Trek Corporate Retail Store Acquisition Challenges

Alaskan

Over the past two years I have patronized our local Trek store in Bellingham for parts, accessories and most importantly for repairs on my Riese & Muller bikes. The nearest Riese & Muller dealer is almost 100 miles away. They were not selling R&M when I bought my first one so I developed a great relationship with LA Fly Rides. Although I am a reasonably capable mechanic there are times when I need a pro. As both Trek and Riese & Muller use Bosch electrical systems and Trek has a policy of working on any bike, the local store just a mile from my house was a great option.

I really came to like and admire how the store was staffed. Great manager, friendly helpful crew all around with very capable, well trained mechanics. I liked them so much and had a chance to learn more about Trek products, hanging around there, I ended up buying a new Allant+9.9s from them. It has had more than its share of problems but the mechanic is a gem and has been on top of every issue.

Then covid 19 arrived. The store stayed open but with stringent hygiene procedures. The manager's family situation dictated he resign and move back to his home stat

That left the crew without a manager for weeks with little communication, asking more and more of them.. Many of them quit, leaving them without a mechanic and me with my nice new Allant and no local support, at least for now.

This is what happens in America these days. Some corporate behemoth with a bunch of MBA bean counters thinks that they can take over the world. In the case of Trek, they bought out many of their established dealer's shops and put them under corporate control. The Bellingham shop had been under local ownership for over 40 years and was a respected local business. The owner got a nice, fat retirement package and now the shop he built has no one to run it.

I really like my new bike but one of the reasons I bought it, and an important one, is no longer valid. Hoping the new crew measure up to the one that was there when I bought my bike.

Last edited:
So much for all of the Corporate blather of "we're all in this together."

What a shame.:mad:

This Is so frustrating to deal with and even hear about. I think this is all I have experienced on my bike purchases.

I honestly feel for you and think this is a large problem. Warranty means nothing if you can’t use it. Bike is worthless if you can get any repairs, even small ones.

This is why I no longer will buy a Stromer. You do your research , make friends and support a business specifically and boom you are so left out in the cold through no fault of your own ( as far as I can tell).

Happened to BH too, dropped out of US after I purchased a bike from them.

I hope I am not the kiss of death for WattWagon.

Alaskan,
You're right, shame.

My quick check seems to be "Trek USA" is incorprated in Spain?
"Corporate told him"? Sounds quite unAmerican today.
Sure want the U$ Greenbacks

M

Last edited:
I'm not defending Trek here, but did all the employees seriously quit? The store is closed now? It seems like a strange time for folks to give up their jobs.

In Atlanta, there are no shortage of Trek shops. I'm guessing at least 10 and none of them are owned by Trek corporate. I knew some shops elsewhere were owned by Trek but I assumed that was because: 1. There wasn't a shop in a market Trek wanted to be in 2. The Local owner wanted to retire or 3. The local owner did not meet Trek standards and lost the shop. Is Trek really trying to buy up the retailers?

Over the past two years I have patronized our local Trek store in Bellingham for parts, accessories and most importantly for repairs on my Riese & Muller bikes. The nearest Riese & Muller dealer is almost 100 miles away. They were not selling R&M when I bought my first one so I developed a great relationship with LA Fly Rides. Although I am a reasonably capable mechanic there are times when I need a pro. As both Trek and Riese & Muller use Bosch electrical systems and Trek has a policy of working on any bike, the local store just a mile from my house was a great option.

I really came to like and admire how the store was staffed. Great manager, friendly helpful crew all around with very capable, well trained mechanics. I liked them so much and had a chance to learn more about Trek products, hanging around there, I ended up buying a new Allant+9.9s from them. It has had more than its share of problems but the mechanic is a gem and has been on top of every issue.

Then covid 19 arrived. The store stayed open but with stringent hygiene procedures. The manager's wife, who's is an ER nurse, started having to work extra shifts. They have young kids. He was making it work with the help of his staff. He started doing more at home to take care of the kiddies while she was working at the hospital...making his calls to customers, suppliers, corporate, etc. doing what he could from home and still being a good dad.

Then corporate told him he had to come into the shop and forced him to chose between his kids or his job. Being a really good guy he made the right choice and resigned.

Then corporate left the crew without a manager for weeks with little communication, asking more and more of them without any real support. So the rest of them quit, leaving me with my nice new Allant and no local support, at least for now.

This is what happens in America these days. Some corporate behemoth with a bunch of arrogant MBA bean counters thinks that they can take over the world. In the case of Trek, they bought out many of their established dealer's shops and put them under corporate control. The Bellingham shop had been under local ownership for over 40 years and was a respected local business. The owner got a nice, fat retirement package and now the shop he built has no one to run it.

