UK bike thieves steal then re-steal.

Ihor

Region
Canada
City
Calgary
This is pretty unlike any typical bike theft crime ring we’ve heard about before. First reported on Cycling Electric, the gangs still start with stealing e-bikes, but then fit the bikes with third party trackers. This means when they sell the bikes to unwitting buyers, they can then track the location of the bikes and re-steal them.

The lesson being if you purchase a second hand bike, check it damn carefully for trackers.

I'm not sure why this gang wants to re-steal a bike when there are so many others available?

Buy an authentic bike and keep it in sight. Tech is not an answer. Eyes with proximity are.
I've been taking my bike in stores for quite a while now and no one gives me a hard time. Home Depot, Walgreens, Acme super market... even when I go for a haircut.
Now I don't recommend that anyone else do this... you'll f*ck it up on me! 🙃

I always take a bike inside a retail location. It takes less space than a shopping cart. If a retailer were to object then they do not get my money. It takes 1/10th less real estate than a parking space. No one gives me a hard time. I made a custom cargo bike for a mom. She went to Whole Foods to buy fish on a Friday afternoon. She took the bike in with her to the fish monger counter. He was so impressed with her and her bike that he put a N/C sticker on the fish. At checkout she was not charged.

Let’s hope this becomes normal at all retail outlets.
thanks for this.
Local bike shops here rarely have bike stand inside or even outside for customers. The occasional inside ones are old and not designed for MTB tires or disks. Luckily my commuter has kickstand.

One is through 2 doors and up few steps with nowhere outside to lock bike up. Don't visit that shop.

Back