UK ebike motors plagued by failing motors

Rás Cnoic

I'd agree with this article. Keep coming accross forums about motor replacements/damage from water. Perhaps because we have winter conditions that are generally mild (Over 0c degrees mostly) but very wet. Plus summer conditions that are mild but very wet! (10-25c with rare heatwaves above 25c - it's mid June and average temp right now is just 13-15c Brrrr!) this means you can cycle all year but in very soggy boggy & frequently flooding conditions.

An interview with the eBike Motor Centre a while back said that most motors do not have good enough seals to stop water ingress, but that things are slowly improving. This seems crazy to me with delicate electronics vulnerable to water damage and positioned so low to ground you'd think the first step the manufacturers would have sorted would be rock solid seals to stop water getting in.

And in case anyone isn't yet aware never ever ever use a pressure washer to clean your bike. Even with a hose I'm now careful with not pointing it directly at the bottom bracket area!

Back