I really like my new bike but one of the reasons I bought it, and an important one, is no longer valid. Talk about leaving a bitter taste.
So disheartening to hear this:mad:

I'm not defending Trek here, but did all the employees seriously quit? The store is closed now? It seems like a strange time for folks to give up their jobs.

In Atlanta, there are no shortage of Trek shops. I'm guessing at least 10 and none of them are owned by Trek corporate. I knew some shops elsewhere were owned by Trek but I assumed that was because: 1. There wasn't a shop in a market Trek wanted to be in 2. The Local owner wanted to retire or 3. The local owner did not meet Trek standards and lost the shop. Is Trek really trying to buy up the retailers?
A couple of newbee sales staff stayed on but there is no manager or mechanic for now.

This Is so frustrating to deal with and even hear about. I think this is all I have experienced on my bike purchases.

I honestly feel for you and think this is a large problem. Warranty means nothing if you can’t use it. Bike is worthless if you can get any repairs, even small ones.

This is why I no longer will buy a Stromer. You do your research , make friends and support a business specifically and boom you are so left out in the cold through no fault of your own ( as far as I can tell).

Happened to BH too, dropped out of US after I purchased a bike from them.

I hope I am not the kiss of death for WattWagon.

I emailed to BH Spain about an issue, 2 days later problem solved !!

I see Specialized, Rad, Aventon doing good here in US in near future.

Sorry to hear Alaskan, that is pretty frustrating. You pay a premium for a brand like Trek and you expect them to be on top of problems.

Sorry to hear Alaskan, that is pretty frustrating. You pay a premium for a brand like Trek and you expect them to be on top of problems.
Think he wants service on his R&M's.

" I have patronized our local Trek store in Bellingham for parts, accessories and most importantly for repairs on my Riese & Muller bikes. "

Last edited:
In Atlanta, there are no shortage of Trek shops. I'm guessing at least 10 and none of them are owned by Trek corporate. I knew some shops elsewhere were owned by Trek but I assumed that was because:

1. There wasn't a shop in a market Trek wanted to be in
2. The Local owner wanted to retire or
3. The local owner did not meet Trek standards and lost the shop. Is Trek really trying to buy up the retailers?

Unfortunately, many people are willing to leave their jobs because they know they can collect more in job protection benefits than continuing to work... sad but true.
Their previous employer often does not dispute their unemployment claim of being impacted by Covid-19 layoffs. I have already seen this happen in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
Yikes I hate it when a trusted shop changes ownership or management and/or relied-upon employees turn over. My local Trek shop I don't think is a corporate store. They sell mostly Trek but also Tern and R&M. But I have a couple of folks there I really rely on. Usually they are really responsive and are quick to respond to my requests. But since they recently reopened, I haven't been able to get much if anything in the way of response. The only contact is via web, email or phone. A few days after they reopened, they updated their website to say they are booked into June with service appointments. I heard they had over 400 calls on their first day open. So yes, I am also without service now for my Trek and Terns. An acquaintance also told me he contacted them for service and was put into a queue with an estimate of later in June.

My personal observation is this crisis has revealed some extraordinary adaptability on the part of workers, often while juggling parenting and schooling duties, and instances of small minded inflexibility on the part of those further up the chain, either too threatened or too protective of face to face working practices to adapt.

The best managerial responses I've seen involve just getting out of the way and trusting staff to do their best under the circumstances. I think the vast majority of us worker bees are giving it our all.

Sounds like you've lost a truly stellar LBS crew @Alaskan. Perhaps a few well drafted and well directed letters Trek HQs way will see a change of heart?

My personal observation is this crisis has revealed some extraordinary adaptability on the part of workers, often while juggling parenting and schooling duties, and instances of small minded inflexibility on the part of those further up the chain, either too threatened or too protective of face to face working practices to adapt.

The best managerial responses I've seen involve just getting out of the way and trusting staff to do their best under the circumstances. I think the vast majority of us worker bees are giving it our all.

Sounds like you've lost a truly stellar LBS crew @Alaskan. Perhaps a few well drafted and well directed letters Trek HQs way will see a change of heart?
Contact the old mechanic, I’m sure he would be happy to do work from his house. He could probably use the money

That's sad. Corporates, no matter how much they say they care, are usually unforgiving when it comes to their employees. I hope they realize their mistake and make it right.

I have done just that. He will be rebuilding the rear wheel on my Allant +9.9s with an Onyx hub He has his resume around the area and I have written a letter of recommendation for him.
Great to hear Richard. Happy that you were able to find a quick resolution to your problem. Great results for great people! 🤣

Back