Turbo Batteries - 2013 and beyond

Douglas Ruby

Region
USA
City
Groton
As the Specialized Turbo family (not Levo) progresses I have been looking at battery capacity and trying to understand what options might be available if I were to purchase a second battery. Here are the various form compatible Turbo battery specs:

2013 Turbo - 342Wh (9.5Ah)
2015 Turbo - 468Wh (13Ah)
2015 Turbo X- 468Wh (13Ah)
2o15 Turbo S - 504Wh (14Ah) - $687.65 replacement
2016 Turbo FLR - 368Wh (11Ah)
2016 Turbo - 468Wh (13Ah)
2016 Turbo X- 562Wh (15.6Ah)- includes bluetooth
2016 Turbo S - 691Wh (19.2Ah) - $999 replacement includes bluetooth

It appears that the 2014/15 Turbo S battery at $687.65 is now the mail order replacement battery for the base Turbo and any older model (base, X, or S). The is a 0%-47% increase from the older stock batteries. The Turbo SC battery at $999 is the intended mail order replacement for the 2016 Turbo X and Turbo S. This would be a 47.6% - 102% increase over older batteries, but it is currently backordered. As far as I know, either can be used on any Turbo model.

Doug

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the bluetooth batts wouldn't work on the base Turbo. I can't remember where I read it though.

In this post, both the service rep and the documentation indicate that the 691Wh battery will work in ALL Turbos. Also when you read the description of the IOS app, it clearly states all Turbos as well...

Hi guys, I just got this reply from Olivia Bleitz, the business manager of the Specialized Turbo line, after she communicated with the Turbo product manager, Marco Sonderegger, in Switzerland. This is regarding the use of the new Turbo S battery in the base Turbo:

"Hi Doug,

I hope you had a nice weekend and got some riding in if the weather wasn’t too bad! I heard back from the Turbo product manager and have some information for you!
  • Yes, you can use the Turbo S battery to get a longer range on your Turbo
  • Yes, if you purchase the new Turbo S 694wh battery you can use the Mission Control app
Please let me know if you have any additional questions and thank you again for taking the time to tell me about your experience!

Thanks!
Olivia"

I tested the 691Wh battery in my 2013 Turbo S. The battery did work. However, the light switch on the LCD screen did not work anymore. The switch on the light itself did work though. I don't know if it is a firmware issue on my older model (no updates have been done to it). I did NOT test the bluetooth functionality nor the corresponding app.

My dealer told me they are coming out with a firmware upgrade where the lights won't stay in during charging anymore. And the mission control app needs a lot of work. It is very buggy. Unusable in my mind right now.

Hi guys, I just got this reply from Olivia Bleitz, the business manager of the Specialized Turbo line, after she communicated with the Turbo product manager, Marco Sonderegger, in Switzerland. This is regarding the use of the new Turbo S battery in the base Turbo:

"Hi Doug,

I hope you had a nice weekend and got some riding in if the weather wasn’t too bad! I heard back from the Turbo product manager and have some information for you!
  • Yes, you can use the Turbo S battery to get a longer range on your Turbo
  • Yes, if you purchase the new Turbo S 694wh battery you can use the Mission Control app
Please let me know if you have any additional questions and thank you again for taking the time to tell me about your experience!

Thanks!
Olivia"

Yeah ... I stopped at the store and popped in a battery from the floor model Turbo S ... zero issues

Just bought the 2016 Turbo S battery and tried it in my 2015 Turbo X. It works, but I feel that I´m getting much less power in turbo mode than before...

Just bought the 2016 Turbo S battery and tried it in my 2015 Turbo X. It works, but I feel that I´m getting much less power in turbo mode than before...

Interesting ... stop by the dealer and see if they can do some troubleshooting with the software. I was told that if I would would upgrade the motor hub the system would have to be reprogrammed. The controller might have similar trouble with the new battery

Might have to take that back. I biked to work this morning (37 km) and wasn´t happy with power and never got up to 40-45 km/h. Then I went for a short spin to get some lunch and there was no problem. I will have Another testrun on my way home... Happy with range though, battery used to be 18-22% left on arrival (when new), now 46%.

Just realized the reason for my problem with power. The battery was about 0 deg celcius when took the first ride. On my way home, it was room temperature :) It makes a huge difference!

Just bought a 2015 Turbo, but battery it came with is SBC-B05, or 19Ah/691Wh. But no mention of Mission Control Ap for this bike. Also noted that the motor is a SBC-M01, which is a 250Watt motor, rather than the 200watt motor I expected. Am I missing something? Can I run that mission control app?

Hey @jrlieber - It looks like you have neither the battery nor the motor from a 2015 (base) Turbo. Want to post a picture and any other identifying info and perhaps someone else on here can help identify? Also, in case you didn't see it on the other thread, I believe there's a known issue that the iPhone 7 doesn't work with Mission Control (yet).

Here are pix from the battery - Notice lower right corner : SBC B05 - 19AH/691Wh. And then date of battery 8/27/15.
IMG_5430.jpg
IMG_5431.jpg

Then this is picture of motor. Note SBC-M01, and 250W Nominal.
IMG_5429.jpg
It just may be I was lucky and my "turbo" is quite a bit more than the standard "turbo". Really can't complain for $2500US.
Of note: today used about 50% of this battery to go 17 miles in Seattle. Some hills, sometimes on 60%Eco, but morning commute on full turbo. So my guess is about 30-35 miles for emptying the battery. Not sure whether this is more like the 691Wh or not.

Very interesting. The 2015 Turbo S had the 250W motor, but not the 691Wh battery. You have a nice bike. 30-35 miles at full Turbo seems about right. I get closer to 40 miles with my 200W motor and the same battery. Enjoy your ride.

Yeah Ruby. Totally lucky!! Who would have thought. I rode a couple Strommers, as well as a Felt and Trek. Ultimately liked this the best, and after some careful research, thought the $2500 price tag was a good deal. They wanted to sell me a 2015 Turbo S for $4200, but it didn't seem like it had much more. Almost looks like I've got a Turbo S now, for $2500. The only thing goofy right now is every time I recharge the battery, it completely resets the odometer, and the trip meter. Not sure exactly how that's supposed to work. I tried to reset just the trip meter, but maybe the trip meter resets automatically every time I recharge the battery and I reset the odometer? Thanks for the info! Enjoy YOUR ride!!

Back