to their system or did they cash in like sleveens up to the last?

EDIT: Their site is still selling the connectivity and saying NOTHING about the problem. That action seems despicable. People who got taken should capture them still selling.

Last edited:
The question should be not "Who decided on shutdown", but should be "What did Stromer do meanwhile?" Did they signal honestly probable impending doom to their system or did they cash in like sleveens up to the last?

EDIT: Their site is still selling the connectivity and saying NOTHING about the problem. Lawsuits may well be due. Do capture them still selling.
The thread title states Stromer is shutting down 2G. This should be corrected by the OP.

My 2019 R&M was “new” for a millisecond, and then Bosch announced new motors. I get being annoyed at the tech lifecycle, but the OP and others are talking about 2016 bikes that are no longer sold, AFAIK, so probably no “cashing in up to the last.”

A 60-day window or greater would have been preferable with the holidays coming up. OTOH, they didn’t have to discount this transition part, either.

The thread title states Stromer is shutting down 2G. This should be corrected by the OP.

My 2019 R&M was “new” for a millisecond, and then Bosch announced new motors. I get being annoyed at the tech lifecycle, but the OP and others are talking about 2016 bikes that are no longer sold, AFAIK, so probably no “cashing in up to the last.”

A 60-day window or greater would have been preferable with the holidays coming up. OTOH, they didn’t have to discount this transition part, either.

Thanks.
Do you mean that no accredited Stromer dealers were still selling any affected bikes?
How to know what year?
How's this one? https://www.amegoev.com/stromer-stromer-st1-elite.html
This one? https://www.amegoev.com/stromer-st2-black-20-ideal-for-59-to-61-814wh-48v1.html

Last edited:
Thanks.
Do you mean that no accredited Stromer dealers were still selling any affected bikes?
How to know what year?
How's this one? https://www.amegoev.com/stromer-stromer-st1-elite.html

We can’t know what the sales rep is telling a prospective customer at that dealership. I’m sure dealers get that part for less than $350, so perhaps they are upgrading their old stock, who knows? I’m guessing Stromer, the company, sold that bike a good while ago. Pure speculation, of course.

I was in an Uber recently with a driver who works full-time for the phone company. I was surprised to hear that they are phasing out landline copper. I remember when people used to say it would be around forever because of hospitals, blah-blah. Not so. If I were looking at an ebike today that relied on 2G, I would certainly investigate whether the network would be around for a while. The people who have owned their bikes for a while are stuck with this additional charge, but that’s better than the box of Betamax tapes my mom has in the basement!

We can’t know what the sales rep is telling a prospective customer at that dealership.
We can know and capture the conversations. They're saying nothing about it obviously on their pages. Stromer has NO responsibility for what their accredited sellers do?
Then I'd guess that the responsibility lies fully with Stromer for not issuing a prominent warning on THEIR site.

The question should be ... "What did Stromer do meanwhile?" Did they signal honestly, of probable impending doom to their system or did they cash in like sleveens up to the last?

Obviously, you're not familiar with my posting from July 7th 2018!

Here the link to this 1½year old message. Once you opened the attachment, you'll find information about the OMNI C. The shift from 2G to 5G was not surprising for Stromer; the company has already developed the solution and integrated in their e-bikes.

Obviously, you're not familiar with my posting from July 7th 2018!

Here the link to this 1½year old message. Once you opened the attachment, you'll find information about the OMNI C. The shift from 2G to 5G was not surprising for Stromer; the company has already developed the solution and integrated in their e-bikes.
Since they knew long ago, then where is their warning to customers?

The PDF linked in the Stromer email shows the OMNI C as "3G". Is that 3G only? How long will that be supported?

"AT&T to shut down 3G network in 2022; Verizon at end of 2019"
"United States Cellular Carrier 2G/3G Shutdown Dates"

I have two ST2s in the SF Bay Area -- having the GPS/anti-theft tracking is part of the reason I have those bikes.

Anyone here done their own OMNI C upgrades?

They obviously considered foreknowledge to be a very important matter for themselves to deal with and had to arrange THEIR plans accordingly.
Doesn't it seem as though making sure their potential new customer had forewarning regarding the affected products, would be a decent thing to do?

Doesn't it seem as though making sure their potential new customer had forewarning regarding the affected products, would be a decent thing to do?

All in July 2018 announced Stromer MY 2019 have the color 3G OMNI.

It's the customer's own decision, to buy the all new model or to buy last years model from the dealsers stock.

All in July 2018 announced Stromer MY 2019 have the color 3G OMNI.

It's the customer's own decision, to buy the all new model or to buy last years model from the dealsers stock.
But deals aren't only about the ability of the customer to accept or decline.

But deals aren't only about the ability of the customer to accept or decline.

That's true - the risk is always on both sides.

On the one hand the entrepreneurial risk, on the other hand the users risk for an unsatisfying product.

Maybe you bought a new TV on the past years. If you chosen the 3D-technology, you find yourself in a dead end: Only few content. If you chosen the 4K-technology, you find yourself in a waiting position: Only your actioncam provides 4K - and these movies looking horrible on the big screen. Both very unpleasant situations. But do you see LG or Samsung providing you a refund or something else to make your situation better?

Back